How did Wade Phillips get fired so quickly?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyRoy made a great point. I remember that year pretty well. I remember the offense was a huge problem, yet all the blame went onto Phillips who was undermined as HC his entire tenure.

And I'm not here to praise Phillips by any means, my only point is that Garrett is absolute trash and may be one of the worst coaches in the league. Teams have rebuilt and collapsed and rebuilt again in the time Garrett has squandered careers with the Cowboys. Fortunately, many of our players left to get rings with other teams...

If fans want hope for the rest of this season, don't look for the "maybe's" and "if only's" that "could get us into the playoffs". This team doesn't deserve to be there, that's clear.

Hope that circumstances change, specifically this head coach who has proven to be a failure. Until that factor changes, nothing else matters.

A coaching change is your hope at this point.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
And if anyone is wondering the defense only got slightly better in the second half of the year.

They gave up 232 points in the first half versus 204 points in the second half. 29 points per game versus 25.5.

I would attribute the difference here more to schedule than anything else. The offense clearly got better.

Zman5

Reaction score
He struggled with the day to day handling of the position. He simply couldn't be the spokesperson.

It sounds dumb but its why coaches get fired.

The drafting under wade's tenure was bad also and the coaches especially at that time had a heavy hand in drafting. You have to remember Wade was coaching parcells team. parcells molded that team and assembled the talent. He just couldn't stick around long enough to see it through.

I always wonder what would have happened had they hired marco rivera and given him job security like garrett has had. he has garrett's demeanor essentially with the media and is an excellent defensive coach. Oh well.

Wade had lower draft picks to work with than JG and still drafted almost as many pro-bowl players (Spencer, Lee, Dez, Folk, Jenkins, Bennette) in 3 less drafts., He also drafted few above average players (OScan, Doug Free, Felix Jones).

It's a myth that Wade's draft were horrible and JG's draft are great. Wade gets that moniker because of the 2009 draft where his first pick in the draft was in the 3rd round. JG would have done as bad if he had to start the draft in the 3rd round.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Wade Phillips was 34-22 as coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

He had one terrible year but was always above .500 each of his three previous years.

Jason Garrett has never had back to back years above .500.

In 7 years as head coach has only gone to the playoffs twice and is 1-2 in playoff games...

Stunned that Jason Garrett is still the head coach and I'm stunned that he still has apologist out there. His win percentage is much lower than Wade Phillips'. And while he has the same playoff record as Garrett, he won as many division titles as Garret in half the time.
What scares me is that we will have a Marvin Lewis type of deal going on here. Hangs around forever and never wins anything.

visionary

Reaction score
CowboyRoy made a great point. I remember that year pretty well. I remember the offense was a huge problem, yet all the blame went onto Phillips who was undermined as HC his entire tenure.

And I'm not here to praise Phillips by any means, my only point is that Garrett is absolute trash and may be one of the worst coaches in the league. Teams have rebuilt and collapsed and rebuilt again in the time Garrett has squandered careers with the Cowboys. Fortunately, many of our players left to get rings with other teams...

Wade was a cream puff it at least he is a very good D.C.
Garrett is just Jerrys mouthpiece

bysbox1

Reaction score
What scares me is that we will have a Marvin Lewis type of deal going on here. Hangs around forever and never wins anything.

We have a Marvin Lewis situation already. Do you really think Jerry will let Garrett go? He'll blame player injuries as usual for the poor play. Then it's back to the poor coaching.

TBH I think Jerry was chomping at the bit to let Wade go. He wanted "his" guy in there.

khiladi

Reaction score
He struggled with the day to day handling of the position. He simply couldn't be the spokesperson.

It sounds dumb but its why coaches get fired.

The drafting under wade's tenure was bad also and the coaches especially at that time had a heavy hand in drafting. You have to remember Wade was coaching parcells team. parcells molded that team and assembled the talent. He just couldn't stick around long enough to see it through.

I always wonder what would have happened had they hired marco rivera and given him job security like garrett has had. he has garrett's demeanor
essentially with the media and is an excellent defensive coach. Oh well.

Wade didn’t want Felix Jones, but Chris Johnson and per reports wants Mike Solari as offensive line coach. We spent years wasting away with man blocking schemes and Houck. He didn’t like drafting WRs in the first and Jerry leveraged a draft with Roy Williams to try and assist Garrett’s struggling offense.

Wade drafted Sean Lee and was given guys like Bradie James and Ayodele as LBs to cover in the 3-4. Jacques Reeves and Alan Ball were our coverage corners along with an aging Anthony Henry and Jerry’s love Roy Williams.

But I wouldn’t really blame Jerry in this respect only because Wade still speak so so highly of him. I’m sure he blames other guys like Garrett.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
If I remember correctly Wade lost the locker room. Not making excuses for JG, just letting the OP know what I remember.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wade didn't get fired quickly. He survived a one and done with HFA in the playoffs and then 44-6 and 34-3 debacles to end seasons. He survived because Jerry was buying time for his golden boy to become head coach, which the team finally quitting on Wade in 2010 provided the opportunity.

He wasn’t allowing Wade to make necessary changes to prevent the losses from happening. Wade’s defense didn’t quit, it was the end result, like last night, of an offense that couldn’t do anything so it eventually imploded. In Wade’s last season, the offense had turned the ball over a whopping 19 times and the season wasn’t half way over. We lost a game to the Giants where the defense generated 5 TOs and lost to Minnesota when we held their total offense to under two hundred yards.

The offense was turning the ball over regularly and Wade had seen from the very beginning that Garrett couldn’t handle the running game and it was putting too much pressure on the defense. This was the primary reason he was trying to bring in Dan Reeves, to revamp the running game.

The problem is it took Romo’s new contract on 2013 to force changes by Jerry. That was the year Jerry said in the off-season after 2012 that the off-season wasn’t going to be nice. The problem is, Jerry never cut the head off the snake, which was Garrett. His idea was to isolate him while maintaining him with appearances of a HC.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
You're being way too generous. Marvin Lewis is way better than Jason Garrett.

Unfortunately for Lewis, he was in a much tougher division with the Steelers and Ravens.
Lewis isn't a good coach. Don't kid yourself. He had some good teams that did nothing

As for Wade, he had a serious locker room cancer in T.O.

khiladi

Reaction score
The team scored 161 points under Wade Phillips and magically scored 233 points in the second half of the season under Garrett...

The difference is 20.13 points per game versus 29.13 points per game. That's literally going from the top of the bottom 3rd to the best in the league...

Actually a lot of that was because the defense generated a whole bunch of TOs suddenly under PP. The offense wasn’t really good at all, Kitna still threw more INTs than TDs and their wins were against sub par talent that weren’t making the playoffs anyways and really close. Kitna was the type of guy who played with passion and outside the coaching box also. They also ran the ball more.

Jerry basically threatened jobs too.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He had one terrible year but was always above .500 each of his three previous years.

In 7 years as head coach has only gone to the playoffs twice and is 1-2 in playoff games...

Stunned that Jason Garrett is still the head coach and I'm stunned that he still has apologist out there. His win percentage is much lower than Wade Phillips'. And while he has the same playoff record as Garrett, he won as many division titles as Garret in half the time.

IMO Phillips got an extra year than he should have.

I think They were on the brink of firing him but they had a good rally to a year and so Jerry brought him back.
Then it went so bad Jerry fired him mid season...something he has never done.

Seems like Garrett had a great year the year before...you have to wonder if he had a bad year last year...and the start to this year...if it would set the wheels in motion.

We may never know.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Because the players quit on him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny how we lost out on both Zimmer and Sean Payton.

Don';t even start with that we lost out on Zimmer crap.

A HUGE segment here wanted him gone ...People seem to forget the GROZ crap in a multitude of signatures.

I understand being upset with the ginger but let's not go back and act like people thought zimmer was a saint around here.