How Do We Move the Ball Against Pittsburgh?

Everson24

Reaction score
I've watched every Steelers game this year and let me tell you their defense is for real and it seems to be getting better every week. They remind me of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens somewhat in the fact that they shut down a teams running game and force them to become one dimensional and then send all their exotic blitz packages at the opposing QB. They put a ton of pressure on the O line, RB's and TE's who are often left to block Harrison and Woodley one on one.

I see us trying to establish the run early to no avail and Garrett giving up on it completly in the second half. This will play right into the Steelers hands and it could be a feeding frenzy for their defense.

Anyone have any suggestions that will make me more confident in our ability to move the ball consistently?

links18

Reaction score
We Run it and then pass it. After that, we run it and pass it some more. ;)

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Let them try to match up with Owens, Williams, Witten, Bennett, and Crayton. It can't be done. If Romo has/buys time, the Cowboys will put points on the board.

Nav22

Reaction score
We let our stud QB amaze us for yet another week.

I can already envision James Harrison pounding the Heinz Field turf in frustration after his 5th "near" sack.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2450314 said:
Let them try to match up with Owens, Williams, Witten, Bennett, and Crayton. It can't be done. If Romo has/buys time, the Cowboys will put points on the board.

Well I have two problems with this.

#1 Marion Barber is not healthy

#2 Field conditions are going to come into play. Sloppy field favors the running game which basically slows the field and eliminates or reduces the threat of Owens, Williams, Witten, Bennett and Crayton. Also favors a physical team. Edge goes to Pittsburgh.

What I'm seeing from people on this board is the exact thing that got this team into trouble in the first place. I think everyone is a little to sure of themselves right now. I sure hope the Cowboys don't feel the same way.

stiletto

Reaction score
Screen passes to soften up their D....run then play action.

Nav22

Reaction score
How they going to move the ball against us?
Very good point. Big Ben has been very average all year.

It will most likely end up being a field position battle. One of those games where you almost KNOW the turnover differential will determine the outcome.

The Panch

Reaction score
I think short intermediate passes are the key. Garrett and Romo cant get greedy and start thinking big play every time he drops back cause this defense will violate him. We're gonna have to put ourselves in alot of 2 & 4 situation thru the air on 1st down.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We don't depend on the run anyway. You aren't going to run on them a lot most likely. If anyone can then we should be able to. Not having Felix hurts some but we'll manage. I think they are likely more worried about us than the other way around even though I suspect we have a lot of respect for them.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
we'll look at their games against, philly, new york, indianapolis, and especially their upcoming game against new england.

keys seem to be shutting down their passing games effectiveness, as well as not turning the ball over on offense. none of the teams that beat them really ran on them, they just didnt turn the ball over. Score enough points to put their offense behind. Force them to give up on the run, and pass the ball all day, and its gameover for big ben.

They don't have an especially good offense. If the defense plays like it has been we should have no problem winning this game, i think its going to rely more on our offensive line.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Galian Beast;2450341 said:
we'll look at their games against, philly, new york, indianapolis, and especially their upcoming game against new england.

keys seem to be shutting down their passing games effectiveness, as well as not turning the ball over on offense. none of the teams that beat them really ran on them, they just didnt turn the ball over. Score enough points to put their offense behind. Force them to give up on the run, and pass the ball all day, and its gameover for big ben.

They don't have an especially good offense. If the defense plays like it has been we should have no problem winning this game, i think its going to rely more on our offensive line.

Good post. Ben can be dangerous but just hasn't this year as much. Partly injury. Partly OL problems. He's still dangerous. I still say we win by ten if we don't make too many mistakes.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think we establish the short passing game to get the run going which will then set up the deep passing game. If our OL does the job in blitz pickup, we can have our way with their secondary.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
This is the reason why I will be glued to the TV for the Steelers vs. Pats matchup this weekend.

IMO, when healthy and on his game, Romo can make a blitzing team pay dearly. Let's not forget that we face a blitz happy Philly and Giants team a total of 4 times a year (playoffs excluded), and they throw some pretty exotic stuff at us.

Bottom line is that Romo must make the blitzing defense pay, and pay dearly. Has Pittsburgh faced an offense with so many weapons this year? They can't cover everybody, and they'd better hope that gambling and blitzing Romo pays off. If Romo makes them pay, Pitt won't stand a chance. It will come down to the oline's ability to know who to block and when, and they have 10 days to get schooled.

If Romo stays clean, we could win and win big.

BHendri5

Reaction score
we beat them like the Colts beat them. They threw the ball down the field, and throwing the ball down the field is our specialty

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
BigDFan5;2450357 said:
I would put Tony Romo on the field and say "have fun"

I agree. This team lives and dies by what Romo can do w/ the time he is given. He is one of the best in the league and we should trust him against even the best defenses. The Steelers have a great defense, but we have a great QB w/ outstanding weapons.

The Panch

Reaction score
BHendri5;2450380 said:
we beat them like the Colts beat them. They threw the ball down the field, and throwing the ball down the field is our specialty
Yeah, but throwing balls that should've been intercepted but turn into touchdowns or big gains isnt something to bank on.

Deefens

Reaction score
The question is, how do the Steelers stop our offense from moving the ball.