Horn probably the pick

Plankton

Reaction score
Stats are good for fans who don’t watch football so things become easily digestible for them which makes people like me who actually watch these players just want to cry when you try to tell me Surtain is a more aggressive player than Horn.

Dude, you're full of it. You said in the last month that you haven't paid that much attention to the draft, and now you're saying that you have watched these players enough to know the difference? You kidding me?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dude, you're full of it. You said in the last month that you haven't paid that much attention to the draft, and now you're saying that you have watched these players enough to know the difference? You kidding me?

Well time has gone by and I’ve started watching them more and more since they are the standout guys that everyone is talking about and it’s as clear as day that Jaycee Horn is a far more aggressive corner than Surtain but I’m sorry whatever stat you used to quantify what I’m saying as false failed you.

And yes I’ve watched enough of both.

Carson

Reaction score
We’ll time has gone by and I’ve started watching them more and more since they are the standout guys that everyone is talking about and it’s as clear as day that Jaycee Horn is a far more aggressive corner than Surtain but I’m sorry whatever stat you used to quantify what I’m saying as false failed you.
Watch Horn against Devonta Smith (it’s not pretty). Yes, I know Smith is a heisman winning first round pick. But he likely ends up in Philly or New York. So you’re facing him twice a year

Plankton

Reaction score
Well time has gone by and I’ve started watching them more and more since they are the standout guys that everyone is talking about and it’s as clear as day that Jaycee Horn is a far more aggressive corner than Surtain but I’m sorry whatever stat you used to quantify what I’m saying as false failed you.

And yes I’ve watched enough of both.

Nowhere in my retort did I say that Surtain was more aggressive than Horn. What the stats show is that the only place where Horn outperformed Surtain was in committing penalties. In their testing, the numbers are marginally different. One guy is big into film study, and the other is more aggressive and will have to adapt his method of engagement to be able to succeed in the pros.

I look at this as being similar to 1992. The two top corners in that draft year were Terrell Buckley and Troy Vincent. Buckley ended up going at #5, because the Packers (and a lot of people) liked his aggressiveness. Vincent was regarded as more of a technician. It doesn't take a deep dive to see who had the better career.

Truthfully, I don't want a corner at #10. The Cowboys are in a spot where the positions that would provide the most impact don't have the talent commensurate with being picked at 10.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nowhere in my retort did I say that Surtain was more aggressive than Horn. What the stats show is that the only place where Horn outperformed Surtain was in committing penalties. In their testing, the numbers are marginally different. One guy is big into film study, and the other is more aggressive and will have to adapt his method of engagement to be able to succeed in the pros.

I look at this as being similar to 1992. The two top corners in that draft year were Terrell Buckley and Troy Vincent. Buckley ended up going at #5, because the Packers (and a lot of people) liked his aggressiveness. Vincent was regarded as more of a technician. It doesn't take a deep dive to see who had the better career.

Truthfully, I don't want a corner at #10. The Cowboys are in a spot where the positions that would provide the most impact don't have the talent commensurate with being picked at 10.

Sorry if I came at you aggressive.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Watch Horn against Devonta Smith (it’s not pretty). Yes, I know Smith is a heisman winning first round pick. But he likely ends up in Philly or New York. So you’re facing him twice a year

I’m drafting Horn with the thought that he has a lot of room to grow as to where Surtain is very polished already.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I have been a Jaycee Horn guy for a while... word is both Witt and Quinn want a player who is man to man cover guy and Horn fits that bill better than Surtain Jr.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
The easy answer to this is that both of them will be the best corner on the team the day they step on the field. Will be happy with either

Aven8

Reaction score
According to the coaches we will be playing a lot more man to man than zone. If that’s the case Horn is the best at that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys like to release audio clips in the war room once the draft is over. The audio I want to be released is the discussion in the war room of which CB is the better pick at 10. I think that would be an interesting sound bite. Jaycee Horn is the dog I want in our fight but Patrick Surtain II is the more polished CB at this time.

Carson

Reaction score
I have been a Jaycee Horn guy for a while... word is both Witt and Quinn want a player who is man to man cover guy and Horn fits that bill better than Surtain Jr.
Some nuggets

Horn : According to Sports Info Solutions, he ranks third in the draft class with 1.5 yards allowed per man-coverage snap, fifth with 1.3 receptions allowed per game and ninth with 18.6 yards allowed per game. He gave up a 31 percent catch rate and missed three tackles (18 percent). He played frequently in the slot (34 percent).

Surtain : In three seasons, Surtain started 38 games and intercepted four passes and added four forced fumbles. In 2020, he had one interception and 13 passes defensed to be a unanimous first-team All-American and SEC Defensive Player of the Year. According to Sports Info Solutions, Surtain allowed a 40 percent catch rate and gave up two touchdowns in 2020. Pro Football Focus said Surtain played 662 snaps of press coverage the last two seasons, almost 200 more than any other prospect. His press-man rate of 59 percent was by far the most in the draft class, per SIS. According to SIS, he ranks 10th in the draft class with 19.3 yards allowed per game. He missed three tackles (8 percent).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Oh I’m not anti Horn at all. I love his fierceness and competitiveness. He reminds of being a dog like Jalen Ramsey.

Just debating and trying to educate myself on these further before tomorrow
He is actually training with Ramsey. I'm fine with either player, but many on this board don't think Horn is worthy of the 10th pick, which is false.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He is actually training with Ramsey. I'm fine with either player, but many on this board don't think Horn is worthy of the 10th pick, which is false.
Yeah, they’re still stuck on what the “experts” were saying about Horn at the beginning of the pre-draft process. They heard Horn was a mid to late first round pick, and that is still what he is in a lot of fans minds.

That isn’t what he is though. Through the process, it has become clear that Horn is very good... good enough in fact that there are teams that now view Horn as CB1 in this draft. He’s a really good prospect and frankly, I’m not sure who is better, Surtain or Horn.

They are that close in my mind. Either would be great for Dallas.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, they’re still stuck on what the “experts” were saying about Horn at the beginning of the pre-draft process. They heard Horn was a mid to late first round pick, and that is still what he is in a lot of fans minds.

That isn’t what he is though. Through the process, it has become clear that Horn is very good... good enough in fact that there are teams that now view Horn as CB1 in this draft. He’s a really good prospect and frankly, I’m not sure who is better, Surtain or Horn.

Neither has separated themselves as being the clear #1 corner in the class. I would be happy with either. Surtain is very polarizing from this fanbase, I've heard some outrageous things even on this board, which tells me most here would be disappointed in Horn, which they shouldn't be.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score

Agreed.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Unless someone unexpected drops or we trade back thinking we’re picking Horn at 10. Think they want someone with attitude and better athlete than Surtain. Regardless I hope they trade 44 and a 3rd round pick to get back in late 1st early second to get another solid player that has dropped - ideally safety/lb or dt. Then with other 3rd I’m picking speed wr to play slot and be punt/kickoff man or solid ol guy.
I’ll toast to it if he is.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
My gut tells me that they like Horn more then Surtain. Forget about the media big boards, Horn is reportedly liked much higher by the NFL Scouts and is worthy of that selection.
Plus he’s 20 and could still be growing