Houston Chronicle: Time is ripe for Texans to overtake Cowboys in the eyes of Texas

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
I heard this in the 70s with Earl Campbell.

And again from the late 80s into the early 90s before Dallas' SB run, when they had Warren Moon and that high octane offense.

Oh sure, the Oilers beat us in 1978 (or '79) on Thanksgiving In front of a national audience. And I believe they spanked us on Thanksgiving in 88 or 89.

They were the new Texas' Team. The problem is, that franchise never won a Super Bowl.

And how many Super Bowls have the Texans gotten to, let alone won?

Case closed. Come back to me when they can maintain a sustainable championship run.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Overtaking the Cowboys as the most popular in the state will take a lot more than just one win or even one great season. They have had such a great opportunity for the last three decades to overtake them but they have been even worse than Dallas during that period. I don't see them achieving this during my lifetime at least and i am not really concerned about it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can someone please take the Americas Team label.

We never wanted it.

It’s caused exactly what Landry said it would.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The Cowboys first became “America’s Team” in the 1970s, a decade where they won a whopping 14 playoff games in nine seasons, including 5 NFC championships and 2 SBs. The great national reputation was based on playoff greatness, not glamorous marketing. Nothing sells like a winner. The Cowboys were the darlings of the football world over a decade before anyone had ever heard the name Jerry Jones.

The great years of the 90s were a burnishing of a brand that already had been established for its playoff excellence. And yes, Jerry deserves some credit for those years because he hired a HOF HC who unlike any of his successors, had control of the locker room and personnel. Those 90s teams set a new standard for excellence.

But sadly, when I hear anyone call us “America’s Team” nowadays I don’t think of current excellence. I think of what we were not what we are.
My sentiments exactly.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here's hoping if the Texans win, it might light a flame under the fannies of the Dallas FO to challenge the NFL's better teams.

The stature of "America's Team" has gradually diminished since the days of Tom Landry, to one that's secondary in its nature.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Stroud has great potential but he didn’t have a better season than Dak. Dak was better in every statistical category and won more games. Stroud won a playoff game but was terrible against Baltimore the following week. It’s funny how Cowboys fans are claiming Stroud was so much better than Dak when he wasn’t.
Rookie stroud with less supporting talent around him was better than 8 year vet Dak with quite a bit of talent around him. I think one could accurately say that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Rookie stroud with less supporting talent around him was better than 8 year vet Dak with quite a bit of talent around him. I think one could accurately say that.
They weren’t as talented as the Cowboys, but they weren’t void of talent. The Cowboys have their issues. We had our struggles running the ball and with our OL. Our offense was pretty much Dak to CeeDee for most of the season until Cooks started getting involved. If we didn’t lead the league in penalties, we came close. Our defense was crap in a few games, especially in the playoffs. We wouldn’t have won 9 games with a lesser QB.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, I agree with that guy who said Dallas has the worst offensive line, defense, and coaches and all the wins are due to dak. he's dak good.
:facepalm:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Traitorous?! You need to get a grip on reality.
Correct. I'm being realistic. Have y'all listened to yourselves? Propping up other teams and players over the Cowboys? That's definitely traitorous if you call yourself a Cowboys fan.