How do all the doom and gloomers feels now?

black label

Reaction score
dcf7msc-349683ec-080e-4a3c-9065-2cfccf2503d9.png

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Got our mauling guard, pass rushing DE, and Smooth, fast receiver in the 3rd.

Werent those all the positions most were complaining about?

Just trying to check the pulse here.

Grade
B+
DAL

Dallas Cowboys

Day 2 draft picks

Day 1 grade: C

Analysis: The Cowboys took a shot on the upside of offensive lineman Tyler Smith in the first round and then gambled on Williams' speed and bend on the outside, despite some off-field concerns. Tolbert is a downfield threat and was a much better value in the third round than several of the receivers selected in the second.

Reactions: CWR

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't think it's 'doom and gloom', but moreso being a realist.

Titans get a 1st and 3rd for their #1 wr and all we can get is a 5th rounder.

The FO literally creates several holes in team for NO reason, hence setting up a needs based draft. We did nothing but sign more bargain bin projects in free agency, so the cap talk was all nonsense.

Several people predicted that we were going to do nothing but sign bargain binners in free agency and it happened. It was predicted that we're going to draft a guy with off the field issues or an injury in the second round, and that happened.

It's literally the same predictable cycle over and over again. I'd absolutely love to be surprised, but this team screams a 9 and 8 kind of year.

The reasons were 100% completely obvious. They were also the right decisions.

The Cowboys got rid of: Collins, Cooper, Gregory

They were replaced with: Smith, Tolbert, Williams

And here is the 2nd half of the equation...............we saved 52 million per year in overpaid salaries in the process.

Essentially Cooper had been replaced by Lamb 2 years ago.

You call Kearse bargain bin? He was regarded by many fans as the #1 FA priority for the Cowboys

Gallup bargain bin? Shultz Bargain bin? Our pro bowl punter was that bargain bin? Armstrong bargain bin?

None of these things happen if we dont get rid those over priced veterans.

CWR

Reaction score
The reasons were 100% completely obvious. They were also the right decisions.

The Cowboys got rid of: Collins, Cooper, Gregory

They were replaced with: Smith, Tolbert, Williams

And here is the 2nd half of the equation...............we saved 52 million per year in overpaid salaries in the process.

Essentially Cooper had been replaced by Lamb 2 years ago.

You call Kearse bargain bin? He was regarded by many fans as the #1 FA priority for the Cowboys

Gallup bargain bin? Our pro bowl punter was that bargain bin? Armstrong bargain bin?

None of these things happen if we dont get rid those over priced veterans.

I really don't fault them for ridding themselves of those contracts. I still believe they could've gotten better value for Coop and I'm amazed they got absolutely nothing for a fairly highly regarded RT, in his prime.

Gallup and Kearse were both great signings. I do wish we'd have been more aggressive in FA, but maybe there is a long term plan ahead?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Grade
B+
DAL

Dallas Cowboys

Day 2 draft picks

Day 1 grade: C

Analysis: The Cowboys took a shot on the upside of offensive lineman Tyler Smith in the first round and then gambled on Williams' speed and bend on the outside, despite some off-field concerns. Tolbert is a downfield threat and was a much better value in the third round than several of the receivers selected in the second.

I give the Cowboys a solid B for this draft. Not a sexy draft, but very solid all around and filled needs.

Reactions: CWR

TheCritic

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a really good draft overall. Just didn't have the draft ammo to compete with the other NFC East teams. And no NFL team came close to the Ravens. One of the best drafts I've ever seen a team have.

Flamma

Reaction score
Doom and gloom is going a bit too far. I think the entire offseason in general, free agency and the draft, at best gets us back to where we were last year for 2022.

That's just my pragmatic side. That's the effort they put in, the reward will probably reflect that effort.

plymkr

Reaction score

I'm a doomer and gloomer. I had all posts pretyped and ready to send but got to admit I'm pretty content with what we got. I like our top 3 picks. I'm really excited about Jalen. I think we got a steal there. I'm also excited about Smith. I don't know much about our 2nd rounder but I'm glad we addressed the front 7.

So overall I'm pretty excited.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Nothing that can help us right away, except maybe some snaps from Sam Williams and about 20-30 catches from the WR. Smith is a project, bad technique and penalty prone ala Williams. FA was bad too. Eagles jumped ahead of us and also set for future with two first round picks next year. Got dean that would have been a first rounder if not for.injury and will contribute next year.

It's not looking good

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nothing that can help us right away, except maybe some snaps from Sam Williams and about 20-30 catches from the WR. Smith is a project, bad technique and penalty prone ala Williams. FA was bad too. Eagles jumped ahead of us and also set for future with two first round picks next year. Got dean that would have been a first rounder if not for.injury and will contribute next year.

It's not looking good

NO smith isnt a project. At LT possibly, but he will get right in at guard and be a big improvement. Especially in the run game. But I understand thats what the gloomers will say.

Williams will be a welcome find off the edge. 6-8 sacks would be a great rookie season.

Tolbert 20-30 catches would be nice. If there is a relapse in Gallup, he probably gets a lot more and thats a great fallback option.

Then of course you have the players from the last 3 drafts that should show improvement.

The 4th round TE will help us get back to more 12 personnel we like to use so much.

Cowboys did a great job of filling holes and a solid draft all around.

Syron

Reaction score
I don't know much about these players, so hard to evaluate. I like what I have seen and certainly hope the Olinemen pan out as Smith is aging and we need to sure up this line fast.

I would have preferred another WR with our 1. I would have moved up for Williams or Dotson if possible. This was the year to do it considering teams seem trading up didn't give up much. Unless Lamb truly establishes himself this year, not sure he is going to be worth the "next man up" asking price of 25m. I would have been okay with trading for Brown as well.

That said, I am hoping they stay aggressive in free agency. I am sure we have a slew of 1 year deals coming, and those have been mostly positive in recent years.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
NO smith isnt a project. At LT possibly, but he will get right in at guard and be a big improvement. Especially in the run game. But I understand thats what the gloomers will say.

Williams will be a welcome find off the edge. 6-8 sacks would be a great rookie season.

Tolbert 20-30 catches would be nice. If there is a relapse in Gallup, he probably gets a lot more and thats a great fallback option.

Then of course you have the players from the last 3 drafts that should show improvement.

The 4th round TE will help us get back to more 12 personnel we like to use so much.

Cowboys did a great job of filling holes and a solid draft all around.
How do you equate not having a kicker on the roster? Zuerlein had shaky moments but he still made some big kicks

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How do you equate not having a kicker on the roster? Zuerlein had shaky moments but he still made some big kicks

I cringed when the LSU kicker went. I was hoping they would take one. Maybe they sign one in UFA.

Zuerline was done.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After 25 plus years of next to nothing from the Cowboys the "doom and gloom" folks have become the REALISTS. Meanwhile the "Kool-Aid" drinking supporters of Jones & Son have become the JOKE.

Nothing to do with liking Jones or not. Its clear we all hate them.

Its about what you think of the drafts and the picks. If you dont have an opinion on that, that's fine. Just let the adults handle it.