How Do We Move the Ball Against Pittsburgh?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
The Panch;2450391 said:
Yeah, but throwing balls that should've been intercepted but turn into touchdowns or big gains isnt something to bank on.

I didn't watch that game, and I haven't watched the Colts much this year. I do know that Manning has had a tough year, and hasn't always played his best. Give Romo some credit, it isn't like we're trotting Brad Johnson out there.

mmohican29

Reaction score
to move the football vs the Steelers: Begin with the intermediate passing game attack to put their D on their heels. Sprinkle in Draws to Barber and Choice. Use the TE's in the seam and on waggles to the sidelines. Run intermediate comebacks and short crosses to RWilliams11 when Safety's cheat towards the middle of the field to contain Witten. Toss sweeps to Barber here and again. Comebacks to TO. Play Action deep to TO when the Steelers think we're playing conservative.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
Everson24;2450288 said:
I've watched every Steelers game this year and let me tell you their defense is for real and it seems to be getting better every week. They remind me of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens somewhat in the fact that they shut down a teams running game and force them to become one dimensional and then send all their exotic blitz packages at the opposing QB. They put a ton of pressure on the O line, RB's and TE's who are often left to block Harrison and Woodley one on one.

I see us trying to establish the run early to no avail and Garrett giving up on it completly in the second half. This will play right into the Steelers hands and it could be a feeding frenzy for their defense.

Anyone have any suggestions that will make me more confident in our ability to move the ball consistently?

Please dont compare the Steeler D to the 2000 Ravens. Just say they are good. They are in no way close to the 2000 Ravens. When you say stuff like that it stops me from reading the rest of the post.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Our defense is going to have to help our offense in this one. Especially on a field that we know will be terrible. That means, many three and outs and keep taking away the ball like they've been doing the past 3 weeks. We need to add on the 8 takeways since the bye stat for our defense.

I do agree that if the oline plays well and Romo has time. We have a great chance to walk out of Heinz with a victory because as good as their front 7 is, their secondary is NOT that good. Safeties are good no doubt. But the corners? Eh.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
This is the game that I would love to see us come out with a hurry up offense and empty backfield. Romo has been hot, lets keep it going.

DALLAS D

Reaction score
Or better yet, how does Ben move the ball on us...he can only hope to be on his feet more than on his back..

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I see our WRs winning some one-on-one matchups on the sidelines. When they send a bunch of people, keep the ball away from Polamalu, call some sideline routes, and let our big WRs win those battles. Their corners aren't that good -- they almost totally depend on pressure up front.

But I like BigD's answer. Just let Romo do his thing. If we're picking up their blitzes, Romo can beat them just like he can beat anyone.

And you know, if they lose to NE Sunday -- and there's a good chance they will -- their record won't be any better than ours.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2450319 said:
Well I have two problems with this.

#1 Marion Barber is not healthy

#2 Field conditions are going to come into play. Sloppy field favors the running game which basically slows the field and eliminates or reduces the threat of Owens, Williams, Witten, Bennett and Crayton. Also favors a physical team. Edge goes to Pittsburgh.

What I'm seeing from people on this board is the exact thing that got this team into trouble in the first place.
I think everyone is a little to sure of themselves right now. I sure hope the Cowboys don't feel the same way.

I agree. We're all drinking the KoolAid following two wins coming from teams who have won a combined 5 games.

The Steelers D is nasty. We need balance in this game. Polomalu may be the only safety in the league who can man up with Witten and get dominated. Their pass rush is nasty, and their run defense is always stellar.

We need a balanced gameplan and to keep them guessing. Garrett better not try to get too cute. This is going to be a physical smashmouth game. I have confidence that we can pull out the win though.

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2450357 said:
I would put Tony Romo on the field and say "have fun"

a big +1

Romo needs to be smart with the ball of course, but his escapability can change their "great" defense into a toasted defense. Hopefully Flozell and company will put in their best efforts next Sunday,,,

Mansta54

Reaction score
We do what we do best and that's throw the ball. We're built to throw and have all the weapons to do so, starting with a amazing QB. Our recieving unit is 2nd to none in the league and our oline is BIG STRONG and PHYSICAL which combined with Romo sliding in the pocket buying time will enable us to score points and move the ball.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Another thing we are going to have to do if we are going to move the ball on Pitt, is be better on 3rd downs. We were only 2 of 9 on 3rd down conversions.

Please cut back on the toss running plays, please.

Reaction score
Spread them out and rip that secondary a part... That will create running lanes for MBIII and Choice and possibly Coleman.

Everson24

Reaction score
Eskimo;2450367 said:
I think we establish the short passing game to get the run going which will then set up the deep passing game. If our OL does the job in blitz pickup, we can have our way with their secondary.

One of my concerns is that we dont seem to have the patience to stick to a short passing game. Most of our routes take time to open up. Unless we drastically change our offense, I can see the Steelers getting tons of pressure on Romo (think 4th quarter of the playoff game against the Giants).

Another thing the Steelers do well is fill the center of the pocket with a blitzing LB. This keeps the QB from stepping up into the pocket. This is another reason that Harrison and Woodley have so many sacks. The QB is backing up instead of stepping up. The plays where Romo buys time by moving into a vacated area of the line are just not going to be there this game. TO is going to have to get open quickly.

If there is a game when Romo is to imitate Tom Brady this is it. He must make the read very quickly and get the ball out of his hands before the pressure can get there.

One thing I know for sure is that the Pittsburgh defense will be extremely jacked up for this game.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As cliche as it sounds, we are very capable of beating Pitt. We have to however, avoid turnovers and avoid PENALTIES. If we play a good clean mistake free game, it should be there for us at the end. We can't afford to go to Pitt and make foolish offside penalties etc. Limit the penalties and turnovers, we can certainly win this game as I do believe we are the better team when we are at our best.

Everson24

Reaction score
dozin@theknick;2450411 said:
Please dont compare the Steeler D to the 2000 Ravens. Just say they are good. They are in no way close to the 2000 Ravens. When you say stuff like that it stops me from reading the rest of the post.

I said "somewhat in the fact that they make you one dimensional". I dont think they are as physical as the 2000 Ravens but they are on pace to do somthing that hasn't been done since the 1991 Eagles and that is lead the league in rushing D, Passing D and Overall D.

Any one here remembers that 91 Eagles defense? They probably would have won the Super Bowl that year had Randall Cunningham not torn his ACL. They had a backup QB situation even worse than ours this year.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
The Steelers can get after the passer. But so can Dallas (and with the addition of seven on T-Day, The 'Boys currently lead the league with 40 QB traps).

Romo has the banged up pinky. Roethlisberger has the banged up shoulder.
Dallas has endured 18 sacks (Brad Johnson, hello!). Pittsburgh? Try... yowza!... 35.

And the Cowboys appear to be... gasp!... peaking heading into December.

I kinda like Dallas' chances heading into December. In other words, I haven't learned a thing these last few years.

Now, let's see if they can actually gain some traction next month. Wouldn't THAT be encouraging?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2450325 said:
How they going to move the ball against us?

We suddenly have a "shutdown" defense after whipping a couple of pansies in SF and Seattle?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Alexander;2450608 said:
We suddenly have a "shutdown" defense after whipping a couple of pansies in SF and Seattle?
Pitt's offense hasn't been much better than our last 3 opponents.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Alexander;2450608 said:

I wouldn't go that far, but the defense has really played well in 4 out of the last 5 games, going back to the Tampa game.