How Can These Guys Fail a Drug Test?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've seen good businesses fail, pink slips due to poor attendance and tardiness, brain slippage, stuff like that. Not ambitious? I guess you could call it that, but it's much worse in actuality.
I’ve never seen lives ruined by pot abuse alone. It’s usually coupled with other substances.

Pot heads are slackers but not usually a menace to society.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nobody can say how any one drug can effect each individual person. For example I know successful doctors and lawyers in San Jose that smoke meth. Considering their professions it's probably not the best vice out there. And I've seen potheads turn entrepreneur and do very well. Strength of mind and a person's personality I believe have more to do with the outcome from drug use.
I’m assuming your referring to recreational use?

Many successful people can consume in moderation.

But that’s not the issue at hand when a player can’t quit for a month a year to pass the test.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Pretty damn easy and when you hear from those who want it legal to use in the league they act as if it is no big deal and not addictive so great stop using. After all it is no big deal and in return you have a once in a lifetime opportunity to gain fame and fortune to live out a dream. Who in their right mind would give up a dream like this over weed? I was willing to do it for a job that pays 60 grand a year with no fame but then again my family is a lot more important to me that getting stoned.

It's not addictive- "so great stop using,"- most do. Look at the players who fail the tests. I can't think of one who prioritized football.

kskboys

Reaction score
Weed is absolutely addicting. Anyone who thinks it's not is most likely addicted to it. Anything that a grown *** man can't quit for a week to make million dollar pay check for must be addicted to it.
I've seen a ton of people lose their jobs/families/relationships/other because they couldn't stop smoking weed. I used to think the stuff was harmless, I'm starting to change my mind just from simple observation.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I’m assuming your referring to recreational use?

Many successful people can consume in moderation.

But that’s not the issue at hand when a player can’t quit for a month a year to pass the test.
No I mean just about every day use with some of these people. I was trying to point out that people seem to have an image of what people that use specific drugs are. It's not something you can really generalize. There's probably thousands of people out there right now that are high as hell off of one thing or another and people interact with them without a clue.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've seen a ton of people lose their jobs/families/relationships/other because they couldn't stop smoking weed. I used to think the stuff was harmless, I'm starting to change my mind just from simple observation.
Wow.. weed alone?

The pot heads ive seen destroy their lives had other substances as well. Can’t say I’ve seen pot alone destroy lives just less productive.

I stand corrected. We are seeing professional athletes destroy their lives from smoking pot.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Who said candy is mind altering? No one is saying marijuana isn't mind altering.
I must have misread your post. My bad.

That's a question of values, not needs. If someone chooses to get high instead of play football, it's not because they're, "addicted," to marijuana anymore than a fat person is addicted to Twinkies. Neither substance is actually addictive.
I agree and disagree. I agree in the sense that that person may place a value on smoking marijuana that is GREATER than their need to play football. But, when a player AGREES to play football and wants to play football, but can't stop smoking marijuana, that, my friend, is an addiction.
And you have to come to that conclusion; otherwise, why even play football? You know the league has this policy. If your VALUE is that pot is more important than playing football, and you know the league has an anti-pot policy, why agree to play professional football? Why not just decide after college not to play professional football because the league tests for marijuana use?
No, players play because they have a NEED to work, have the talent to play football and that NEED supercedes the VALUE they place on pot. At some point, that catches up with them and they either choose (like David Irving and Rolando McClain) that they've had enough and want to return to puffing doobies, or they overcome their addictions and continue to play football.
It's not really an either/or.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No I mean just about every day use with some of these people. I was trying to point out that people seem to have an image of what people that use specific drugs are. It's not something you can really generalize. There's probably thousands of people out there right now that are high as hell off of one thing or another and people interact with them without a clue.
Of course . Those are functional habitual users.

I’d argue though if you were around them more frequently you’d be more likely to detect.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I've seen a ton of people lose their jobs/families/relationships/other because they couldn't stop smoking weed. I used to think the stuff was harmless, I'm starting
Of course . Those are functional habitual users.

I’d argue though if you were around them more frequently you’d be more likely to detect.
I'm sure you would have ideas of what they may be doing after time. But unless you learn without a doubt then that's really how you know them to be normal. Now that I think about it it would be rather ironic to find out someone uses drugs just because you happened to see them sober for a change.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the term "addictive" gets tossed around too casually. It's as if that has universal application and it does not, it is not the same for everyone. And there are different variations on addiction, emotional, mental and physical. Pot does not have the physical side of it like alcohol, cocaine, heroin, meth and pain pills but with certain people, it has the other two and that can be just as strong as the physical side of it.

Any substance than will affect the brain and give pleasure can be addictive for some people. Whether that's to avoid pain or seek pleasure, what drives that is different for people.

I have spent time with several people in rehab and various forms of recovery, including my younger son, and once they been diagnosed with addictive personality, they have to be careful of anything that might set off those triggers. That's why people going through treatment have to avoid all of it, there is nothing safe for them.

For some people, pot is a boon and they can handle it without problems although they're having some issues in CO right now with the powerful stuff and long term users, but for others, they're better off to avoid it. It is not the "harmless choice" for them.

But in all fairness to pot, I don't think it makes football players that like football prefer pot to that. Did Irving ever love playing football? McClain? Todd Marinovich, #1 pick, chose to smoke pot and surf, he never loved playing the game.

We process their decisions through our own filters and think they're stupid to give up on this opportunity but that is also the money filter, I know people that could care less about money or being rich or set for life. Isn't that the opportunity? Think getting the hell beat out of you once a week, risking injury that could incapacitate you or last the rest of your life is a fun way to make a living? Not everyone, including some that do it, is cut out for that.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I must have misread your post. My bad.

No worries.

I agree and disagree. I agree in the sense that that person may place a value on smoking marijuana that is GREATER than their need to play football. But, when a player AGREES to play football and wants to play football, but can't stop smoking marijuana, that, my friend, is an addiction.

I would say it's a personal issue moreso than the addictive quality of the drug. There's multiple reasons people risk things- but in this case it's not much of a risk considering the way the rules are laid out. Any player who is on the drug program willingly chose to be on it. Maybe they didn't think it through and regret it later, but trying to say they're "addicted" is a way of abdicating their responsibility. Now they're victims of that, "bad stuff."

And you have to come to that conclusion; otherwise, why even play football?

$$$$$

You know the league has this policy. If your VALUE is that pot is more important than playing football, and you know the league has an anti-pot policy, why agree to play professional football?

Because game checks.

Why not just decide after college not to play professional football because the league tests for marijuana use?

People compromise all the time. People grow and change their minds. Some people are dumb enough to think they can beat it. I don't understand why players should have to abstain, personally. I think it's an arbitrary rule.

No, players play because they have a NEED to work, have the talent to play football and that NEED supercedes the VALUE they place on pot.

But they don't need to play football.

At some point, that catches up with them and they either choose (like David Irving and Rolando McClain) that they've had enough and want to return to puffing doobies, or they overcome their addictions and continue to play football.
It's not really an either/or.

I don't see the difference between what we're saying other than your use of the word addiction. You even say they, "choose," to play or not.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Know the first sign of addictive personality, according to child psychiatrists, for young children? Remember when you were young and began turning in circles until you were dizzy? Almost all children do that once or a couple of times but the ones that keep doing it are getting something their brain likes. The early form of "hooked on a feeling".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Know the first sign of addictive personality, according to child psychiatrists, for young children? Remember when you were young and began turning in circles until you were dizzy? Almost all children do that once or a couple of times but the ones that keep doing it are getting something their brain likes. The early form of "hooked on a feeling".
Very interesting. Never heard that.

I didn’t even like the merry go round. And rides at Six Flags that were like that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's not addictive- "so great stop using,"- most do. Look at the players who fail the tests. I can't think of one who prioritized football.

Some don't stop and there is a reason it like any other substance it becomes addictive. Not all people who drink become alcoholics but some do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some don't stop and there is a reason it like any other substance it becomes addictive. Not all people who drink become alcoholics but some do.
I’d argue if you consume everyday.. it’s addictive.

Although some alcoholics are binge drinkers meaning when they do drink they can’t stop until they pass out or fall down. But normally those aren’t usually indentified as the typical alcoholic who must have it everyday all day.

Pot heads must have it everyday. Most all day. The only time they aren’t is if they’re broke or can’t find it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’ve never seen lives ruined by pot abuse alone. It’s usually coupled with other substances.

Pot heads are slackers but not usually a menace to society.
A drug that makes you a slacker is one way of ruining your life.

kskboys

Reaction score
No worries.

I would say it's a personal issue moreso than the addictive quality of the drug. There's multiple reasons people risk things- but in this case it's not much of a risk considering the way the rules are laid out. Any player who is on the drug program willingly chose to be on it. Maybe they didn't think it through and regret it later, but trying to say they're "addicted" is a way of abdicating their responsibility. Now they're victims of that, "bad stuff."

$$$$$

Because game checks.

People compromise all the time. People grow and change their minds. Some people are dumb enough to think they can beat it. I don't understand why players should have to abstain, personally. I think it's an arbitrary rule.

But they don't need to play football.

I don't see the difference between what we're saying other than your use of the word addiction. You even say they, "choose," to play or not.
I've seen the addictive nature of pot. I've seen quite a few try to quit and not be able to.

Because your employer has the right to fire/hire anyone using that employer's guidelines. It's much more than just legality. People don't want to watch a league of potheads, and the money would start going down as the play would start going down if pot usage became widespread.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's where the argument of whether pot is addictive to some loses it's punch, who cares? They haven't outlawed cigarettes or alcohol, two known addictive products that kill more people annually than the combination of all drugs.

It is an empty argument for not making it legal just as gambling addiction is a reason not to legalize it. Isn't America the land of all of these freedoms we use to get our way? It is stupid to openly support crime with laws created to create criminals.

The pharma and liquor lobby's are the reason this continues to be federally illegal. Ya know the worst addiction? Corruption.