How do all the doom and gloomers feels now?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Too early to tell if we’ve upgraded talent level at any of these positions mentioned at OL, DE and WR.

Yes, we filled some needs.

The early criticism is we passed on a 1st round talent that dropped at one of our key needs at DE. And drafted 2nd round talent in 1st round cause of greater need.

If both picks become 10 year starters or at least 2nd contracts then we can say were solid picks. But we’ll be watching how the 2 picks selected immediately after we selected do in comparison as they both were more of the BPA.

Jipper

Reaction score
Too early to tell if we’ve upgraded talent level at any of these positions mentioned at OL, DE and WR.

The early criticism is we passed on a 1st round talent that dropped at one of our key needs at DE. And drafted 2nd round talent in 1st round cause of greater need.

If both picks become 10 year starters or at least 2nd contracts then we can say were solid picks. But we’ll be watching how the 2 picks selected immediately after we selected do in comparison as they both were more of the BPA.

Nothing to argue with thete buddy...but that nasty factor he brings might be an equalizer...time will tell right?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't know much about these players, so hard to evaluate. I like what I have seen and certainly hope the Olinemen pan out as Smith is aging and we need to sure up this line fast.

I would have preferred another WR with our 1. I would have moved up for Williams or Dotson if possible. This was the year to do it considering teams seem trading up didn't give up much. Unless Lamb truly establishes himself this year, not sure he is going to be worth the "next man up" asking price of 25m. I would have been okay with trading for Brown as well.

That said, I am hoping they stay aggressive in free agency. I am sure we have a slew of 1 year deals coming, and those have been mostly positive in recent years.

Lamb has already established himself.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nothing to argue with thete buddy...but that nasty factor he brings might be an equalizer...time will tell right?
Right..

I like our 3rd and 4th round picks better. They could turn out to be real contributors for middle round picks. We’ve had pretty good success in 3rd round this era for WR. And middle round TE’s. Both of these are potential immediate contributors.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

When you have the 24th pick, how far is really to get to the 2nd round? 6 picks. So thats not really a big deal. Besides, most grades had him as an OT, not a guard. As a guard he grades much better than a tackle.

I do agree that jermain Johnson should have been the pick. I cant believe people havent asked Jones why he didnt take him yet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you have the 24th pick, how far is really to get to the 2nd round? 6 picks. So thats not really a big deal. Besides, most grades had him as an OT, not a guard. As a guard he grades much better than a tackle.

I do agree that jermain Johnson should have been the pick. I cant believe people havent asked Jones why he didnt take him yet.
I believe the 24th pick is 9 spots from the 2nd round with 32 picks in each round.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Looks like I failed math. :thumbup:

yah, 8 picks. Still not a big deal.
Yea , I agree ..we could have taken Johnson .

Then if we were concerned our OL wasn’t going to be there in 2nd round , we could have moved up. That to me would have been ideal or optimum.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yea , I agree ..we could have taken Johnson .

Then if we were concerned our OL wasn’t going to be there in 2nd round , we could have moved up. That to me would have been ideal or optimum.

I take Johnson and Jones the Uconn DT and sign a stop gap guard in FA after the draft and kick the can for the line down to next year.

The defense would be off the charts and completed with only the Oline to revamp.

Now if both Smith and Williams develop into great players then I take it back.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I take Johnson and Jones the Uconn DT and sign a stop gap guard in FA after the draft and kick the can for the line down to next year.

The defense would be off the charts and completed with only the Oline to revamp.

Now if both Smith and Williams develop into great players then I take it back.
If OL and DL are two highest priorities then seems like you’d take BPA in 1st round. Johnson could have been upgrade from Gregory.

Is there an argument Johnson wasn’t BPA?

Jipper

Reaction score
Right..

I like our 3rd and 4th round picks better. They could turn out to be real contributors for middle round picks. We’ve had pretty good success in 3rd round this era for WR. And middle round TE’s. Both of these are potential immediate contributors.

I'm with you on the wr, the TE seems good at a lot but not great at anything which worries me a bit but no risk

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm with you on the wr, the TE seems good at a lot but not great at anything which worries me a bit but no risk
The clips I saw he has good hands, run good routes and blocks. Solid 4th round pick much like Shultz was. I can see him being a solid contributor.

I think 3rd and 4th picks most likely to over achieve their draft slots.

If we’d taken Johnson in 1st . Stayed with a OL in 2nd and these two guys , I think we’d be looking at A grade in draft. As it is probably a B.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Got our mauling guard, pass rushing DE, and Smooth, fast receiver in the 3rd.

Werent those all the positions most were complaining about?

Just trying to check the pulse here.

Feels like we are grinding for a wildcard.....Not exactly what I had in mind. Let's just say winning the East isn't going to be as easy as it was last year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If OL and DL are two highest priorities then seems like you’d take BPA in 1st round. Johnson could have been upgrade from Gregory.

Is there an argument Johnson wasn’t BPA?

You never pass on a war daddy especially when its a position of extreme need.

kskboys

Reaction score
Got our mauling guard, pass rushing DE, and Smooth, fast receiver in the 3rd.

Werent those all the positions most were complaining about?

Just trying to check the pulse here.
I feels as if I' drunk!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for asking!!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Feels like we are grinding for a wildcard.....Not exactly what I had in mind. Let's just say winning the East isn't going to be as easy as it was last year.

I think this is a team with similar talent, but built better and only one huge overpaid contract blunder in Zeke. Its also a much younger team with a rising defense.

I feel like another good offseason with more cap room next year and we will see our window begin.

Thats not to say things couldnt fall into place this year. Our defense should be better and if Smith is mauler he is supposed to be in the run game then that will be a big improvement.

I think another 12-5 and first round playoff game is a given.

offlimits

Reaction score
Hey guys, recent addition to the doom and gloom club here. Thanks for having me.

I may however, become disqualified because I'm fairly happy with the draft to this point.

It's like going to Vegas and betting everything on red. It's a gamble. Only time will tell... maybe at the halfway point of the season we will have answers.

Reactions: CWR

Jipper

Reaction score
The clips I saw he has good hands, run good routes and blocks. Solid 4th round pick much like Shultz was. I can see him being a solid contributor.

I think 3rd and 4th picks most likely to over achieve their draft slots.

If we’d taken Johnson in 1st . Stayed with a OL in 2nd and these two guys , I think we’d be looking at A grade in draft. As it is probably a B.

Value was there on a lot of picks, as was need, excited to see them develop

Reactions: CWR