How do Cowboys fix red zone problems?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do agree about the 2016 defense letiing us down in the playoffs but as far as the 2016 offense I thought a big key with that offense was the way we utilized Dak and Zeke and how it was new to defenses of the NFL world, they didn't and couldn't seem to be able to grasp and adjust to what we could do.

and they didn't have enough time to film tale study our offense to better adjust and counter scheme us.
that's why we tend to roll comfortably pass every defense except the New York Giants that year (and I won't even count that throwaway Sanchez finale game versus Philly)

But afterwards teams eventually had time to study more film and plan for us, they were better prepared for us, they spotted out predictable Tendencies, they scheme devised more ways to bracket coverage Beasley,
to take him out of the offense and add that to the decline of our outside wide receivers as they seem more exposed with their inability to separate from coverage, and that adds to the questions and concerns with Linehan,
that seemed to continue and he never seem to able to make counter adjustments himself both pregame and in game
and when you're hearing players and ex players questioning his ability to adjust ,expand instead of same formations same plays, never showing glimpses that things were never gonna change.

I wasn't a fan of Linehan's, to be clear. I just don't think Kellen Moore is likely to be a wonder-tonic for the offense. I think we're going to see some new variations pre-snap. And I think we're adding personnel to be able to run the same plays out of different personnel groups. If we see a major difference with the passing game this year, and I think we might, it's going to be mostly because Dak is taking a big step forward as a passer. There's sort of a sense that that might be happening this offseason. Can't wait for training camp to see if that continues.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of Linehan's, to be clear. I just don't think Kellen Moore is likely to be a wonder-tonic for the offense. I think we're going to see some new variations pre-snap. And I think we're adding personnel to be able to run the same plays out of different personnel groups. If we see a major difference with the passing game this year, and I think we might, it's going to be mostly because Dak is taking a big step forward as a passer. There's sort of a sense that that might be happening this offseason. Can't wait for training camp to see if that continues.
The O system used w/ Dak was not a system designed to get the most out of Dak's skillset. If Dak takes a big step forward, that will be a big part of it.

It's OK for it to be both.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
+1
You make several good points;

- one poster said " Dak himself has to improve in this area" yes, that's very true. He missed several open targets in end zone and he'd more run it in, or continue to attack outside or back
of end zone line.
- i'm counting on Kellen as OC to be creative in design, formation, motion and be able to identify and adjust to defense scheme in red zone.
- Witten's great routes/feel for pass game should help some in this kind of very short area and hopefully those frequent false starts of his won't hurt much.

- OL effect:
- Fredrick gets defender off the blocks, and great at cutting off pursuit;
- also Martin's knee was bothersome and couldn't overpower or move as usual.
- Williams was a rookie still learning OG role and didn't have anchor power, had to learn Alexander scheme; should be vastly more improved
-I believe the entire OL was a disaster under Alexander

- Gallup may be developing as a jump ball fade end zone playmaker (ala his TD seattle playoff game) getting better at physically contested for ball in tight space.
- Linehan got worse as red zone play caller, more eager to fool foes with the pass, than scheming plays for zeke near goal line, just too predictable and simple at times,
seemed slow to play to his strength of his personnel, imo.

- Cobb will have to step it up; his feel and ability to play both inside slot or outside flank gives options
- Cooper in a full season can help; has similar Beasley like footwork and re-direct skills

- I think Pollard use in a flex role as RB, WR, occasional slot could be very handy. could depend upon Kellen's design and Pollard adapting quickly.
also if we can use Pollard as a blocking WR, doesn't that threaten Noah's role and roster spot ?

- speaking of Brown, Linehan actually tried to use him around goal line but Dak's passes were badly thrown.
- i'm willing to bet that a lot that Kellen will try to do, will be mimic and based off what the Rams scheme do

- Wish we had stronger in-line blocking TEs, as it's not a strength of our TE unit vs what we used to have with Hanna/Swaim. and aging Witten has declined in that area as well. Doubt we used
Jumbo Looney and coaches will go with whatever there at TE.

- please no more of this Rico end zone ideas. dude was as stiff and non-agile as a jump ball receiver

Kellen Moore
- I'm certain that he can design/call creative plays.
- His biggest challenge could be getting players to execute "creative" plays.

Witten
- He was never a big TD producer but sometimes they just need to get a 1st down in the RZ.

Frederick
- They missed his line calls almost as much as his actual play.
- Looney did a nice job as a backup forced to start, but he was limited.

Connor Williams
- He was much better later in the season.
- Everybody knew (pre-draft) he needed a year in the NFL before he would ready.

Paul Alexander
- This was a weird issue.
- He tried to make too many changes too soon.
- It does concern me because his style has worked in the NFL previously.
- Did he expose an issue with the OL group that could surface again?

Gallup
- He made great progress as a rookie.
- Definitely above average progress compared to the history of rookie WRs.

Linehan
- He obviously knows a lot about football, but he just didn't seem to have a "feel" for which plays to call.
- They ran some slow developing pass plays that should be avoided in the RZ.

Cobb
- Health is the only concern I have for Cobb.
- He is a quality NFL slot WR.

Cooper
- His quickness for his size is amazing.
- Beasley quickness at 6-1, 210.

Pollard
- His college team (Memphis) had creative play designs.
- He did everything including play as a Wildcat type QB, play RB, play WR and block.
- Great observation (quickccc) on Pollard with regards to Noah Brown.
- I mentioned a few week ago Pollard might limit their desire to use Brown more.
- Pollard is not a power blocker like Brown. They would not be used on the same type of blocks.
- however, they might just replace those plays where they used Brown with different plays that use Pollard.
- Regardless of Pollard, Brown does need to show a little more as a receiver this preseason.
- Yes, I recall 2 passes to Brown near the goal-line that were off target​

Rams
- I think the NFL will trend towards doing some of the things the Rams did on offense.
- Much of the Rams success was in the details more than the obvious motion or high percent of 3 WR sets.
- One interesting thing about the Rams was that they used less shotgun than most teams.

TE
- Schultz became the blocking TE in the 2nd half of 2018 and playoffs.
- Jarwin became the receiving TE in the 2nd half of 2018 and playoffs.
- Using OL as TEs is a good option in that 5 yards to goal-line or less area in the RZ.
- DT Trysten Hill played FB a few times in college.
- It requires practice time commitment to use a Big at FB.
- The Cowboys did tried it with OL Holland and DL Brent in the past, but they didn't appear prepared.​

Rico
- I don't know if he'll even make the roster.
- In his defense, he's about where he should be for a player with zero college football experience.
- He was equivalent to a Rookie in 2018 with his first ever NFL snaps in real games.
- The previous 2 years were to make up for his lack of playing college football.
- Most likely time for no-college-football player to show up is in training camp after 1st season with real experience.
- Rico does have size/power in 1-on-1 blocking against DL that the others including Witten don't have.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not a single snap and we have red-zone issues?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak needs to run more. His feet are his best weapon and help keep the defense off balance. His performance against the Jaguars last year should be the blue print for the offense.

Does he?

2018 QB Total Rushing Attempts
- Dak 5th

2018 QB RZ Rushing Attempts
- Dak 6th

2018 QB Rushing TDs
- 1st Josh Allen (8 TDs)
- 2nd Dak Prescott (6 TDs)

QB Rushing Attempts Comparison
Dak
- 2018: 75
- 2018 vs Jax: 11 (projects to 176 for 16 games)

Romo
- Career High: 35

RG3
- Career High: 120

Cam Newton
- Career Average: 116

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Why must you be so outwardly critical? If you find yourself in disagreement, just move on. Lashing out like that because you disagree solves nothing. Does it make you feel like a big man to call someone a "goof" on the internet? I come here to escape and read about my favorite team after a hard day in the real world. I don't appreciate you calling me a "goof", just for sharing my opinion.
Goofball?:muttley:

Just joking joeking

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does he?

2018 QB Total Rushing Attempts
- Dak 5th

2018 QB RZ Rushing Attempts
- Dak 6th

2018 QB Rushing TDs
- 1st Josh Allen (8 TDs)
- 2nd Dak Prescott (6 TDs)

QB Rushing Attempts Comparison
Dak
- 2018: 75
- 2018 vs Jax: 11 (projects to 176 for 16 games)

Romo
- Career High: 35

RG3
- Career High: 120

Cam Newton
- Career Average: 116

Do you watch the games or just post meaningless stats?

DanA

Reaction score
There's a bunch of stuff
- Less targets for Olawale, N.Brown & Rico in the Redzone
- Less blown assignments for the TE's
- More pre-snap movement
- More powerful O-line
- More read-option
- Use Zeke more within 5 yards
- Jarwin will be better
- Gallup will be better
- Witten is an upgrade

I think it all has a cumulative effect

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Kellen Moore
- I'm certain that he can design/call creative plays.
- His biggest challenge could be getting players to execute "creative" plays.

Rico
- I don't know if he'll even make the roster.
- In his defense, he's about where he should be for a player with zero college football experience.
- He was equivalent to a Rookie in 2018 with his first ever NFL snaps in real games.
- The previous 2 years were to make up for his lack of playing college football.
- Most likely time for no-college-football player to show up is in training camp after 1st season with real experience.
- Rico does have size/power in 1-on-1 blocking against DL that the others including Witten don't have.

I think Moore will actually and finally take advantage of Rico this year, just a gut feeling.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We didn't make the additions necessary to improve dramatically

Still feeling the effects of not having redzone threat like Dez

Cooper was a very good redzone threat. The biggest addition was by subtraction and that was getting rid of Linehan.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Cooper was a very good redzone threat. The biggest addition was by subtraction and that was getting rid of Linehan.

No Cooper wasn't, and hasn't been a redzone threat for his career.

His TDs for his career have come on a average 36.9 yards, and 37.1 yards for us last year.

Only eight of his 25 career TDs have come within the redzone, five within the 10 yard line. His sole TD inside the 10 yard line for us last year was his very first series with us against the Titans.

We need a Crabtree to our Amari.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Using OL as TEs is a good option in that 5 yards to goal-line or less area in the RZ.

Good post X. To add on to a couple points.

They should have been using CWill in this role last year. Maybe this year as well. He moves quite well, no reason not to take advantage of that. Seattle ran it quite effectively and not just near the goal line.

Rico was blocking pretty effectively the last half of the year. For whatever his deficiencies are, he does seem to get slammed somewhat unjustly. It appears he has fallen out of favor and that is how he is going to be portrayed regardless of his performance.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post X. To add on to a couple points.

They should have been using CWill in this role last year. Maybe this year as well. He moves quite well, no reason not to take advantage of that. Seattle ran it quite effectively and not just near the goal line.

Rico was blocking pretty effectively the last half of the year. For whatever his deficiencies are, he does seem to get slammed somewhat unjustly. It appears he has fallen out of favor and that is how he is going to be portrayed regardless of his performance.

Connor Williams
- Teams like to keep rookies (CWill) focused on 1 position.
- CW likely practice both OG and OT this year.
- Likely only used as blocking TE if non-starter on OL.
- Probably could have played TE in college, maybe NFL.
- Likely would have been limited to 2nd TE type role.
- OLine obviously much better for him.​

Rico
- Even if he was a model citizen, fans would be down on him at this point.
- Fans/media expect players to do something by year 2 or 3 at the latest.
- That's not a reasonable expectation for a player with no college football experience.
- Rico needs to avoid posting comments on social media.

If Rico comes to camp focused on being his best including a focus on the playbook and technique, he has a chance.