Holding call stats confirmed

Pants

Reaction score
I really appreciate the analysis. Your a good man for doing it. You should send it to the Cowboys HQ (seriously) and have them bring it up to the league. We have too many guys blitzing for this data to make sense.

I have actually thought about making a bells & whistles versions of the stats (not just penalties) if I thought anyone would review there, maybe if I send with a bottle of crown royal?

and, have never used google docs, etc that some are suggesting that I use to put in here...if I get time this weekend, perhaps

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

Your hero worship of the refs is looking sort of ridiculous. Evidence, which you won’t address, is piling up. Evidence of bias and extreme inconsistency. Not a conspiracy. Bias.

Just make your snide comments and don’t offer any explanation. That’s what really smart people do in a discussion. Which we all know you are.

8 games with no holds is hard to explain away. A hall of fame player illegally slammed well after the play was dead is hard to defend.

You can’t and won’t.

:lmao2:

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Ok, so I was in and out of watching the game yesterday so I may have missed a holding call on the OLine of the Chargers. But I had to see for myself if there is collusion against Dallas so I can sleep at night. So, since I am a Microsoft Excel guy, I dropped ALL penalties for ALL teams from NFL.com into a spreadsheet. Some interesting things (includes turkey day games):

1) Opponents OL have only held Dallas 4 times this year (not a typo, FOUR); last hold from an OL against Dallas was in 3rd quarter of AZ game against Veldheer (yes, I have all of the stats, even who committed the infraction); but, none of us missed this one, we are not exaggerating
2) Dallas has been flagged for 17 offensive holding calls by our OL (most in the NFL)
- there have been 322 of these in the league so far
- next up: Den, Det, Sea all with 16
- NFCE teams: NYG (10), Phil (7), Was (5) - again, not a typo even though they have had a revolving door at OL this year
3) Offensive penalties (total): Dallas with 22 (8 teams have more)
- fewest in the league? GB, NE, CLE, ATL, PHI (in that order)
- NFCE teams: NYG (21), Phil (15), Was (17)

Now, I seem to see a lot of penalties called on our DB's, so I had to check that out

1) Our DB's have 22 penalties against them, good for 4th in the league (only NYJ, KS, SEA have more)
- PI=9, Holding=9
- NFCE teams: NYG (14, pi=9, h=3), Phil (10, pi=5,h=3), Was (17, pi=3, h=5)
2) Opponent's DB's had a grand total of 15 penalties called against them (pi=4, h=5)

This irritates me...I can almost see the penalties on the DB's since there are rookies in there but it is still proportionally too high, but the OL stats are SO BLATANTLY obvious;

Want more?

TOTAL penalties by OLine by opponents:

1) 12 OL penalties against dallas opponents - LOWEST IN THE LEAGUE
- NFCE teams: NYG (35), Phil (19), Was (30)
2) BY MONTH, opponent OL penalties V Dallas
- Sep (5), Oct (3), Nov (4, 3 of those were false starts by KC)

I can't make this stuff up....

--------

thanks for taking the time to do that... Would be great to know how many of those non holds were of the throw down or rear of the jersey grabbing that we saw in the last game.

Also throw in the after the play throw down of witten, and no unsportsmanlike call

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't see how you can see how can separate this issue from how anemic our offense has looked. We can barely score points partially because any momentum we get is negated by penalties, and other teams are helped by refs suddenly becoming blind. I don't even think Zeke's presence will help us win games. We may score more, but not enough to win.

The league had to have Jerry rue the day he went up against them. Do you really think they would have a Zeke-less Cowboys winning games, after all they went through the get him suspended and stick it to Jerry? I wouldn't be surprised if we go 5-11 only to have them take away draft picks to further punish Jerry.

yup...wouldn't shock me either.:(

Pants

Reaction score
--------

thanks for taking the time to do that... Would be great to know how many of those non holds were of the throw down or rear of the jersey grabbing that we saw in the last game.

Also throw in the after the play throw down of witten, and no unsportsmanlike call

the NFL doesn't measure that, the bast***s :D

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Has Garrett gotten mad once at the refs and in their face? How does he not when they slammed Witten to the ground?

It’s one thing to suck at coaching, but the way in which garrett sucks is infuriating.

He always throws his players under the bus, never takes responsibility when they lose, and never does **** on the sidelines besides clap.

He is the softest, fakest, most uninspiring cowardice fraud of a coach.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Your hero worship of the refs is looking sort of ridiculous. Evidence, which you won’t address, is piling up. Evidence of bias and extreme inconsistency. Not a conspiracy. Bias.

Just make your snide comments and don’t offer any explanation. That’s what really smart people do in a discussion. Which we all know you are.

8 games with no holds is hard to explain away. A hall of fame player illegally slammed well after the play was dead is hard to defend.

You can’t and won’t.

:lmao2:

It’s not my responsibility to explain why there’s not a spaghetti monster on your roof.

You think pointing to the fact you ate pasta three out of the last seven days is evidence enough.

Conspiracy theorists love to make connections but never can actually identify the dots.

You’d be corrected in a high school and laughed out of a college classroom for presenting such limited data and then forwarding such dim-witted theories based off it.

Last edited:

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
You gotta send a bottle of johnny walker blue to get the ball rolling ;)

I have actually thought about making a bells & whistles versions of the stats (not just penalties) if I thought anyone would review there, maybe if I send with a bottle of crown royal?

and, have never used google docs, etc that some are suggesting that I use to put in here...if I get time this weekend, perhaps

Proof

Reaction score
It’s not my responsibility to explain why there’s not a spaghetti monster on your roof.

You think pointing to the fact you ate pasta three out of the last seven days is evidence enough.

Conspiracy theorists love to make connections but never can actually identify the dots.

You’d be corrected in a high school and laughed out of a college classroom for presenting such limited data and then forwarding such dim-witted theories based off it.

It’s pretty damn tough to just dismiss the lack of holding calls. Maybe it is just coincidence, but when you’ve got the leading sacker in the league and top three as a team, you’d think there’d be holds just out of circumstance. 7 straight games (or whatever it is at this point) without one is very suspect. And offensive holding is second only to PI as the most impacting penalty you can have

Kaiser

Reaction score
A holding call on the offensive line is a drive killer penalty. Or in several cases against us this year...TD reversing calls.

Exactly, I posted the same thing right after the game. When Dak had a great run to even the score, they found a penalty to call. That not only killed the score but killed the drive by moving the chains back.

Then when the Chargers have a big play to put the game out of reach, DLaw is literally tackled and there is no call.

Its not the penalty, its the timing of the penalty. I've said it for years - if you watch the games of the Goodell era where a team starts to pull away in the first half (meaning no one will watch the second half and advertising dollars will drop) there are always flags to keep the score close. Which keeps the fans watching, which keeps advertising money flowing into the NFL.

Kaiser

Reaction score
What does it matter when the conspiracists claim every game is rigged?

If you search my posts I've told posters for years that the calls even out and they aren't throwing flags to beat the Cowboys. On the Dez Bryant call against GB I posted that it didn't matter because Rodgers would have brought them back to win the game anyway.

But now there is a long, clear pattern of the calls influencing the game against the Cowboys. That isn't a spaggetti monster, that is seeing my hand in front of my face.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Our play callers deserve some conspiracy investigation as well
The problem is the design of the offense. When every play in your book is plain and predictable it doesn’t matter much which one you pick.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If you search my posts I've told posters for years that the calls even out and they aren't throwing flags to beat the Cowboys. On the Dez Bryant call against GB I posted that it didn't matter because Rodgers would have brought them back to win the game anyway.

But now there is a long, clear pattern of the calls influencing the game against the Cowboys. That isn't a spaggetti monster, that is seeing my hand in front of my face.
They should add a 50 like button, I'd use it on this post.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Awesome. Maybe when the team is actually competitive these will actually matter?

But since we're talking about penalties here's some more info: only TWO teams have FEWER penalties called against them per game this season. TWO.

So while we're obsessing over holding calls as proof of some sort of vendetta, we're ignoring the fact that 29 teams have more penalties called against them than the Dallas Cowboys. Twenty-nine teams.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game
Try this page.

Opponent penalties - Dallas #32
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-penalties-per-game

This matches the primary complaint that there are minimal penalties called against the Cowboys opponents. It's much easier to not call a penalty than to call the Cowboys for something that is not really a penalty.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Actually the 85 bears could win with a 6 point offensive output. Point well taken though.
Had the 1985 Bears scored 6 points in each game, they would have been 3-12-1 in the regular season if the opponents had scored what they actually did that year. If Ditka had known his team would only score 6 points however, the Bears would have probably won more games.

romothesavior

Reaction score
Awesome. Maybe when the team is actually competitive these will actually matter?

But since we're talking about penalties here's some more info: only TWO teams have FEWER penalties called against them per game this season. TWO.

So while we're obsessing over holding calls as proof of some sort of vendetta, we're ignoring the fact that 29 teams have more penalties called against them than the Dallas Cowboys. Twenty-nine teams.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game
Thank you. A little bit of sanity is refreshing.