How did Wade Phillips get fired so quickly?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Wade Phillips was 34-22 as coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

He had one terrible year but was always above .500 each of his three previous years.

Jason Garrett has never had back to back years above .500.

In 7 years as head coach has only gone to the playoffs twice and is 1-2 in playoff games...

Stunned that Jason Garrett is still the head coach and I'm stunned that he still has apologist out there. His win percentage is much lower than Wade Phillips'. And while he has the same playoff record as Garrett, he won as many division titles as Garret in half the time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He had one terrible year but was always above .500 each of his three previous years.

In 7 years as head coach has only gone to the playoffs twice and is 1-2 in playoff games...

Stunned that Jason Garrett is still the head coach and I'm stunned that he still has apologist out there. His win percentage is much lower than Wade Phillips'. And while he has the same playoff record as Garrett, he won as many division titles as Garret in half the time.

Garrett was doing everything he could to get wade fired.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

We all know who his biggest fan is on here.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
He struggled with the day to day handling of the position. He simply couldn't be the spokesperson.

It sounds dumb but its why coaches get fired.

The drafting under wade's tenure was bad also and the coaches especially at that time had a heavy hand in drafting. You have to remember Wade was coaching parcells team. parcells molded that team and assembled the talent. He just couldn't stick around long enough to see it through.

I always wonder what would have happened had they hired marco rivera and given him job security like garrett has had. he has garrett's demeanor essentially with the media and is an excellent defensive coach. Oh well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think the Garrett factor definitely played a role in Wade's firing. Remember who was, in fact, hired first.

Jerry always thought highly of Garrett and how "smart" he was. He always planned on making him his head coach eventually. The team quitting on Wade was his perfect excuse to do that.

Now there is no excuse to keep him.

links18

Reaction score
Wade didn't get fired quickly. He survived a one and done with HFA in the playoffs and then 44-6 and 34-3 debacles to end seasons. He survived because Jerry was buying time for his golden boy to become head coach, which the team finally quitting on Wade in 2010 provided the opportunity.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think the Garrett factor definitely played a role in Wade's firing. Remember who was, in fact, hired first.

Jerry always thought highly of Garrett and how "smart" he was. He always planned on making him his head coach eventually. The team quitting on Wade was his perfect excuse to do that.

CowboyRoy made a great point. I remember that year pretty well. I remember the offense was a huge problem, yet all the blame went onto Phillips who was undermined as HC his entire tenure.

And I'm not here to praise Phillips by any means, my only point is that Garrett is absolute trash and may be one of the worst coaches in the league. Teams have rebuilt and collapsed and rebuilt again in the time Garrett has squandered careers with the Cowboys. Fortunately, many of our players left to get rings with other teams...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Team quit of Garrett yesterday.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
CowboyRoy made a great point. I remember that year pretty well. I remember the offense was a huge problem, yet all the blame went onto Phillips who was undermined as HC his entire tenure.

And I'm not here to praise Phillips by any means, my only point is that Garrett is absolute trash and may be one of the worst coaches in the league. Teams have rebuilt and collapsed and rebuilt again in the time Garrett has squandered careers with the Cowboys. Fortunately, many of our players left to get rings with other teams...
Remember Crayton saying how as soon as wade got fired Garrett busted out a new playbook? “Where were all these plays when wade was here”? Was his exact quote.

diefree666

Reaction score

cue idgit and his immediate defense of Garrett and the process.

How some can keep defending all the time lost and careers wasted training Red Ball. Who as it should be clear to one and all has reached his peak as regards HC ability. What we see now is all there is.

And IT IS NOT ENOUGH.

Aven8

Reaction score
He struggled with the day to day handling of the position. He simply couldn't be the spokesperson.

It sounds dumb but its why coaches get fired.

The drafting under wade's tenure was bad also and the coaches especially at that time had a heavy hand in drafting. You have to remember Wade was coaching parcells team. parcells molded that team and assembled the talent. He just couldn't stick around long enough to see it through.

I always wonder what would have happened had they hired marco rivera and given him job security like garrett has had. he has garrett's demeanor essentially with the media and is an excellent defensive coach. Oh well.

Nice post. This is why a coach like Mike Leach is relegated to the Texas Techs and Washington St's of the world. He's a hell of a coach, but can't handle the politics of the room.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The team scored 161 points under Wade Phillips and magically scored 233 points in the second half of the season under Garrett...

The difference is 20.13 points per game versus 29.13 points per game. That's literally going from the top of the bottom 3rd to the best in the league...