How bad can a QB be

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
We should be used to this as cowboy fans. We had the same with Romo. Our QBs just seem to turn it on in the 4th quarter as of late.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Cowboys fans don't see every mistake Goff and Wentz make. Dak isn't playing any worse than those guys and didn't require multiple draft picks to acquire.

Is Dak perfect? Hardly. Neither are Goff and Wentz.
Exactly. They also have two distinct advantages over Dak too: competent OC and QB coach.

Jerry has a chance to fix both for Dak this summer. I hope it's Lincoln Riley and his QB coach from OU. That would be fantastic.

pansophy

Reaction score

You know looking at the data one can see all the complaints about Dak. Played 10 more games than Goff but only has 2 more TDs and 8 fewer than Wentz who has played 5 fewer games. Dak has ~1/3 fewer 300+ yard games which one could argue is because we are run heavy, except he also more multi-INT games. Fumbles aren't even listed.

He has been an inconsistent player who people should have questions about. The last few weeks could prove to be the time we all look back and say Dak turned the corner -- we can hope that's true -- but people shouldn't be criticized for questioning the quality of his play up to this point compared to other young QBs.

pansophy

Reaction score
Exactly. They also have two distinct advantages over Dak too: competent OC and QB coach.

Jerry has a chance to fix both for Dak this summer. I hope it's Lincoln Riley and his QB coach from OU. That would be fantastic.
You mean the same head coach and offensive coordinator he had his record breaking rookie year? :rolleyes:

Pokes12

Reaction score
.... 3 tds over 200 yds by our wr.

100 yds rushing by our rb.

Great defensive effort.

Still this guy knows how to take it to overtime.

I am so fed up.
You are a sorry fan. Dak made some mistakes, no doubt, BUT THE WON THE GAME!!! That is all that counts. Satisfying your idiotic needs is not on his agenda.

Pokes12

Reaction score
.... 3 tds over 200 yds by our wr.

100 yds rushing by our rb.

Great defensive effort.

Still this guy knows how to take it to overtime.

I am so fed up.
Like Brandon Weeden, or Mark Sanches or Kellen Moore

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
You mean the same head coach and offensive coordinator he had his record breaking rookie year? :rolleyes:
Lemme guess, you want to keep Garrett and Linehan for the next decade. Are you an Eagirls fan? :laugh:

Dak went 13-3, 9-7, and 8-5 (so far this year). He played well enough to beat Aaron Rodgers in that playoff game (he threw over 300yards and a couple of TD passes), but our defense wasn't stout like it is now.

Last year, the Cowboys had Zeke's looming suspension over their heads week to week (eventually loss him for 6 games), injuries to key players such as Tyron Smith (remember that Atlanta game?), our WR1 had 6 TDs all year, etc. Dak likely goes 11-5 or even 12-4 last year if not for all the turmoil, instead of 9-7.

This year we start off 3-4 before Jerry went out and got a real WR1. We are likely 5-1 since we got Coop. I'm predicting we go 10-6 at worst this year.

Recap: In his career so far, Dak has won no less than 9 games in his career as a starter. For context how many times has Romo gone 8-8 despite having good teams? We know Romo is a better QB but Dak might be the better winner. That's no knock on Romo either. I've defended him countless times to Cowboys haters. Dak is clutch.

He is inconsistent, sometimes unorthodoxed, makes me pull out my hair sometimes or kick a puppy - but Dak is a winner. Give him the tools he needs and we can win with him.

wINTz and Goff have better OC and QB coaches than Dak too. If we get Lincoln Riley, watch Dak's game improve on his already draft class leading 30-15 record. Just think - if Zeke didn't get suspended, Dak is likely 33-12 or better as a starter.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
You know looking at the data one can see all the complaints about Dak. Played 10 more games than Goff but only has 2 more TDs and 8 fewer than Wentz who has played 5 fewer games. Dak has ~1/3 fewer 300+ yard games which one could argue is because we are run heavy, except he also more multi-INT games. Fumbles aren't even listed.

He has been an inconsistent player who people should have questions about. The last few weeks could prove to be the time we all look back and say Dak turned the corner -- we can hope that's true -- but people shouldn't be criticized for questioning the quality of his play up to this point compared to other young QBs.
None of these 3 QBs are perfect. All fumble, over/under throw recievers, throw untimely picks, etc. We thought Goff was a bust before Sean McVay came along. Vs wINTz, Dak is 4-1 despite having a Head Coach who thinks we are still in the 1990s.

I'll say it again, give Dak the same level of coaching creativity (scheme) and a better QB coach. There's no reason to think he won't improve.

Take away Pederson or McVay and let's see how wINTz and Goff does.

pansophy

Reaction score
Lemme guess, you want to keep Garrett and Linehan for the next decade. Are you an Eagirls fan? :laugh:

Dak went 13-3, 9-7, and 8-5 (so far this year). He played well enough to beat Aaron Rodgers in that playoff game (he threw over 300yards and a couple of TD passes), but our defense wasn't stout like it is now.

Last year, the Cowboys had Zeke's looming suspension over their heads week to week (eventually loss him for 6 games), injuries to key players such as Tyron Smith (remember that Atlanta game?), our WR1 had 6 TDs all year, etc. Dak likely goes 11-5 or even 12-4 last year if not for all the turmoil, instead of 9-7.

This year we start off 3-4 before Jerry went out and got a real WR1. We are likely 5-1 since we got Coop. I'm predicting we go 10-6 at worst this year.

Recap: In his career so far, Dak has won no less than 9 games in his career as a starter. For context how many times has Romo gone 8-8 despite having good teams? We know Romo is a better QB but Dak might be the better winner. That's no knock on Romo either. I've defended him countless times to Cowboys haters. Dak is clutch.

He is inconsistent, sometimes unorthodoxed, makes me pull out my hair sometimes or kick a puppy - but Dak is a winner. Give him the tools he needs and we can win with him.

wINTz and Goff have better OC and QB coaches than Dak too. If we get Lincoln Riley, watch Dak's game improve on his already draft class leading 30-15 record. Just think - if Zeke didn't get suspended, Dak is likely 33-12 or better as a starter.
First of all Romo is on the all time leader board for comeback victories despite playing far fewer seasons as a starter then many on the list. He was on many bad teams. So don't even start with the better winner crap. Romo had 2 or 3 years with a decent defense.

Secondly, I'm not saying I want Garrett and Linehan long term or not. I'm saying that Dak has to be responsible for his play level as some point. You can bash the coaches for his poor play when it was those same coaches who hide his deficiencies and put him in a position to have a record breaking rookie year.

Don't think they deserve credit? Dak didn't take a 7-step drop without play action until week 14 his rookie year because his footwork was such a mess.

pansophy

Reaction score
None of these 3 QBs are perfect. All fumble, over/under throw recievers, throw untimely picks, etc. We thought Goff was a bust before Sean McVay came along. Vs wINTz, Dak is 4-1 despite having a Head Coach who thinks we are still in the 1990s.

I'll say it again, give Dak the same level of coaching creativity (scheme) and a better QB coach. There's no reason to think he won't improve.

Take away Pederson or McVay and let's see how wINTz and Goff does.
Dak is making throws to the outside in the 10-20 yard range. IMO that's the throw he couldn't make last year and why he struggled. How often did you see WR's have to drag their feet to catch and stay in bounds? Almost never.

I'm seeing more and more of those throws and now with Cooper I hope we are close to breaking defenses out of stacking the middle of the field. If Dak does that the sky is the limit and with this rushing attack things could look like his rookie year again.

We may be watching Dak turn the corner. That's my hope. The criticism up until now hasn't been unwarranted is my only point.

jnday

Reaction score
Ugly game for him. But we left with a W and that's all that matters. He does need to improve his ball security and accuracy on certain throws but for now, I'm happy we beat the Eagles.
They can’t keep winning without more scoring from the offense. Some of these close games are going to start resulting in a loss when it means the most.

jnday

Reaction score
First of all Romo is on the all time leader board for comeback victories despite playing far fewer seasons as a starter then many on the list. He was on many bad teams. So don't even start with the better winner crap. Romo had 2 or 3 years with a decent defense.

Secondly, I'm not saying I want Garrett and Linehan long term or not. I'm saying that Dak has to be responsible for his play level as some point. You can bash the coaches for his poor play when it was those same coaches who hide his deficiencies and put him in a position to have a record breaking rookie year.

Don't think they deserve credit? Dak didn't take a 7-step drop without play action until week 14 his rookie year because his footwork was such a mess.
I am tired of seeing the coaches blamed for Dak’s lack of accuracy and holding on to the ball too long. It is stupid to think that the coaches are not coaching him to not do these things. Coaches don’t teach fumbling and poor passing technique .

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But in all fairness, rushing TD's should be figured in there also...

Prescott 17
Goff 2
Wentz 2

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can’t keep winning without more scoring from the offense. Some of these close games are going to start resulting in a loss when it means the most.

Agree.

The redzone performance has to improve.

Some of that is on Prescott
Some of that is on the Oline

But as Bob Sturm pointed out in a recent article on "The Athletic", the plays being drawn up by the OC simply aren't doing it.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It worked for Philip Rivers last night. He threw 2 INTs including a truly bad pass in the EZ and should have had a 3rd pick on another really bad pass, that luckily was broken up by the WR. During the GWD, there was 23 seconds on the clock and Rivers literally wasted 11 of those seconds, before calling a TO, arguing with the refs on the no call on the helmet to helmet hit. They started the next play with only 12 seconds. He made those mistakes not only against a "playoff caliber" team, but a division rival and #1 seed in the AFC. They won the game on a very risky call.

I was on a couple Chargers forums earlier and there weren't people complaining about those mistakes that could have cost them the game. The first INT lead to KC's first TD, the INT he threw in the EZ took points off the board, if not a TD at least a FG. The almost 3rd pick went directly into the hands of the DB, but he got bailed out by the WR making a great play and knocking the ball loose. He wasted half the time they had left, arguing a call, he could have least called the TO first. Instead, he and the team pushed past the mistakes and won the game.

Their fans weren't complaining about how he almost cost them the game, or tallying how many points he cost the team and left on the field, or how you can't do that in the playoffs and be expected to win, or how they should have won by more, or how many times they have been picked to win the division but didn't, or how many really bad mistakes he's had in his career that cost them games, or that he's never won a Superbowl even when having teams that were good enough. There wasn't anyone bringing up that he once spiked the ball on 4th down at the end of a game that they lost. The fans were all happy about the win, no comments much less half the comments, after the game weren't bashing him for almost costing them the game.
Rivers has shown the ability to win games with his 3rd string RB and his star WR out.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Dak is making throws to the outside in the 10-20 yard range. IMO that's the throw he couldn't make last year and why he struggled. How often did you see WR's have to drag their feet to catch and stay in bounds? Almost never.

I'm seeing more and more of those throws and now with Cooper I hope we are close to breaking defenses out of stacking the middle of the field. If Dak does that the sky is the limit and with this rushing attack things could look like his rookie year again.

We may be watching Dak turn the corner. That's my hope. The criticism up until now hasn't been unwarranted is my only point.

I am patiently waiting also for Dak and Gallup to turn that corner together . Seeing Daks chemistry with Cooper tells me its not all on Dak Gallup is a rookie and needs time but they are only about a stride off on the timing .

Dak will overthrow or Gallup will stop running but when this connection starts to click and it will all of a sudden ,LOOK OUT this offense is going to break out because you cant double cover everyone watch Zeke , Beasley underneath and spy Dak from tucking it in and moving the chains all at the same time .

Gallup is going to become a force its just a matter of time before we really give defenses fits , providing of course the Oline is healthy enough to protect.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Rivers has shown the ability to win games with his 3rd string RB and his star WR out.
9 of 13 seasons as a starter his teams have been 9-7 or worse, his teams have been underachievers. While 9-7 isn't bad it is pretty underwhelming for a QB of Rivers ability and he's had some very good teams around him. Don't get me wrong I really like Rivers and some of it is just plain bad luck, some horribly missed FGs that cost them crucial games, some of it he brings on himself. He can be frustrating to watch, he can make the worst read or throw at the worst possible time, he always reminded me of Romo in some aspects. What QB spikes the ball on 4th down trailing and under a minute left? Watching that game, I was confused, what did he just do, announcers, the crowd, everyone was shocked, what just happened? They barely beat a crippled Bengals team last week, they should have lost to SF earlier in the year lucky to get a 2 point win. The point is that Chargers fans weren't dredging up past mistakes, or micro analyzing his mistakes that could have cost them the game and those INTs and near INT weren't great defense, they were bad throws that people say you can't do against playoff caliber opponents. Instead, they were celebrating that they won in spite of the mistakes. He had a couple "senior moments" during that final drive too, that near INT, threw it straight to the defender, his WR did a great cornerback impression to break it up. When he wasted half the remaining time arguing the no call, even I was yelling at the TV for someone, anyone to call a TO. They all celebrated a hard fought win, regardless of the mistakes made and didn't try to lessen the moment with complaints.