How big is the gap between JPJ/Barton to Frazier?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I was recently listening to Voch's podcast with Duke Mayweather. Duke was really talking up Frazier, said that JPJ was getting all the hype, but Frazier is real good. Mentioned he can make all the blocks for the position.

I heard JPJ has some issues with snapping the football, most believe this is something he will get better at with more reps at the position, just a 1yr starter at Center. Barton started at Center as a freshman, but he has recently been playing LT on the college level. Many feel he needs to move inside on the NFL level. Frazier is the most experienced of the bunch.

Wrote about this week that trading back made sense, where a player like Frazier would be an ideal target. Dane was him rated 34th on his top 100.

Carson

Reaction score
In my uneducated opinion, Frazier will be the best of the 3. JPJ will be good but has some warts. I feel Barton is a much better guard than center.

He initially played left guard as a freshman (nine starts) and then moved to center, starting 37 consecutive games (46 total starts). Frazier was a two-time All-American (2021, 2023), three-time All-Big 12 (2022, 2023 First-Team and 2021 Second-Team), and was a three-time team captain.

So he can play guard if needed. But Frazier IMO goes to Pittsburgh at 20.

Carson

Reaction score
I'm huge on Frazier myself. Trading back and selecting him with our first pick would be a dream for me.
I think the opposite. I see him going 20 to Pittsburgh. He is from about an hour away from there and I am sure he grew up a Steelers fan

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In my uneducated opinion, Frazier will be the best of the 3. JPJ will be good but has some warts. I feel Barton is a much better guard than center.

He initially played left guard as a freshman (nine starts) and then moved to center, starting 37 consecutive games (46 total starts). Frazier was a two-time All-American (2021, 2023), three-time All-Big 12 (2022, 2023 First-Team and 2021 Second-Team), and was a three-time team captain.

So he can play guard if needed. But Frazier IMO goes to Pittsburgh at 20.
That would be surprising where he is being currently ranked.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I was recently listening to Voch's podcast with Duke Mayweather. Duke was really talking up Frazier, said that JPJ was getting all the hype, but Frazier is real good. Mentioned he can make all the blocks for the position.

I heard JPJ has some issues with snapping the football, most believe this is something he will get better at with more reps at the position, just a 1yr starter at Center. Barton started at Center as a freshman, but he has recently been playing LT on the college level. Many feel he needs to move inside on the NFL level. Frazier is the most experienced of the bunch.

Wrote about this week that trading back made sense, where a player like Frazier would be an ideal target. Dane was him rated 34th on his top 100.
Frazier seems solid but his athletic testing and broken leg is not worth taking at the top of the draft. Is he really that much better then Hoffman?

cnuball21

Reaction score
IMO Barton is a clear cut 1st rounder and gets the nod due to his elite athleticism.

I have JPJ probably around 10 slots lower and Frazier 15-20.

Carson

Reaction score
IMO Barton is a clear cut 1st rounder and gets the nod due to his elite athleticism.

I have JPJ probably around 10 slots lower and Frazier 15-20.
I haven’t scouted Barton enough to be certain.

But are teams in love he can play all 5 positions or is he a really good center prospect?

Everything I read he would be an elite guard

cnuball21

Reaction score
I haven’t scouted Barton enough to be certain.

But are teams in love he can play all 5 positions or is he a really good center prospect?

Everything I read he would be an elite guard
He’s played C prior so it isn’t just a projection. Honestly I’m not certain he couldn’t be a good enough LT to let him stay outside.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The way I see it, JPJ is like the product-improved Zack Frazier.

Frazier is your classic tape over traits guy... an athletically middling "power" style blocker who just does everything right. And I actually like seeing that, because center's a tape over traits kind of position. You don't need to be an overwhelming athlete to be successful, and Frazier does so many good things that will translate.

But let's put it this way. JPJ's a power guy too, he's got some outstanding film too, but he plays at an NT-esque 6'3" 328. In terms of size and strength, he's like the blocker equivalent of Vince Wilfork... but he still moves well enough to play pivot. It's a rare athletic combo, and when you pair it with unanimous All-American tape, you're pretty much looking at a unicorn.

I see JPJ as one of the best centers to come out of college in the past 10 years. Frazier's good, but he's just not in that same talent league.

Likewise... Barton is a pretty unique dude. He's more of a "mover" center, if you will, than a "power" center, but he moves at a unicorn type level. If you buy his Pro Day numbers, RAS ranks him as the most athletic college guard prospect ever. I'm not sure that I do buy that, but he's got to be north of the 95th percentile.

Great film, supreme athleticism... some teams are going to be drooling. Barton personally isn't my cup of tea, but he would probably be Kyle Shanahan's shot of whiskey. If you want to follow that, Frazier is more like a can of Coors. You'll just keep drinking them for 10 years and hardly notice it.

Last edited:

1942willys

Reaction score
The way I see it, JPJ is like the product-improved Zack Frazier.

Frazier is your classic tape over traits guy... an athletically middling "power" style blocker who just does everything right. And I actually like seeing that, because center's a tape over traits kind of position. You don't need to be an overwhelming athlete to be successful, and Frazier does so many good things that will translate.

But let's put it this way. JPJ's a power guy too, he's got some outstanding film too, but he plays at an NT-esque 6'3" 328. In terms of size and strength, he's like the blocker equivalent of Vince Wilfork... but he still moves well enough to play pivot. It's a rare athletic combo, and when you pair it with unanimous All-American tape, you're pretty much looking at a unicorn.

I see JPJ as one of the best centers to come out of college in the past 10 years. Frazier's good, but he's just not in that same talent league.

Likewise... Barton is a pretty unique dude. He's more of a "mover" center, if you will, than a "power" center, but he moves at a unicorn type level. If you buy his Pro Day numbers, RAS ranks him as the most athletic college guard prospect ever. I'm not sure that I do buy that, but he's got to be north of the 95th percentile.

Great film, supreme athleticism... some teams are going to be drooling. Barton personally isn't my cup of tea, but he would probably be Kyle Shanahan's shot of whiskey. If you want to follow that, Frazier is more like a can of Coors. You'll just keep drinking them for 10 years and hardly notice it.
So the guy is a better guard prospect than Larry Allen? uh I don;t think so

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Good post, I would be happy with any of the three.But I watched Zach Frazier a lot , being a huge West Virginia football fan.He is a solid center and good person and teamate.Also a 4.0 student athlete and All American.