How do they fix the run game

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My problem with the zeke.....er...critics (like Bob haze) is that we have a lot of dysfunction on this offense....regardless of PFF BS stats.

Run scheme, run play calling, and lack of real commitment to it (not just calling the plays....but practice and discipline (like holding calls on long runs)...are all severely problematic, IMHO of course.

If I observed those WEREN'T any issue, and zeke struggled....I'd have no problem calling for Zeke's demise. As long as I DO observe that...I'm not.

These same people calling for Zeke's head make all kinds of excuses for Dak....it's the blocking it's the limited passing scheme, it's dropped footballs, zeke is fat. Everyone and everything BUT Dak.

This is not a knock on Dak...but he does struggle just as much as everyone else. Assess him the same critical way.
LOL...Oooh, please blame Dak!

Hello??? 90% of this board rags/blames Dak!! What more do you want?
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

quickccc

Reaction score
JJ doesn't allow Scouting Department to hit the smaller schools, apparently.......and the offensive philosophy is suited for Big 12 football.
Can we have a FB or H Back sometimes? Run game has declined and been dismissed throughout KMoore's tenure.

Scouting responsibilities, Drafting evaluation and board value isn't up to Jerry.
That's Wil McClay's call and philosophy on relying more on big schools - especially in the early rounds of the NFL draft.

I've heard past interviews from McClay's scouts like Chris Hall, that only if it's a small college prospect that is graded so very highly on their draft board
that they feel they just cannot passed them up would they very likely consider it.

From the past McClay-related draft class years to this date, i cannot recall where there has been a Division II prospect drafted highly .

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You keep wanting to turn a football discussion into a feel fest. Zeke was second in the NFL in rushing and averaging 5.3 yards per carry before he got hurt and was on pace for over 1600 yards. Whether he has lost a step or that Pollard is quicker is immaterial to me. I'm about winning.. and Zeke plays winning football. WHEN the OC calls his number. The team wins 80% of its games when he gets it 20 times. He goes over 100 a similar percentage. This aint rocket surgery.. Kid's a good football player.. They need to use him as such and quit turning him into a 220 pound fullback. If they get another good football player to replace him then fine.. I will root for that player.. As long as Zeke is our back.. I'm 100% behind helping him be the best he can be.. and 10-12 carries a game 90% of which are right up the gut (where this no blocking more often than not) isn't doing that. I am firmly of the mind that this OC could have Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton as his backs and he would still throw it 70% of the time. Zeke aint the problem..
Ronnie, the reason Kellen Moore has abandoned the run is because this Oline no longer wins at the line of scrimmage. It struggles to open any running lanes, hardly pushes the opposing Dline back, plus this Oline's kept players are old while the interior is young but a bunch of Jags at C and LG. The Oline Coach stinks by making the wrong moves and not teaching this Oline to stay low, fire out, stay quick on its feet and drive. Fix this Oline, we will see our RBs perform much better which will also help our passing attack by keeping opposing Defenses honest.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Or get him someone to teach him.

Don't forget, this poor bastidge got his teaching from JG and Linehan. Doubt if anyone can run the ball learning from those rockbrains.
In Linehan's first year as OC the Cowboys had the number 1 rushing attack and Murray rushed for 1800 plus yards.

Moore's problem is he doesn't stick to the run. Ever. And by his own admission doesn't like running the ball sideways on pitches etc hence the runs up the middle we all LOVE SO MUCH! lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Will Zeke and Pollard be healthy next year? Also the OL could use some new faces. I’m just not sure how they can fix the run game in one offseason. I think they need a mid round RB and an early OL pick for starters. I also think Ceedee will have to transform into a monster WR next year.

The defense needs some help too so can they fix all this? I guess I would build in the trenches, but it seams to work better if there is an off-season theme like fix the run game or the defense. What would you do? I suppose I would go OL, DL, RB, LB.
An easier fix for OL would be to move Collins back to LG and Steele to RT. And I’d still bring in another mid round pick at RB.

And we should consider using some early picks for OL. Possibly Center or LT.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dallas ranked 12th in rushing attempts on the season, that number dropped mid season, Dallas was avg 168 a game rushing but again by mid season it fell and ending the season at 124 a game big drop off from early in the year, in large part because of penalties and break downs on OL. I don't think Moore opposes running the ball but will not stick with it if we are constantly behind the chains, especially when you do have 3 quality WR to turn to. I want to see Dallas do a better job of showing consistency running the ball but you have to be showing success running it.
:hammer::hammer:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think someone said it best (dont remeber who) like this "Kellen has a bunch of plays not a scheme" that really is true, look at what he calls and try and find the setup. He does not pass to set up runs nor does he run to set up passes..its a series of random plays that the players either make it or they dont. No attack point no scheme really.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL...Oooh, please blame Dak!

Hello??? 90% of this board rags/blames Dak!! What more do you want?
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
I was sincere when i said "not a knock on dak".

Are you saying dak never struggled? You are one of the guys I'm talking about. Instead of arguing my actual point, you make up a lie and argue that.

I didn't blamed dak for anything. I simply made a point that some people dont come to a conclusion using the same critical criteria.

But you're defending dak from me blaming him for everything. What the entire.....

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think someone said it best (dont remeber who) like this "Kellen has a bunch of plays not a scheme" that really is true, look at what he calls and try and find the setup. He does not pass to set up runs nor does he run to set up passes..its a series of random plays that the players either make it or they dont. No attack point no scheme really.
Very good point!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I was sincere when i said "not a knock on dak".

Are you saying dak never struggled? You are one of the guys I'm talking about. Instead of arguing my actual point, you make up a lie and argue that.

I didn't blamed dak for anything. I simply made a point that some people dont come to a conclusion using the same critical criteria.

But you're defending dak from me blaming him for everything. What the entire.....
I've said plenty of times Dak makes mistakes that he needs to fix and keep improving on, but I'm not going to put the majority of the blame on him when I truly don't feel he's a majority responsible. The Cowboys feel the same way because they see the same thing a few of us are seeing. Other bigger issues affecting Dak's performance, especially against better Defenses. Fix those issues, and we will all see a much better Dak against those better Defenses.

PS: I hate Dak's overpaid contract! Should not have been paid more than $30 mil/season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've said plenty of times Dak makes mistakes that he needs to fix and keep improving on, but I'm not going to put the majority of the blame on him when I truly don't feel he's a majority responsible. The Cowboys feel the same way because they see the same thing a few of us are seeing. Other bigger issues affecting Dak's performance, especially against better Defenses. Fix those issues, and we will all see a much better Dak against those better Defenses.

PS: I hate Dak's overpaid contract! Should not have been paid more than $30 mil/season.
My comment you so objected wasnt about dak. It was about ...us....and how we think.

If you have fairly cricized dak and zeke.....it wasnt about you either.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You were nice? You made up something i never said then put in a bunch of condescending mojies.
Hardly nice.
"These same people calling for Zeke's head make all kinds of excuses for Dak....it's the blocking it's the limited passing scheme, it's dropped footballs, zeke is fat. Everyone and everything BUT Dak."

What do you call that? ^^^^

Are you listening to what you type? Like I said, 90+% of this board today has ragged and blamed Dak for the way this season ended. You simply want everyone to do the same. Well, that's not realistic or fair. You have the overwhelming majority agreeing with you. Try being a little sympathetic to the 10% who don't agree with you.

kskboys

Reaction score
In Linehan's first year as OC the Cowboys had the number 1 rushing attack and Murray rushed for 1800 plus yards.

Moore's problem is he doesn't stick to the run. Ever. And by his own admission doesn't like running the ball sideways on pitches etc hence the runs up the middle we all LOVE SO MUCH! lol
Disagree. Moore's problem is he has no idea how to scheme for the run. Watch other teams run the ball. Their RB's do not get met in the backfield on over half the running plays. Our scheme for running the ball is trash.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wish the ones who turn a thread about the running game into a Dakfest would get a week or so off. Sure would help others to have a discussion.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Disagree. Moore's problem is he has no idea how to scheme for the run. Watch other teams run the ball. Their RB's do not get met in the backfield on over half the running plays. Our scheme for running the ball is trash.
Well that too. lol. To say that Linehan didnt know how to run the ball is kinda crazy though. Considering. Moore is a pass happy kid who is out of his depth as an OC. The league caught on to him midseason and he didnt adjust at all. That arrogance he learned from Jason Garrett.