'Horns in Trouble

joseephuss

Reaction score
Let me say this again, the Texas Longhorns have not had an offensive lineman drafted since 2008. The Texas freaking Longhorns have not had an offensive lineman drafted since 2008. Not one player was drafted last year for the first time in 80 years. Mack Brown was fat, lazy and flat out stealing $5 million a year. Now we have idiots questioning Strong after 3 games. Damn we have stupid fans.

Even the few offensive linemen that were drafted in the 2 or 3 years prior to 2008 were not that good at the NFL level.

Texas had some decent draft classes, but they have failed to develop many of those guys at all levels. They weren't developed physically, mentally or in maturity.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I will say their defensive players were far and away ahead of the offensive players, as far as development goes. The defensive players that made it to the NFL have dominated as a group, compared to the offensive players.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Swoopes is horrible, I almost feel sorry for him, he really has no business even being here

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Yep, he looks bad. I don't think a healthy Ash would have been much better.

I think Ash would be much more of an effective pro-style QB, but Swoopes is a better athlete.

Look at Trevor Boykin, QB at TCU.
His performance last year was about as competent as Swoopes this year. Boykin has made tremendous strides since then, though -- maybe Swoopes will grow into the job. If not, heard may be ready next year.

Against Baylor, we gave them one, and threw one one of our own away, so the score could have been 21-14, against a team that is a dynamic scoring machine, and has a shot at playing for the national championship.

UT may be only 2 years away.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The result of last weekends game is what you get when you put an inexperienced, first year starting QB in against a mature and very experienced team, in Baylor. It is what it is and it's likely that this is what we are going to have to live with this year at Texas. However, I saw a lot to be encouraged by. Next year, the Offense will be better because there will be more Offense to work with. This OL is young and I guarantee you that they are going to be much, much better next year. The QB will be better and much more able to actually run a complete offense. Swoops will be better in every phase of the game next year.

Defensively, you already see a much improved team. The players Texas has today are improving every game and they will be much better next year. We will add more depth and you will see a team that can play strong Defense for four full quarters next year. I'm not disappointed at all by what I've seen from Texas this year. Hats off to Briles and the entire Baylor team on a deserved win but Texas is coming. In another season or two, they are going to be back in contention for National consideration IMO.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I've only seen a tiny bit of the Longhorns but they look like a team in flux. Which I think is to be expected.

I like their coach & he'll fix that program.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Swoopes was a bad high school QB.
That was just a miss in recruiting.
He grew up tall and fast and they jumped on him early instead of letting him actually play some Varsity football of note.
Not all his fault as the team is in full on rebuilding mode but he has little chance IMHO to hold off Heard to start next year.
Not as accurate or as good a decision maker.

What you see with Charlie Strong is the opposite of Mack in recruiting.
He's signing kids now well into their senior high school years.
That's much better for hitting on kids.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Swoopes was a bad high school QB.
That was just a miss in recruiting.
He grew up tall and fast and they jumped on him early instead of letting him actually play some Varsity football of note.
Not all his fault as the team is in full on rebuilding mode but he has little chance IMHO to hold off Heard to start next year.
Not as accurate or as good a decision maker.

What you see with Charlie Strong is the opposite of Mack in recruiting.
He's signing kids now well into their senior high school years.
That's much better for hitting on kids.[/quote

I agree.

It also appears that he may need to make some coaching changes. An up-tempo spread offense will help recruit the best players in this state, and special teams also is an area of need.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
swoopes is steadily improving. I have been really down on him, but he seems to be thinking less and reacting more. He seems to be understanding more and more how to lead this offense. I think it also helps that we seem to have finally found a good group of OL to block for him and the running game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
swoopes is steadily improving. I have been really down on him, but he seems to be thinking less and reacting more. He seems to be understanding more and more how to lead this offense. I think it also helps that we seem to have finally found a good group of OL to block for him and the running game.

Swoopes is improving and it will be interesting to see if he can hold off Heard.
I don't think he can but experience is big.

What has to be frustrating for UT fans is they finished 2nd on Bo Wallace.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Well my Tide rolled!

Aggies are just not very good though. They just quit playing after it got ridiculous.

jimmy40

Reaction score
for all the bad talk about Watson he looks like a wizard with the job he's doing with Swoopes.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Swoopes is improving and it will be interesting to see if he can hold off Heard.
I don't think he can but experience is big.

What has to be frustrating for UT fans is they finished 2nd on Bo Wallace.

Not the way I heard it JT. I heard that Wallace was ready to sign with Texas but Texas backed off. You always here this kind of stuff but I will say that I did read an article on Wallace that basically said he was ready to sign with Texas. IDK.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
An
Not the way I heard it JT. I heard that Wallace was ready to sign with Texas but Texas backed off. You always here this kind of stuff but I will say that I did read an article on Wallace that basically said he was ready to sign with Texas. IDK.

And that somehow makes you feel better? ROFL.

Wallace would have Texas in the top 25 and would have bridged to the young guys perfectly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
An

Wallace would have Texas in the top 25 and would have bridged to the young guys perfectly.

No. Never said that. I simply said that it wasn't a deal where the Horns lost him. It's a case where they didn't want to go after him, for whatever reason.

There was something going on in the background there, I'm pretty sure. We were great guns about bringing him in and in a space of about 48 hours, he was no longer coming to Texas. Something happened there.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
An

They still would have no OL, and their D is still suspect as well; couldn't stop ISU.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Tide looked great, Ags looked overmatched. Bama really showed up for that one.

Finally! I'd like to say against a quality opponent but the Aggies seem to have given up on their season.

No fight in that team. I know Sumlin is better than that. He must be embarrassed.