How big is the gap between JPJ/Barton to Frazier?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The way I see it, JPJ is like the product-improved Zack Frazier.

Frazier is your classic tape over traits guy... an athletically middling "power" style blocker who just does everything right. And I actually like seeing that, because center's a tape over traits kind of position. You don't need to be an overwhelming athlete to be successful, and Frazier does so many good things that will translate.

But let's put it this way. JPJ's a power guy too, he's got some outstanding film too, but he plays at an NT-esque 6'3" 328. In terms of size and strength, he's like the blocker equivalent of Vince Wilfork... but he still moves well enough to play pivot. It's a rare athletic combo, and when you pair it with unanimous All-American tape, you're pretty much looking at a unicorn.

I see JPJ as one of the best centers to come out of college in the past 10 years. Frazier's good, but he's just not in that same talent league.

Likewise... Barton is a pretty unique dude. He's more of a "mover" center, if you will, than a "power" center, but he moves at a unicorn type level. If you buy his Pro Day numbers, RAS ranks him as the most athletic college guard prospect ever. I'm not sure that I do buy that, but he's got to be north of the 95th percentile.

Great film, supreme athleticism... some teams are going to be drooling. Barton personally isn't my cup of tea, but he would probably be Kyle Shanahan's shot of whiskey. If you want to follow that, Frazier is more like a can of Coors. You'll just keep drinking them for 10 years and hardly notice it.
I love JPJ too, just preparing for a scenario if both he and Barton are off the board. Believe all 3 are day 1 impact starters at the position, but JPJ has the highest potential.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I love JPJ too, just preparing for a scenario if both he and Barton are off the board. Believe all 3 are day 1 impact starters at the position, but JPJ has the highest potential.
I have a hard time thinking that Frazier will be the BPA at #24, but I also wouldn't mind drafting him anyway. If a player starts from day 1 and puts in 5 years of good football, who cares about his pre-draft big board rankings anyway. You hit on the pick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have a hard time thinking that Frazier will be the BPA at #24, but I also wouldn't mind drafting him anyway. If a player starts from day 1 and puts in 5 years of good football, who cares about his pre-draft big board rankings anyway. You hit on the pick.
I agree, could live with him at 24, but would love him in a trade back scenario. He fills an important need and is a day 1 impact starter. Personally, I like JPJ the best, but really don't see that much separation from the 3.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
All 3 have high floors. I would be amazed if all 3 guys are not day 1 starters that have very good careers. Real chance that Barton and JPJ are off the board. I actually think Frazier has a chance to be there in round 2.

1942willys

Reaction score
IF there is no OT or real top talent worth more when our pick comes up I would not be against a trade back; then take Frazier.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I'm huge on Frazier myself. Trading back and selecting him with our first pick would be a dream for me.

Good strategy drop down a few slots in round one let Buffalo get the receiver they want and hopefully Dallas gets the 4 back they spent on Lance . Take Frazier as your center at least through his rookie deal maybe longer .

RonWashington

Reaction score
105.3 with Broadus and co think Barton is the best center in the draft but would be gone by the time Dallas is up . Trade back grab Frazier as your day one center in that case .

RonWashington

Reaction score
The run game Daks pass protection the entire offense is based on how strong an OL you have . Bass Hoffman are nice depth . Hopefully Steele improves Martin is steady and the Tyler Smith pick is a home run .

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
It all depends if you see #24 as our best opportunity at a trade back spot (I do).
Barton and JPJ would be stick and pick prospects, Frazier is your trade down and grab late first/early second. Both scenarios work.
I also like the idea of Suamataia in a trade back. Will depend on if they are trying to hit Starting LT and Starting Center in this draft. At minimum it's one or the other.
Think we must find extra pics this draft, just to have a chance this year.
This FO has really screwed roster building up something terrible.
Last years draft was a complete shitshow, can't let that happen again !

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It all depends if you see #24 as our best opportunity at a trade back spot (I do).
Barton and JPJ would be stick and pick prospects, Frazier is your trade down and grab late first/early second. Both scenarios work.
I also like the idea of Suamataia in a trade back. Will depend on if they are trying to hit Starting LT and Starting Center in this draft. At minimum it's one or the other.
Think we must find extra pics this draft, just to have a chance this year.
This FO has really screwed roster building up something terrible.
Last years draft was a complete shitshow, can't let that happen again !
I have those 2 as the most likely trade back targets. Morgan/Cooper also in that range.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The run game Daks pass protection the entire offense is based on how strong an OL you have . Bass Hoffman are nice depth . Hopefully Steele improves Martin is steady and the Tyler Smith pick is a home run .
Daks proven he can play well with average pass pro.

If OL is BPA make the pick…if not take the player.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Daks proven he can play well with average pass pro.

If OL is BPA make the pick…if not take the player.

GB game was ugly . Dallas has to be more effective running the ball & protection . Steele at times last yr was abysmal. Your center is gone and this entire line needs young talent .

1942willys

Reaction score
GB game was ugly . Dallas has to be more effective running the ball & protection . Steele at times last yr was abysmal. Your center is gone and this entire line needs young talent .
Steele is only above average PP when he is healthy and bluntly speaking he should have started the season on IR. Maybe even stayed on it.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We started slow but that game was a lot more in the defense IMO.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We have to protect both the offense and the defense, which means being able to control the clock and run the football, be able to stop the run and have a chance to get off the field. Center, Running Back, DT & Linebacker are the priority needs to sure these areas up. I can live with an average LT, but not a weak center who brings inside pressure to our QB.

RonWashington

Reaction score

20-0 Dak gift baskets a pick 6 27-0 good night Jerry see ya next season . Jimmy was frothing at the mouth it was so bad . Yes the Pokes need LB & DT help no doubt . And if Rico Dowdle is your # 1 RB hello Trey Benson or Blake Corum .

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Dont get cute
Take Murphy or Barton at 24
BPA after

If both gone, trade down and take Frazier
If no good trade down available take JPJ
This is exactly where I am leaning

Murphy if available
Barton if Murphy Is gone
If both are gone trade back for Frazier
If you can’t find a trade partner JPJ at 24

Cebrin

Reaction score
I was recently listening to Voch's podcast with Duke Mayweather. Duke was really talking up Frazier, said that JPJ was getting all the hype, but Frazier is real good. Mentioned he can make all the blocks for the position.

I heard JPJ has some issues with snapping the football, most believe this is something he will get better at with more reps at the position, just a 1yr starter at Center. Barton started at Center as a freshman, but he has recently been playing LT on the college level. Many feel he needs to move inside on the NFL level. Frazier is the most experienced of the bunch.

Wrote about this week that trading back made sense, where a player like Frazier would be an ideal target. Dane was him rated 34th on his top 100.
Bortolini is a very good center as well.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I honestly don’t get the love affair with Frazier. I think he’s a decent prospect but I don’t see a dominant player worthy of the praise he’s been getting.

Frankly, I like Bortallini more based off what I’ve seen.