How Do the Eagles Have This Much Cap Space?

kskboys

Reaction score
We've been saying this about Philly since they won that SB. They find ways to manipulate the cap to their advantage. Roseman counts on the cap going up and up and thus far, it's not really hurt them. Maybe it eventually will but the reality is they continue to churn the roster, continue to use every method of player acquisition at their disposal and are not satisfied with their roster.

We are the exact opposite.
And one of the biggest differences, they are not afraid to move on from a player. Look at what they got for Wentz. Their extra draft picks allow them to move on from players. Ou refusal to move on from players while they are worth something just keeps hindering us.

kskboys

Reaction score
jaylen per is more than Dak..but ok you believe Stephen if you want.
Jaylon signed a longer term deal so the team could work w/ the numbers, and just signed an extension so the Eagles could go out and get players. Dak did not.

Stephen is a joke, but those are the facts.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Jaylon signed a longer term deal so the team could work w/ the numbers, and just signed an extension so the Eagles could go out and get players. Dak did not.

Stephen is a joke, but those are the facts.
and you know for a FACT they contacted Dak and he is refusing to work with them? again there are MANY other things this FO could've done not including Dak to make moves..they didnt do any of them, kinda like the last 8 years even when Dak's hit was 2 mill, 8 mill...last year it was what 29 mill..whats the reason for those years? Why has he done nothing to free up the 50 mill he could've this offseason not even touching Dak's stuff? again dont let this FO off the hook every team has to pay the QB they just do it way better and actually want to better the team in FA..

Sydla

Reaction score
Exactly, I don't agree with all of it but that's my sentiment as well I'm tired of fans talking about the Eagles you know they are bitter rivals right we hate them yeah every time I come on here we got to talk about the Eagles on our front page for no reason who cares if they have cap space and how they use it if they are not consistently beating us they just had an historic meltdown last year and lost the division to us no matter all those moves this place seem to drool over I'm tired of talking about the Eagles who we need to get by is the 49ers wait even them they have yet to win a Super Bowl since 1994 and the Eagles only have one in total I mean I get it the goal is the Super bowl and I would settle for an NFC championship game appearance I get we're falling short but the point of this is we're having this conversation about the Eagles because our own fans keep posting about the Eagles so I'm gonna aggressively be replying like this angrily run on Rambles!!..

My last point is as much as people wanna rip our team apart and how the front office does business they are putting together good rosters without being the all in mentality which is very seldom used by the way I mean it worked for the Rams but it did not work for the Eagles getting to the Super bowl is not the goal I mean it would be nice for us to get there but they did all that and they didn't win neither did the 49ers after going out and overpaying for Christian McCaffrey having one of the best rosters on the planet both teams have lost to a team that does the least in free agency the Kansas City Chiefs are not aggressive in free agency they literally are going with a lot of running backs by committee wide receivers by committee they're smart in drafting they bring in some good undrafted free agents they make a few trades but show me how they're at the top of the list the actual Super Bowl winners yes they have a better head coach and slightly better quarterback but they still are conducting business normally very similar to what the Cowboys are doing they just are doing it better but they are not doing the all in thing they are winning Super Bowls by also not being aggressive in high risk...

Very few teams do that the way Jerry does it is the way most teams build their rosters,

yes I would love for them too once in a while do something really high risk and bring in a big name free agent even though it's not a guarantee there is no blueprint that is not the only way to build a roster... the way they do business is very similar than most of the NFL and how do I know this there are top 6 team the last three years they finished better than 24/26 other teams when it comes to records and consistently getting to the playoffs,

somehow they must be doing it by dumb luck and accidents because everyone around here says they're terrible that they have the worst of everything that they do business they're the worst of everything historically bad all seasons and somehow we keep making the playoffs...
Let's be honest. It's not the Eagles talk that bothers you, it's the fact you aren't a fool and actually understand the issues and deep down you realize and understand they've accomplished more recently than we have, and it's really not all that close. And that they figure out ways to churn their roster and come back whereas we continue to muddle along with a flawed strategy that continually results in failure after failure. That's what really bothers you.

There isn't a fan on this board that wouldn't love to trade what Philly has done the last 7 years with what we have done. If roles were reversed, and the Eagles had the same success we did over the last 7 years, we'd be mocking them to no end (and likely not talking about them). But reality is they have been more successful recently and they are a franchise that doesn't rest on their laurels and just float along like we do. And at the end of the day, that bugs the crap out of all of us.

The Cowboys do not do business like most of the other NFL teams. No one eschews FA like we do. No one. There's a reason why the Cowboys are often near the bottom of cash spent annually (or over a period of time). It's, in part, because we ignore FA. No one has been as "cheap" in FA as we have been. For the last three years, we have been one of the last teams in the FA to sign an outside player. What we do is unique. And flawed. And it bears out in the results. You love to cite regular season wins but reality, those are meaningless when talking about success. No one talks about how we won 13 games years ago that fizzled out early. Because at the end of the day, the playoffs is all that matters. That defines a season. That defines a team. People that laud regular season wins in place of playoff success are homers that struggle to admit their franchise just isn't good enough and flawed and not run well.

Brandon Carr signed in 2012. He was the last big FA we signed. From the 2012 season until now, 12 different teams have made the SB. Nearly half the league. It gets worse when looking at Champ games. In the seasons since we signed Carr, 10 different AFC teams have made the AFCCG, 12 different NFC teams have made the NFCCG. It's not just luck or bad luck on our part. These teams are just better at utilizing every means necessary to try to get better and build a more complete roster. Jerry and his dope son have largely taken the position that FA is a waste, just use it for cheap roster filler and build your championship caliber team solely through the draft.

The results, for what all of us think is one of the true elite franchises in the NFL, is that they are one of just 10 teams that has not seen a Championship game since they decided to get cheap as hell in FA. Browns, Giants, Commanders, Bears, Jets, Dolphins, Texans, Raiders, Chargers........... that's more our company. Not the 49ers or Chiefs.

Last edited:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yep, length of contract is probably the biggest chasm between Jerry and Dak.
actually it was committing before the 2 tags THEN it was 4 years..funny thing could've been 6 years 2 years before they finally committed..i dont understand some fans need to give this FO a pass...they have a very specific MO. When your "Sold" on your QB you dont wait for the market to get bigger when they had an easy chance to sign him for a much friendlier deal before they waited. That was just horrible business by the front office...you dont wait..move on from him or extend him early..waiting kills your cap.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Since the year 2000 the Cowboys have been the least successful team in the NFL when it comes to playoff success.

Cowboys have 4 playoff wins tying them for last with the Raiders and Jaguars,
The Raiders have been to a SB and the Jags to an AFC title game
Dallas hasn’t gotten out of a divisional round.

So yes if regular season wins, division titles and beating the Eagles is the goal, Dallas has been very successfu. If the barometer is playoff wins and the chance to advance then not so much.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-playoff-wins-since-2000

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Say you almost had a point until you brought the Ravens into this the Ravens haven't done squat, I believe Lamar only has two playoff wins as well,

ohh well they finally got to a championship game but you're using them as a barometer???

Look man I'm just gonna tell you like it is if you're gonna post about a rival a big time bitter rival give them their flowers all over our Dallas Cowboys forum this is what you're gonna get what does that say in the title somebody's praising the Eagles therefore I'm allowed to say the Eagles have lost their division to us twice even with their aggressive style they literally are having problems beating what people around here say is a circus and that we have clueless delusional GM that doesn't know what he's doing how is that equate to 36 wins two division titles three straight playoff appearances and five appearances in the playoffs in the last eight seasons with a healthy quarterback??? Everyone around here says that Jerry's the worst GM in the history of football the way they talk they act like he's a clown that doesn't know anything how is it that he competes with Howie Roseman and the Eagles how is it that the Dallas Cowboys so ridiculously torn apart in their own forums in their own fan base that gives flowers to other bitter rivals and yet doesn't see apocryphally and the fact that the reality is how is Jerry keeping up with the Eagles being so clumsy and clueless kinda crazy huh he hires the yes men bad coaches apparently he overpays his overrated quarterback he doesn't know how to put talent on the team and yet somehow he competes with this Eagles team I'm sitting there have to talk about because you all put it on the damn front page so that's my answer to the original poster there's a lot of cap space but they don't do a whole lot with it it is all paper because they did not even beat the Cowboys 2 out of the last three years for the division...

When you understand why I'm posting these rambles and aggressive replies you understand let it hit you let it sink in that Howie Roseman and the Eagles are being slobbered over by our fans and yet they have not beat this bobble head of a front office that does everything on a budget and still beats the Eagles who overpays and over aggressively goes after stuff just because they lost a Super Bowl and they only still have one in the history of their entire franchise and yeah I have to sit here and talk about it so you're gonna get my replies just exactly as they are intended...​
I get Hurts has had more playoff success than Jackson, but I don’t think Hurts is the quarterback Jackson is. I think the Ravens are, right now, better than the Cowboys and Eagles. The advantage of employing Roseman is less him being smart and more he can be terminated. He does not go to work everyday with the sense that someday he will own the team. That is never going to happen. His approach to his job is more traditional compared to Stephen Jones whose position is more birthright than the result of performance. History is great. Steeler fans and 49ers fans are proud of their teams’ history. All fans are more concerned with the next season. That is always the season that counts the most. If fans are frustrated it’s because of the perception of what is happening now. The frustration cannot be relieved by the fact that almost 30 years ago their favorite team won their fifth Super Bowl or that their favorite team has been in two Super Bowls in the last six years. Stop trying to dismiss frustration being shown on CZ. It is real and it is justified.

Sydla

Reaction score
Since the year 2000 the Cowboys have been the least successful team in the NFL when it comes to playoff success.

Cowboys have 4 playoff wins tying them for last with the Raiders and Jaguars,
The Raiders have been to a SB and the Jags to an AFC title game
Dallas hasn’t gotten out of a divisional round.

So yes if regular season wins, division titles and beating the Eagles is the goal, Dallas has been very successfu. If the barometer is playoff wins and the chance to advance then not so much.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-playoff-wins-since-2000
They know this. They know that playoff success and playoff runs and SB are the most important barometers but given they are homers, they struggle to admit this reality. So they look for other things the Cowboys have done well to elevate to show how good we are. Like regular season wins, or our overall success recently within the division or just our head to head with the Eagles. But at the end of the day, no one will care 5 years from now if the Cowboys swept the Eagles in 2024 but then lost in the first round of the playoffs again. Well, the homers will care because that's all they can cling too.

The irony in all of this is that the same homers touting regular season wins to hype how successful we are, will turn around and mock the Eagles as an inferior franchise because we have way more SB wins they they do. LOL.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
actually it was committing before the 2 tags THEN it was 4 years..funny thing could've been 6 years 2 years before they finally committed..i dont understand some fans need to give this FO a pass...they have a very specific MO. When your "Sold" on your QB you dont wait for the market to get bigger when they had an easy chance to sign him for a much friendlier deal before they waited. That was just horrible business by the front office...you dont wait..move on from him or extend him early..waiting kills your cap.
Wasn't the issue exacerbated by Zeke's hold out ....but it takes two to tango, Dak's not totally blameless, it looks as if he wants to keep hitting FA (and not face the chance to get traded).

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Wasn't the issue exacerbated by Zeke's hold out ....but it takes two to tango, Dak's not totally blameless, it looks as if he wants to keep hitting FA (and not face the chance to get traded).
for sure it does take 2 and Dak is not blameless...but now we are asking Dak to do what no player does..if thats your "Cap plan" as an FO your going to fail.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They chose to sit on their ***** and do nothing, now all the top FA have signed elsewhere.

They don't spend big in FA, they plug holes with 1 year contracts for $1M. You can also tell what positions they will draft by who they sign in FA. I would bet they sign OL, DE, RB and LB in FA in about a month.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Howie sucks at the cap. All he does is restructure everyone to the max and kick every penny into the future. Look at their contracts. Everyone has like a $1M base and a ton of dead money in void years after the contract is up.thats not skill or brains. He is a gambler. But he is also heartless and signs players with his head and not his heart and is the best trader in the league
lol. I love you man!

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
They eagles trade players, lowering their cap. The eagles restructure and kick the can down the road. It will eventually catch up, unless they continue to keep trading players away.
I've heard this for a good 15 years but it just never seems to catch up. I've never seen it catch up.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
for sure it does take 2 and Dak is not blameless...but now we are asking Dak to do what no player does..if thats your "Cap plan" as an FO your going to fail.
But the discussion was that Hurts helped the Eagles by taking a longer deal (and doesn't have the handcuff by demanding a NTC).

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
But the discussion was that Hurts helped the Eagles by taking a longer deal (and doesn't have the handcuff by demanding a NTC).
the Eagles wanted Hurts so they signed him to the longest contract they could for the least he would take, Hurts didnt "Give the Eagles a break" he got the deal he could get..The Cowboys would've been way better off signing Dak to a contract in 2019 but they chose to negotiate throught the media and tag him with "Prove it" years when they never had a plan B because the plan was alwyas Dak..thats a horrible strategy with the Franchise QB THEY picked...the Eagles didnt cause any of that with Hurts the negotiated as early as they could and not in the media and signed him.

Robster8989

Reaction score
That is actually a very good model to use if you believe the salary cap will continue to increase year after year.

The problem you run into is if the cap ever gets stagnant or declines a couple of seasons in a row, but outside of something like Covid happening again, the chances of league revenue declining is not very high.

Besides, if you can squeeze a couple of SBs out of this model before having to blow your roster up, isn't that worth it?

I mean, the results speak for themselves, Cowboys have not sniffed an NFCCG or SB in 28 years and Philly has been to 2 SBs (winning one) in the past 6 seasons. Either their model is vastly superior to our model, or they hire front office executives that are way smarter and more intelligent than Jerry and Cap Boy. Has to be one or the other, it is not just luck folks.
Well said.
The cap is flexible in the sense that you can do this, and open up cap space every year in this way.
Yes, it's kicking the can and yes, there will be a price to pay down the road in that there will be dead cap counting on the cap, but with the salary cap exploding for the foreseeable future it has become the way teams create space each year.
The Eagles will have dead cap (and they do), the key is to keep it manageable (and they have).
For example, if they know by doing this they will need to eat 10-15 mil of Lane Johnson's deal at some point when he retires or his play fades, that's easier to do when the cap is 300 mil, verses when the cap was 200 mil.
The Cowboys have been more frugal. In past years, they have played the game to keep their own players, but have chosen to not do it to sign outside players.
This year they chose neither (so far).
We could have kept all our guys (Armstrong, Tyler B, Gilmore, Tyron, Pollard etc) AND created enough space to sign some outside players at positions of need (Wagner, Reader etc). We chose not to, which to me, looks like a rebuild, and I get that given our performance in the playoffs.
But it looks like we are going to sign Dak now? That I don't understand.
Eitehr go all in or decide it's not happening with this team and rebuild. If they extend Dak at 60 mil (after letting good players leave on affordable deals that we could have matched), they are just showing us they are not committed to winning.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Well said.
The cap is flexible in the sense that you can do this, and open up cap space every year in this way.
Yes, it's kicking the can and yes, there will be a price to pay down the road in that there will be dead cap counting on the cap, but with the salary cap exploding for the foreseeable future it has become the way teams create space each year.
The Eagles will have dead cap (and they do), the key is to keep it manageable (and they have).
For example, if they know by doing this they will need to eat 10-15 mil of Lane Johnson's deal at some point when he retires or his play fades, that's easier to do when the cap is 300 mil, verses when the cap was 200 mil.
The Cowboys have been more frugal. In past years, they have played the game to keep their own players, but have chosen to not do it to sign outside players.
This year they chose neither (so far).
We could have kept all our guys (Armstrong, Tyler B, Gilmore, Tyron, Pollard etc) AND created enough space to sign some outside players at positions of need (Wagner, Reader etc). We chose not to, which to me, looks like a rebuild, and I get that given our performance in the playoffs.
But it looks like we are going to sign Dak now? That I don't understand.
Eitehr go all in or decide it's not happening with this team and rebuild. If they extend Dak at 60 mil (after letting good players leave on affordable deals that we could have matched), they are just showing us they are not committed to winning.
I would argue they have been showing us that for a while now.