How big is the gap between JPJ/Barton to Frazier?

cnuball21

Reaction score
We have to protect both the offense and the defense, which means being able to control the clock and run the football, be able to stop the run and have a chance to get off the field. Center, Running Back, DT & Linebacker are the priority needs to sure these areas up. I can live with an average LT, but not a weak center who brings inside pressure to our QB.
Of course but not at the expense of force picking needs.

We also have young players continuing to develop the team could be comfortable with at C.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Of course but not at the expense of force picking needs.

We also have young players continuing to develop the team could be comfortable with at C.
Not saying force a pick for a need at all. If a higher rated player falls you take him, but this years class taking OL in the 1st could very well also represent best player and at a need position.

In my opinion, unless 1 of those unexpected players fall, they are looking to trade back this year and get another pick or even two.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Not saying force a pick for a need at all. If a higher rated player falls you take him, but this years class taking OL in the 1st could very well also represent best player and at a need position.

In my opinion, unless 1 of those unexpected players fall, they are looking to trade back this year and get another pick or even two.
i want a trade down too but it wont be easy as the back half of this draft is supposed to be weak.

1942willys

Reaction score
I honestly don’t get the love affair with Frazier. I think he’s a decent prospect but I don’t see a dominant player worthy of the praise he’s been getting.

Frankly, I like Bortallini more based off what I’ve seen.
I am reassured now about Frazier

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i want a trade down too but it wont be easy as the back half of this draft is supposed to be weak.
No I won’t, let’s hope the Bills want to jump up for a receiver, maybe Baltimore, SFO, KC want that tackle, where we might want more of a center

cnuball21

Reaction score

Yea, very well could be. Looking forward to seeing who’s available at 24.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
How does this team feel about guys like Richards, Bass, and
Hoffman? Since we don’t know and I’m not sure even the team knows, the rush is to fill the perceived need in round 1. IMO that’s a bad way to draft.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yea, very well could be. Looking forward to seeing who’s available at 24.
I think Murphy would be my top target if he fell, but not expecting him to be there, then Latu and the offensive lineman where it’s Mims, Barton, JPJ or trade back

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hoffman? Since we don’t know and I’m not sure even the team knows, the rush is to fill the perceived need in round 1. IMO that’s a bad way to draft.
I think Bass, Richards, Hoffman in that order

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I get this strange sense the team likes Hoffman more than most fans realize.

1942willys

Reaction score
I am worried about the second coming of the Phil Costa era when Jerry and company proclaimed a bunch of UDFA jags were going to be the second coming of the Great Wall

Cebrin

Reaction score
Is he more of an athlete than a football player? I like Van Pran if we miss out on the top guys
He's smart, strong, and has quick feet. He's played every position on the line. 2023 was his first season at just center, and his tape got better with each game. He's not perfect, but he has the tools and instincts to refine his craft. I like him. He'd be a nice later pickup. He won't be bullied.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He's smart, strong, and has quick feet. He's played every position on the line. 2023 was his first season at just center, and his tape got better with each game. He's not perfect, but he has the tools and instincts to refine his craft. I like him. He'd be a nice later pickup. He won't be bullied.
Probably a player who would compete for the job initially

Chasing6

Reaction score
The way I see it, JPJ is like the product-improved Zack Frazier.

Frazier is your classic tape over traits guy... an athletically middling "power" style blocker who just does everything right. And I actually like seeing that, because center's a tape over traits kind of position. You don't need to be an overwhelming athlete to be successful, and Frazier does so many good things that will translate.

But let's put it this way. JPJ's a power guy too, he's got some outstanding film too, but he plays at an NT-esque 6'3" 328. In terms of size and strength, he's like the blocker equivalent of Vince Wilfork... but he still moves well enough to play pivot. It's a rare athletic combo, and when you pair it with unanimous All-American tape, you're pretty much looking at a unicorn.

I see JPJ as one of the best centers to come out of college in the past 10 years. Frazier's good, but he's just not in that same talent league.

Likewise... Barton is a pretty unique dude. He's more of a "mover" center, if you will, than a "power" center, but he moves at a unicorn type level. If you buy his Pro Day numbers, RAS ranks him as the most athletic college guard prospect ever. I'm not sure that I do buy that, but he's got to be north of the 95th percentile.

Great film, supreme athleticism... some teams are going to be drooling. Barton personally isn't my cup of tea, but he would probably be Kyle Shanahan's shot of whiskey. If you want to follow that, Frazier is more like a can of Coors. You'll just keep drinking them for 10 years and hardly notice it.
Big enough for us to trade back in the first round to get an extra 3rd round pick.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Looking at the last three drafts, the Cowboys have spent draft capital on tight ends, Offensive tackles,Wide Receiver, linebacker, pass rusher, defensive tackle, and cornerback. The Cowboys have not used draft resources on center, running back, and safety. Don’t be surprised if the top 3 picks are center, running back, and safety with range.

Carter

Reaction score
I dont believe Frazier is a 1st Round Pick. He will have a solid career but i doubt he has Pro Bowl / All Pro Talent. Barton has that. I would def pick him and he gives u rare position flex on all positions on the Line. If hes gone i would personally go with a guy that can play LT like Guyton, Suamataia or Morgan (think hes a Guard though) ideally in a trade back and pick a Center in Round 2 or 3.

Sedric Van Pran would be my choice or Bartolini