How do they fix the run game

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all, they have to decide they want to be a run team and not just because they overpaid the RB.

Everything management has done is to accent the passing game from selecting this HC and OC, taking a WR in the 1st when they already had a WR1 that they had given up a 1st for and re-signing the QB to the second largest contract in the NFL. The Joneses want to be an offensive team, a passing offense team, not a run team.

What makes you think they want to be a run team? Do you really think this GM wants his 40M QB handing off 50% of the time?

How much time do you think the Cowboys spend at camp and practice having their WR's block as opposed to the Niners or even the Rams? Stars don't block. Stars have others block for them.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"These same people calling for Zeke's head make all kinds of excuses for Dak....it's the blocking it's the limited passing scheme, it's dropped footballs, zeke is fat. Everyone and everything BUT Dak."

What do you call that? ^^^^

Are you listening to what you type? Like I said, 90+% of this board today has ragged and blamed Dak for the way this season ended. You simply want everyone to do the same. Well, that's not realistic or fair. You have the overwhelming majority agreeing with you. Try being a little sympathetic to the 10% who don't agree with you.
Do you know how to read?
"These same people calling for Zeke's head make all kinds of excuses for Dak....it's the blocking it's the limited passing scheme, it's dropped footballs, zeke is fat. Everyone and everything BUT Dak."

I am saying other people say that. The point is people blame ONLY Zeke for HIS struggles....are some of the same people who look for any excuse to NOT blame Dak for his.

Once again...NOT ABOUT DAK! It's about fans here who uses different criteria for different players.

I could EASILY say the same about Dak...the people judge HIM unfairly too...but that wasn't the subject matter. We're trying to come up with ways to assess and fix the running game as the title said.

This is part of the problem....YOU made this an attack on Dak ...because of you far-winged bias. Was never about Dak AT ALL! STOP!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All fine. The real question is.....WHY. If you feel using the passing game will be most effective against a certain team by all means...get to it.

But if you have trouble running game after game (do we agree that is true?) something is very wrong. What? Zeke fat?

If you really wanna know what ....read ronnie.

Absolutely agree and it's not 1 thing. Multiple issues made running way less effective.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Get a coach(es) who can find the right pieces to fit the puzzle. Whether they're on the current roster, or just go shopping. Need someone with an eye for talent, mesh their strengths and create a bond like chemistry. Don't they get paid for doing things like this.

Hope the stable incumbents up their skills, craft and pride.

Prime21

Reaction score
Coaching is fine. We need a better LG and C, either by FA or draft. When the third round is over we should have new starters at both LG and C.

If all we do is upgrade those spots and get our physical run game identity back the offseason will be a success.

Big_D

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying stuff like this? Zeke averaged like 12 carries a game over the second half of the season. On what planet is this treating him like he "is an elite RB?" And maybe you can explain how his 5-6 carries a half getting 3-4 yards a pop are "killing them" any worse than 3-4 incomplete passes and a sack or two?

It’s the teams philosophy that they have a superstar RB and any backup or role player will clearly take a backseat to his greatness! There is absolutely no doubt that the GM feels this way. Even many on the forums. Your very argument suggests he needs more touches to “find his rhythm”. Some still make Emmitt Smith comparisons! lol he’s a guy with zero home run ability. None at all. Good RB.. sure. But way overvalued and overpaid and unfortunately that will continue to dictate useage but I’m sure 2022 will be different!

Even his “feed me” shtick is laughable at this point.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you know how to read?

I am saying other people say that. The point is people blame ONLY Zeke for HIS struggles....are some of the same people who look for any excuse to NOT blame Dak for his.

Once again...NOT ABOUT DAK! It's about fans here who uses different criteria for different players.

I could EASILY say the same about Dak...the people judge HIM unfairly too...but that wasn't the subject matter. We're trying to come up with ways to assess and fix the running game as the title said.

This is part of the problem....YOU made this an attack on Dak ...because of you far-winged bias. Was never about Dak AT ALL! STOP!
If it wasn't about Dak, why bring him up? You always bring Dak up. Clearly, Dak bothers you, if not, you would have never made him the scapegoat to deflect from Zeke. Zeke has his own problems, but it isn't Dak. What does ail both Zeke and Dak IS the Oline, hence why it affects the running and even the passing game. I hope you and everyone else starts realizing the biggest and main problem is this Oline. Fix this Oline, and everyone will see both Zeke, Dak and even our WRs perform much better, including our O-Coordinator.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I would get a new O-Line coach. He I think changed the scheme they use. Don’t seem to be a power blocking scheme anymore. Not sure what they are doing. Seeing 2 linemen on 1 rusher and leaves a huge gap for the backer to get through. Blows up the run and gets the backer in the back field quickly..
Dallas has had its best running game when they ran the zone blocking scheme. That scheme fits the type of guys Dallas has.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Very easy fix..........They need to draft a very powerful center to anchor that line like Frederick did because Biadasz isn't getting the job done problem solved.
Biadasz has got to be better at LG than Williams. Frederick had an anchor that I think will be hard to match. So I guess let’s see. Personally I prefer a smart Center and to maulers at og who can pull in the running

Cmac

Reaction score
Scouting responsibilities, Drafting evaluation and board value isn't up to Jerry.
That's Wil McClay's call and philosophy on relying more on big schools - especially in the early rounds of the NFL draft.

I've heard past interviews from McClay's scouts like Chris Hall, that only if it's a small college prospect that is graded so very highly on their draft board
that they feel they just cannot passed them up would they very likely consider it.

From the past McClay-related draft class years to this date, i cannot recall where there has been a Division II prospect drafted highly .
It is up to JJ.......he the Owner/GM and HC at times......it starts with JJ and Stephen........do something.

Reaction score
Can you blame them? With all the hype JJ gave about KM You would KM was the second coming and doesn't need help and that he knows everything... It didn't help any matters when JJ told MM (the day JJ hired him) that KM was going to be the one scheming and calling plays and not to interfere... This was all over the sports shows and news. MM and Philbin just did what they were told by the boss....

I had not heard that,,, typical Jerry. When it all goes to hell and the fans demand blood he'll scapegoat McCarthy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it wasn't about Dak, why bring him up? You always bring Dak up. Clearly, Dak bothers you, if not, you would have never made him the scapegoat to deflect from Zeke. Zeke has his own problems, but it isn't Dak. What does ail both Zeke and Dak IS the Oline, hence why it affects the running and even the passing game. I hope you and everyone else starts realizing the biggest and main problem is this Oline. Fix this Oline, and everyone will see both Zeke, Dak and even our WRs perform much better, including our O-Coordinator.
You keep lumping in with people I don't agree with.

I, unfortunately...picked a guy that RANKLES YOUR FEATHERS HARD.
I was using the STATEMENTS of people ....NOT *MY* personal assessment of Dak.

HArd to believe i can't get this through your thick skull. But you have lost your mind about Dak. You interpret everything people say as "Dak Hate".

Simply an idiotic way to make your way through this board.

You have a good night....I can't make it any more clear my intent but you will maintain your false STUBBORN perception born of your need to defend Dak at any cost even if you have to make up a crisis about it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You keep wanting to turn a football discussion into a feel fest. Zeke was second in the NFL in rushing and averaging 5.3 yards per carry before he got hurt and was on pace for over 1600 yards. Whether he has lost a step or that Pollard is quicker is immaterial to me. I'm about winning.. and Zeke plays winning football. WHEN the OC calls his number. The team wins 80% of its games when he gets it 20 times. He goes over 100 a similar percentage. This aint rocket surgery.. Kid's a good football player.. They need to use him as such and quit turning him into a 220 pound fullback. If they get another good football player to replace him then fine.. I will root for that player.. As long as Zeke is our back.. I'm 100% behind helping him be the best he can be.. and 10-12 carries a game 90% of which are right up the gut (where this no blocking more often than not) isn't doing that. I am firmly of the mind that this OC could have Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton as his backs and he would still throw it 70% of the time. Zeke aint the problem..

Zeke with a lost step is still a damn good running back. Just how much chance is there that the Cowboys get a rookie that is close to Zeke's abilities THIS YEAR "in the third or fourth round". He won't know the offense, won't know the blocking schemes, probably won't be as good a blitz pickup back as Zeke (since few running backs are as good as Zeke) and as we saw with Barkley, even a top running back can get injured early in his career.

Makes no sense to release Zeke and take a gigantic cap hit. The o-line wasn't very good last year, people act like it's all Zeke's fault because Pollard had a few good runs as a part time back. We saw with Marion Barber what happens when a part time back becomes a full time starter, doesn't always happen but have to bear that in mind, being the bell cow back and having defenses focus on stopping you before anybody else can be much different than being in the game off and on.

Yes I know I'll get blasted by all the posters who will laud Pollard to the skies. I like Pollard, he is also a very good back, based on what we've seen so far.

Just saying that if Zeke leaves and the running game isn't any or much better, don't start blaming the o-line or the coaches. I want to hear "Pollard has lost a step, he's washed up, he's not good enough, he's fat, he only cares about the money", etc. etc. etc.

Also not saying I might not be wrong, but the constant putting down of a Cowboys player who busts his behind to get the tough yards, does the dirty work of blocking and plays hurt is nauseating if nothing else...

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
This is about Dak… This is about Zeke and this is about Kellen Moore... 2 of (what I believe are) overpaid players and an OC that doesn't know how to use them. This is also about The Joneses (as they are the final say in who does and doesn't get drafted/signed). I don't care what others think, unlike elite Quarterbacks (which (contrary to popular belief) Dak is not), Dak has to have (just about) top tier talent on the O'line or he collapses. He doesn't know how to handle pressure. Romo was the same way... The Joneses want to go dumpster diving for the front line instead of getting reputable people that know how to control the defensive line and in turn Dak is running for his life. Kellen Moore doesn't know how to make the best with what he has.. Someone made a comment about seeing a post about someone saying Kellen draws plays, not schemes... I know I was one of the ones that have said that many times and I wholeheartedly believe that to be true. And last but not least, Zeke needs to read the defensive line better and has to make better decisions on whether or not to run up the gut every time you turn around because defenses are on to his game from looking at tape...

glimmerman

Reaction score
Let it be known i LIKE Tony Pollard. I am just not convinced he can get beat up like we have demanded of Zeke.

I agree about drafting a replacement RB. Fine. But you better dam well fix the o line and commit to a real running game like NFL teams especially NFC East...are SUPPOSED to do.
5th round rb. I didnt see any flash from any backup we have besides Pollard. I want a trench draft..

glimmerman

Reaction score
First of all, they have to decide they want to be a run team and not just because they overpaid the RB.

Everything management has done is to accent the passing game from selecting this HC and OC, taking a WR in the 1st when they already had a WR1 that they had given up a 1st for and re-signing the QB to the second largest contract in the NFL. The Joneses want to be an offensive team, a passing offense team, not a run team.

What makes you think they want to be a run team? Do you really think this GM wants his 40M QB handing off 50% of the time?

How much time do you think the Cowboys spend at camp and practice having their WR's block as opposed to the Niners or even the Rams? Stars don't block. Stars have others block for them.
When you run the ball well you can be a great passing team.. JJ thinks it’s one or the other..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You keep lumping in with people I don't agree with.

I, unfortunately...picked a guy that RANKLES YOUR FEATHERS HARD.
I was using the STATEMENTS of people ....NOT *MY* personal assessment of Dak.

HArd to believe i can't get this through your thick skull. But you have lost your mind about Dak. You interpret everything people say as "Dak Hate".

Simply an idiotic way to make your way through this board.

You have a good night....I can't make it any more clear my intent but you will maintain your false STUBBORN perception born of your need to defend Dak at any cost even if you have to make up a crisis about it.
"...you will maintain your false STUBBORN perception born of your need to defend Dak at any cost even if you have to make up a crisis about it."

Like I said, you just can't let go of Dak. Triggered when called out for it. Good luck getting rid of that Dak hate.

Good morning by the way. Have a good one.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
When you run the ball well you can be a great passing team.. JJ thinks it’s one or the other..

I dont agree with this and here's why. JJ has paid over 300 million in salary to the offensive line.. He had paid $90 million to his running back and $160 million to his QB an $100 million to his top wide receiver. How he spends his money tells me he believes you need to be good at all of the above. The disconnect is with his OC.. who doesn't care anything about running the ball and who doesn't bother to analyze his blocking schemes for the myriad of flaw that good defense expose in them. I don't think the offensive line players are anywhere near as bad as this scheme is making them look. Even Connor Williams was never this bad before Philbin and Moore teamed up. Hell he was less of a liability a rookie than he is now.. That's coaching man. Same with the refusal to use Pollard more and be creative about it. As much as fans want him to become the lead dog at RB I believe his true value is in that Deebo Samuel role.. doing a little bit of everything.. forcing the defense to locate him every snap, stressing the edges while not asking him to take on 255-275 pound people with a head of steam about to take the QB's head off.