How Do the Eagles Have This Much Cap Space?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
But the discussion was that Hurts helped the Eagles by taking a longer deal (and doesn't have the handcuff by demanding a NTC).
Hurts’ agent demanded, and got, a no trade clause in his current contract. His deal is only $110 million guaranteed. By comparison Deshaun Watson’s deal is $230 million guaranteed. Hurts’ deal is a lucrative one for him and gives him some control. It also gives the Eagles some flexibility managing the cap. But if Hurts plays the next five seasons for the Eagles his compensation works out to $51 million per season. All the Eagles have to do is build a decent roster to make Hurts worth as much as they can. Hurts’ agent only helped her client. I doubt she gave a **** about the Eagles. If Philadelphia wants their money’s worth Lurie/Roseman will have to make it happen.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I just read that Josh Sweat has restructured his contract despite higher offers from other teams? Something isn't right. We can't afford players and Howie signs whoever he wants?

Because we have Jerry and Stephen as GMs. They have no clue on how to run a football team and don't know how to use the cap to their advantage. They are fools.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Because we have Jerry and Stephen as GMs. They have no clue on how to run a football team and don't know how to use the cap to their advantage. They are fools.
By Signing Sweat it's less likely they'll keep Reddick who was much better than Sweat. Doesn't sound like a smart move to me. Cheaper, not smarter for the team.

kskboys

Reaction score
and you know for a FACT they contacted Dak and he is refusing to work with them? again there are MANY other things this FO could've done not including Dak to make moves..they didnt do any of them, kinda like the last 8 years even when Dak's hit was 2 mill, 8 mill...last year it was what 29 mill..whats the reason for those years? Why has he done nothing to free up the 50 mill he could've this offseason not even touching Dak's stuff? again dont let this FO off the hook every team has to pay the QB they just do it way better and actually want to better the team in FA..
I don't get your point. Dak insisted on a shorter deal which has hamstrung the team, and now is saying he wants more than any player ever.

The FO is definitely the biggest problem on this team.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
By Signing Sweat it's less likely they'll keep Reddick who was much better than Sweat. Doesn't sound like a smart move to me. Cheaper, not smarter for the team.
Sounds like a very smart move to me. Reddick wants $25 million per year. Apparently the Eagles do not want to pay him that. He’s getting $15 million for this season and is a $20+ million cap hit. Only Atlanta has shown any interest in trading for him. For Philly it’s trade him now for whatever you might get as after this season he’s a free agent (like Dak) and walks away with the Eagles getting no more than a 3rd round comp pick in 2026. They would probably take a 5th round pick in this year’s draft for him. A trade requires a team that needs him, can afford his salary this season, and is willing to give up draft capital. Someone will likely bite, but it won’t be for much in trade. He turns 30 in September.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I don't get your point. Dak insisted on a shorter deal which has hamstrung the team, and now is saying he wants more than any player ever.

He has not said he even wants another deal with the Cowboys. And Article 48 of the CBA forbids the Cowboys from even proffering an offer sheet to Dak. It must go through his agent. Fans are making up circumstances that don’t exist.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Yeah I would have signed Reddick. Sweat is still a good player compared to what we have. They are at least active in FA. What are we doing to stay competitive?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Hurts’ deal is a lucrative one for him and gives him some control. It also gives the Eagles some flexibility managing the cap. But if Hurts plays the next five seasons for the Eagles his compensation works out to $51 million per season. All the Eagles have to do is build a decent roster to make Hurts worth as much as they can.
Exactly, the only real difference is length of contract. Both teams have restructured and will feel the pain at the conclusion...Eagles facing Dead money of $97M - 2029. Due to the length of contract, our CAP difficulty (or Hell) is expedited due to the shorter length of Dak's contract.
Over the years of the contract BOTH teams have restructured to provide a competitive roster.
Everyone pays eventually, we're paying the bill this year (with a lesser bill in 2025), Eagles in 2029. The big issue is IF Dak wants another short term contract, the outstanding Dead Money makes it difficult to get lower CAP hit in the early years. Similarly, in 2029, the Eagles face the same problem (if not worse if Hurts doesnt accept a long contract).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Yep, there's a misconception that anyone pointing to the length of Dak's previous (and potentially forthcoming contract) is supporting the FO.....NO...what we're saying is that BOTH factors are an issue.
What I hope is that this soft reset, with: the Dak, Micah and CeeDee contracts up in the air and the potential comp picks for the loss of players to free agency (players who arent seen as future starters) is set up as a clean slate for a professional GM to start with a Near/Somewhat clean slate.

kskboys

Reaction score
He has not said he even wants another deal with the Cowboys. And Article 48 of the CBA forbids the Cowboys from even proffering an offer sheet to Dak. It must go through his agent. Fans are making up circumstances that don’t exist.
Rumors, you are correct. However, looking at his last contract fight, it appears unlikely that he isn't asking for a cap strapping contract.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Rumors, you are correct. However, looking at his last contract fight, it appears unlikely that he isn't asking for a cap strapping contract.
Yep,negotiations did appear one sided....which is another reason to get a proper GM

bottleKids

Reaction score
so they're better at the cap than us and yet we beat them for the division two out of the last three years...hmmm

everyone say it's no big deal but you're giving them all the credit for being able to maneuver the cap, spend more money on bigger names ,and yet still barely competing side by side with us, I mean Jerry sure doing a good job not knowing what he's doing and somehow competing with the Eagles...

I mean how do we beat them two years out of the last three for the division if they're so much better than us I mean it seems like there's so much better that's what you guys are saying, I mean you want to give props to them without mentioning the fact that the Cowboys are also winning a lot of games and beating the Eagles for the division....irony
Stop glorifying division wins. I don't understand why fans accept the Division as our Superbowl.

NFCE Champions last 20 years - eGals 10
Dallas - 7

I wont even post playoff success the last 20 years. Why as a fan do you not want more? Jerry loves and thrives on fans like you.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
His agent is certainly going to ask for compensation similar to other quarterbacks in the league who have performed similar to how Dak has performed. Why would his agent suggest signing for less? France likely wants Prescott to be a free agent. He is not going to squander this opportunity to cash in, particularly because he will want to be able to attract future star players to his employer’s agency. It’s his job. They also represent Justin Jefferson. Safe to say this group is serious about their representation of professional athletes. Jerry Jones’ best move is to let Dak play out the contract and leave. He is not going to get significant concessions from Dak Prescott’s reps simply because he owns the Cowboys. Probably the opposite. Jerry is overmatched in this situation. Proof is the deal Dak got last time and the subsequent foolish handling of the salary cap in deference to the deal.

kskboys

Reaction score
His agent is certainly going to ask for compensation similar to other quarterbacks in the league who have performed similar to how Dak has performed. Why would his agent suggest signing for less? France likely wants Prescott to be a free agent. He is not going to squander this opportunity to cash in, particularly because he will want to be able to attract future star players to his employer’s agency. It’s his job. They also represent Justin Jefferson. Safe to say this group is serious about their representation of professional athletes. Jerry Jones’ best move is to let Dak play out the contract and leave. He is not going to get significant concessions from Dak Prescott’s reps simply because he owns the Cowboys. Probably the opposite. Jerry is overmatched in this situation. Proof is the deal Dak got last time and the subsequent foolish handling of the salary cap in deference to the deal.
Jerry is always overmatched in anything football.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Stop glorifying division wins. I don't understand why fans accept the Division as our Superbowl.

Dallas - 7

I wont even post playoff success the last 20 years. Why as a fan do you not want more? Jerry loves and thrives on fans like you.
Damn, the Giants and Washington have really been that bad most of the time. At least the Giants have a Super Bowl sprinkled in there.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Most teams extend their best players a year early and never allow them to play out their contracts.
When you let a guy play out his contract like they did by low-balling Dak and allowing him to bet on himself, the player is looking straight at free agency, and you have to pay him crazy money and throw in other incentives like no franchise tag or trade.

When you extend a new contract a year early, that player is seeing the big bucks in his imagination vs another season of pay on his old contract. Both the player and the agent want that fast money boost, so they are likely more open to compromise, along with being a year behind NFL inflation of salaries.

The Cowboys mishandled Dak from his rookie contract till now, and are still mucking it up, just like what happened to Kirk Cousins. You should never let a player you want to resign play on the franchise tag. 1, he will never want to play for less after seeing those checks; and 2, you are now truly up against the marketplace when negotiating a new contract. When you resign him early, yes, you lose that one year of a great deal, but you also have no competitors because no one else is even allowed to talk to him.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Because they have real front office people ......... and not billionaire fantasy football players who are in over their head.

Sydla

Reaction score

Dallas - 7

I mean you know why they glorify things like regular season wins and divisional titles. Because if you look at the last 25 years in terms of the most important thing - playoff success - it's an embarrassing comparison between us and Philly.

But as I said, the irony here is that these same people will also claim we are a better overall franchise than Philly. Why? Because of SBs.......... you can't make that up.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

the second part is what im saying they have not played in FA in a long time because they dont want to...has nothing to do with cap space..they use "Cap space" so the fans dont call them out for being dumb...."We would love to sign some big FA's but we cant because we have to pay our QB unlike the other 31 teams"..its BS

Vanilla2

Reaction score
The joneses don’t care. They know we as a fan base will blame the players for the cap situation.

I mean don’t the players know how much ad money they can make just for playing in Dallas? They should give team friendly deals!

As long as we are above or around .500 the money will keep flowing. And that’s what Jerry and co really care about. So just wait for the Forbes list and let that be your championship. I know it’s what I look to and take pride in. You should too

AMERICAS TEAM!