How do Cowboys fix red zone problems?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
No Cooper wasn't, and hasn't been a redzone threat for his career.

His TDs for his career have come on a average 36.9 yards, and 37.1 yards for us last year.

Only eight of his 25 career TDs have come within the redzone, five within the 10 yard line. His sole TD inside the 10 yard line for us last year was his very first series with us against the Titans.

We need a Crabtree to our Amari.
so 1/3 of his career tds have been redzone? thats not good? When you have a RB and QB who are some of the best inside the redzone running the ball, more times then not thats money for the team. Its not saying Cooper isnt good in the redzone. Its that Elliot and Dak are money running in for TDs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They were 26th last year in the red zone and were 7th in 2017. How much did the absence of Witten play into the red zone woe's last year? I never really considered Witten to be a red zone threat but that's just my opinion. What do you think Moore needs to do inside the 20 that they failed to do last year? Think about how many points you leave on the field when your ranked 26th in the red zone and how that determines wins and losses. I do know that they need to get Zeke involved more and by that I mean catching the ball and so forth.........
dak needs to stop throwing Int. in the end zone and we need some better route combos to help open up some running lanes so we can run it in.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
so 1/3 of his career tds have been redzone? thats not good? When you have a RB and QB who are some of the best inside the redzone running the ball, more times then not thats money for the team. Its not saying Cooper isnt good in the redzone. Its that Elliot and Dak are money running in for TDs.

You think Zeke was money running in the redzone last year?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You think Zeke was money running in the redzone last year?

For what he was asked to do yes i do. He split them carries with Dak. Between them, they scored 11tds. Gurley had 17, Kamara had 13. Then there is Elliot and Dak with 11

Dallas individual numbers get cut because of the personel they have.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No Cooper wasn't, and hasn't been a redzone threat for his career.

His TDs for his career have come on a average 36.9 yards, and 37.1 yards for us last year.

Only eight of his 25 career TDs have come within the redzone, five within the 10 yard line. His sole TD inside the 10 yard line for us last year was his very first series with us against the Titans.

We need a Crabtree to our Amari.

Good point.

Cooper and Crabtree with the Raiders. in the Redzone.

Player …...… TD …… Targets …… TD as % Targets
Cooper …...… 6 …....… 33 …........… 18.2%
Crabtree …… 13 …...… 48 …........… 27.1%

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
For what he was asked to do yes i do. He split them carries with Dak. Between them, they scored 11tds. Gurley had 17, Kamara had 13. Then there is Elliot and Dak with 11

Dallas individual numbers get cut because of the personel they have.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

I think Zeke was the opposite of money. And everything backs that up.

There were more than enough redzone opportunities that we didn't score tha Cooper could have capitalized.

Also Dak has had the same amount of rushing TDs all three years, Zeke just has regressed and that led to his lower TD totals last season.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
More creative playcalling will help; as will the return of Witten, a healthier offensive line, and having Cooper for an entire season.

Or, maybe the Cowboys don't need to be so creative. How many times did they throw the ball around the goalline last year when all they had to do was turn around and give the ball to Zeke two, three, or four times if need be?

This is why I'm eager to see Kellen Moore's approach.
my own take on this is either pass 3 times, or run 3 times, dont mix it up, and then as u say gamble on close ones and go on 4th down.
If you run, there is less chance of a sack or a holding penalty or some sort of offensive penalty like on a pass play.
So to me the odds are better just running 3-4 times, but they still need to be creative with this, dont just hand off and run into the pile over and over.
The option plays are good, with dak either handing off, or pitching to EE or keeping it himself.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Just be kind when you disagree. A civil discussion doesn't have to be boring.

You are correct.
I am contrite. I get hyper when my sodium levels wear off.
Get me a case of Mountain Dew and I will try to do better.

Best,
Your Hero,
Gimme

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We'll have to agree to disagree here.

I think Zeke was the opposite of money. And everything backs that up.

There were more than enough redzone opportunities that we didn't score tha Cooper could have capitalized.

Also Dak has had the same amount of rushing TDs all three years, Zeke just has regressed and that led to his lower TD totals last season.
Lol regressed?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
They were 26th last year in the red zone and were 7th in 2017. How much did the absence of Witten play into the red zone woe's last year? I never really considered Witten to be a red zone threat but that's just my opinion. What do you think Moore needs to do inside the 20 that they failed to do last year? Think about how many points you leave on the field when your ranked 26th in the red zone and how that determines wins and losses. I do know that they need to get Zeke involved more and by that I mean catching the ball and so forth.........
I think they should fire Linehan

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Since we are close to training camp....If you want a hint @ what's in store...go back to Boise St. tape 2010. It's basically a 3 TE bunch set that was unstoppable. Maybe you may have recognized it in the Rams playoff loss...as the Rams ran trap plays all night long for a tune of 300 yards rushing. That set basically allows for double team blocks across the board...while still able to leak out people in the passing game....and the best part.....defenses have no clue how to defense this. Some people will say...but look @ what the Patriots did in the Super Bowl. Go back and watch that game again. What did the Rams do different?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Or throw in a Dak run for good measure.
This^^^ Dak is nearly unstoppable on the QB draw. Seems like it took 3/4 of the season last year before we ran one. Run some bootlegs, etc. Be creative down there. I get pounding it with Zeke, but throw in a new wrinkle or two and you'll see us climb those rankings.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
how has elliot regressed? he had 2000 total yrds. expanded his role to include over 70 catches and over 300 carries.

He regressed in your view because the OC mismanaged his touches in situations and formations?

Elliot is more important then his rookie yr. He makes the play action work when they decide to use it. When they do it works 100% of the time. Because the defense plays Elliot first, then the pass.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This^^^ Dak is nearly unstoppable on the QB draw. Seems like it took 3/4 of the season last year before we ran one. Run some bootlegs, etc. Be creative down there. I get pounding it with Zeke, but throw in a new wrinkle or two and you'll see us climb those rankings.

Yeah, and he set up the game winning TD or scored it (I think set it up) with a magnificent run. Dak is too big for most defenders to stop when he's on the run. Get him close to the goal line, you're not stopping him.