'Horns in Trouble

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
you have to wonder how dumb a player is to see all of these players getting booted from the team or suspended for games and STILL do something to get yourself booted. Ninth player...NINTH. Did you not learn after 5th through 8th lol.

Maybe Texas is much better in the long run by getting rid of some idiots.

Yeah, I've heard some say that Strong is too strict -- a tyrant, power-monger, etc.

I'd say some of the these guys are too stupid to see their future going down the toilet.

There must be a segment of elite high school FB players who truly got there only on God-given size, strength, and speed. In other words, they have never worked for anything or cared about "team", and can't understand that concept.

What we'd give to have half of that individual talent.

(I was always five foot nothin, a hundred & nothin)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard some say that Strong is too strict -- a tyrant, power-monger, etc.

I'd say some of the these guys are too stupid to see their future going down the toilet.

There must be a segment of elite high school FB players who truly got there only on God-given size, strength, and speed. In other words, they have never worked for anything or cared about "team", and can't understand that concept.

What we'd give to have half of that individual talent.

(I was always five foot nothin, a hundred & nothin)

Great he is strict no issue there. I do have issue with not getting the ball in the 1st or 2nd half of the UCLA game and I do have an issue of running the hurry up offense with 3 min left with the lead after getting a turn over. Texas killed no time off the clock and gave it right back to UCLA who score and get the win. No excuse for this.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Great he is strict no issue there. I do have issue with not getting the ball in the 1st or 2nd half of the UCLA game and I do have an issue of running the hurry up offense with 3 min left with the lead after getting a turn over. Texas killed no time off the clock and gave it right back to UCLA who score and get the win. No excuse for this.

He trusted one of his captains to handle the toss; should not have been a problem, but the dude admittedly freaked and screwed it up.

I can't say what was in he and his OC's mind on their last possession, but running the clock was mandatory.
My guess is that they saw something that they thought would work, but were wrong. Certainly, the OL was overmatched and gassed by that point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He trusted one of his captains to handle the toss; should not have been a problem, but the dude admittedly freaked and screwed it up.

I can't say what was in he and his OC's mind on their last possession, but running the clock was mandatory.
My guess is that they saw something that they thought would work, but were wrong. Certainly, the OL was overmatched and gassed by that point.

He is the HC buck stops with him, period.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He is the HC buck stops with him, period.

I agree. He should not trust his captains to get the coin toss right. That is something you or I could teach a 4 year old and that is how Strong needs to treat these players. It is his responsibility to recognize that these guys are severely lacking in football smarts. He didn't and it resulted in the captains looking like fools and messing up what is supposed to be a mundane task. That will probably be the last time Strong assumes that his players can handle the easiest of jobs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree. He should not trust his captains to get the coin toss right. That is something you or I could teach a 4 year old and that is how Strong needs to treat these players. It is his responsibility to recognize that these guys are severely lacking in football smarts. He didn't and it resulted in the captains looking like fools and messing up what is supposed to be a mundane task. That will probably be the last time Strong assumes that his players can handle the easiest of jobs.

Jr high does not have these issues and should not be excused or tolerated at the college level. I'm sorry I'm not a big fan of Strong, great he gets excited and he is strict but based on early results not impressed. You don't run a hurry up offense with the lead and 3 min on the clock after you just got a turnover. Horns used up no time on the clock

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Strong is doing a good job of overhauling a program and making over a culture of soft, entitled brats.

He hasn't done a good of winning games yet but the recruiting is ramping up and he is already top 20 for 2015 with only a small class committed.
What UT fans should be encouraged by is the recruits he has committed are guys with arrows pointing up that show up on game day for their high schools not just in camps wearing nike or under armour compression outfits.
He didn't run out like Mack and early sign a bunch of primadonnas who take their senior year off to celebrate their scholarship.

UT's RB talent is not overrated. The OL and QBs have been. They have two NFL caliber RBs.
The WRs are not good and no one should think they are.

UT is a middle of the Big 12 team this year but they'll be fine in time.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Jr high does not have these issues and should not be excused or tolerated at the college level. I'm sorry I'm not a big fan of Strong, great he gets excited and he is strict but based on early results not impressed. You don't run a hurry up offense with the lead and 3 min on the clock after you just got a turnover. Horns used up no time on the clock

Exactly. Strong needs to know that his players aren't as bright as junior high students.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Starting to wonder if the coach could run a Jr High

OK, it's clear now that you don't like him.

He took Louisville from nothing to something, and coached up a fairly good QB.

Mack left him a mess.

You might think about cutting him some slack for this year

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OK, it's clear now that you don't like him.

He took Louisville from nothing to something, and coached up a fairly good QB.

Mack left him a mess.

You might think about cutting him some slack for this year

Just win, but when I see a team who can't figure out a coin toss and who runs a hurry up with 3 min left with the lead then excuse me if I have a problem with the coaching.

Aggie87

Reaction score
Mack left him a mess.

That seems to be a common talking point with Longhorn fans, but how much of that is really true?

Other than the class of 2014, which was something of a shambles because of the transition from Mack to Strong at the time, the previous classes Mack recruited were all pretty highly rated.

It probably didn't help that Strong appears to have alienated alot of the players when first took over, taking names off of jerseys and logos off of helmets, and then requiring them to all live together in the dorms (along with the coaching staff for a while). Then kicking players off the team for a litany of reasons, suspending others, etc. Yes, he's changing the culture there, but he's also contributing to and causing alot of the turmoil because of it.

I don't think the style of offense that he's playing is going to impress alot of recruits right now, either. Shawn Watson may not have been the smartest choice for offensive coordinator (even though he's not "officially" the offensive coordinator, either).

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
That seems to be a common talking point with Longhorn fans, but how much of that is really true?

Other than the class of 2014, which was something of a shambles because of the transition from Mack to Strong at the time, the previous classes Mack recruited were all pretty highly rated.

It probably didn't help that Strong appears to have alienated alot of the players when first took over, taking names off of jerseys and logos off of helmets, and then requiring them to all live together in the dorms (along with the coaching staff for a while). Then kicking players off the team for a litany of reasons, suspending others, etc. Yes, he's changing the culture there, but he's also contributing to and causing alot of the turmoil because of it.

I don't think the style of offense that he's playing is going to impress alot of recruits right now, either. Shawn Watson may not have been the smartest choice for offensive coordinator (even though he's not "officially" the offensive coordinator, either).

There was an air of entitlementin Austin that hardly any FB coach would put up with. Repeatedly failing drug tests, failing classes, failing to show up on time, failing to give max effort and attention, and failing to obey the law are some of the many reasons for failing to win.
I know Sumlin wouldn't allow it.
Those repeat offenders were a cancer, and they needed to be excised.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The university is on board with Charlie Strong's rebuilding. He's cleaning out the entitlement, etc., and restoring pride to the program.

He took over a similar program at Louisville and had them making bowl games in three years. Texas fans need to just be patient for the culture to turn over.

jimmy40

Reaction score
3 first round picks out of Louisville, pretty sure Strong knows what he's doing.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Let me say this again, the Texas Longhorns have not had an offensive lineman drafted since 2008. The Texas freaking Longhorns have not had an offensive lineman drafted since 2008. Not one player was drafted last year for the first time in 80 years. Mack Brown was fat, lazy and flat out stealing $5 million a year. Now we have idiots questioning Strong after 3 games. Damn we have stupid fans.