How Do We Move the Ball Against Pittsburgh?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeSportStar80;2450540 said:
Spread them out and rip that secondary a part... That will create running lanes for MBIII and Choice and possibly Coleman.

That makes the most sense...

Anyone remember the last time the Steeler's defense was considered this dominant-- and what did teams like the Jets and Bengals do to beat it?

The spread-out the field-- a lot of 3 & 4 receiver sets.

The weakness of the Steeler defense is at the corner position. Plus when you spread-out their defense you suddenly reduce the number of blitzes they can run. You do what opponents have done to the Cowboy defense from time to time-- make Ware, Ellis & Spencer have to cover.

newlander

Reaction score
If the weather and our oline hold up I like our chances. If either is bad, I don't. It's that simple. Over/under for us to win is 20 Pts. IMO. (They won't score more than 20 against our 'd.)

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The big, bad Steelers are 2-3 vs. teams with winning records. They beat Balt(barely at home) and Wash and lost to Phil, NYG, and Indy. Their other 6 victories came against Cinci twice, Clev, Jax, Houston, and SD(barely).

The only reason SD lost at Pgh was because Rivers and Norv Turner are clueless. 1-1/2 minutes left in the 1st half, SD has a first down in the red zone around the 15 yd line with something like a 7-2 lead. Any idiot knows you just run the ball on 1st down and take some time off the clock or make Pgh use their TO. But, no, SD throws an INT and Pgh gets a last second FG to close the gap and gain the momentum. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The big, bad Steelers play in the weakest division year in year out.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For all the talk of the Steelers great defense, they have lost 3 games, two of them at home. They are beatable if the Cowboys show up and execute.

Eskimo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2450613 said:
That makes the most sense...

Anyone remember the last time the Steeler's defense was considered this dominant-- and what did teams like the Jets and Bengals do to beat it?

The spread-out the field-- a lot of 3 & 4 receiver sets.

The weakness of the Steeler defense is at the corner position. Plus when you spread-out their defense you suddenly reduce the number of blitzes they can run. You do what opponents have done to the Cowboy defense from time to time-- make Ware, Ellis & Spencer have to cover.

The only thing I would say about spreading out the field is that we should do it with 2-TE and 2-WR sets. Witten and Bennett are athletic enough to pose matchup nightmares with LBs and safeties. This forces the Steelers to stay big and gives us more flexibility in protection schemes.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Eskimo;2451397 said:
The only thing I would say about spreading out the field is that we should do it with 2-TE and 2-WR sets. Witten and Bennett are athletic enough to pose matchup nightmares with LBs and safeties. This forces the Steelers to stay big and gives us more flexibility in protection schemes.

But will a 2 TE set be effective in stopping the blitzers. 4 WRs automatically puts more opponents in the secondary instead of at the line of scrimmage. Not sure a 2 TE set does that.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2451429 said:
But will a 2 TE set be effective in stopping the blitzers. 4 WRs automatically puts more opponents in the secondary instead of at the line of scrimmage. Not sure a 2 TE set does that.

Are Crayton and Stanbeck bigger threats than Witten and Bennett?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Everson24;2450288 said:
I've watched every Steelers game this year and let me tell you their defense is for real and it seems to be getting better every week. They remind me of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens somewhat in the fact that they shut down a teams running game and force them to become one dimensional and then send all their exotic blitz packages at the opposing QB. They put a ton of pressure on the O line, RB's and TE's who are often left to block Harrison and Woodley one on one.

I see us trying to establish the run early to no avail and Garrett giving up on it completly in the second half. This will play right into the Steelers hands and it could be a feeding frenzy for their defense.

Anyone have any suggestions that will make me more confident in our ability to move the ball consistently?

We'll probably pass to setup the run against them. There's no way they cover RW11, Witten, Bennett!, Crayton, & TO all at the same time. It's just not possible. Choice will make a huge statement when they give him the ball next weekend.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score

I think you need to do that at times. It causes other mismatches. Come out with 2 te's and spread them out a few times. Later do the same thing and see if it changes their substitutions and run on them.

I think Bennett's play of late brings a new dimension to this offense that any OC can take advantage of.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Eskimo;2451523 said:
Are Crayton and Stanbeck bigger threats than Witten and Bennett?

I was referring to the alignment and the personnel it forces on the field for the Steelers defense. Of course Witten and Bennett are bigger threats.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2451546 said:
I was referring to the alignment and the personnel it forces on the field for the Steelers defense. Of course Witten and Bennett are bigger threats.

But Witten and Bennett force a different thought process. They are bigger receiving threats than Crayton/Stanbeck, but can also mash in the running game. It forces Pittsburgh to stay big and creates mismatches in the passing game whenever we decide to split them out. Alternatively, we can bring them in to max protect against a blitz and take a shot downfield to either TO or RW11 - whoever gets singled up on the blitz.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I honestly can't remember any team having two TEs as complete as Bennett and Witten. The mismatches these guys will create over the years will make a genius out of Garrett.

Everson24

Reaction score

Spreading them out with WR's is what the Patriots have done over the years to neutralize their blitz packages and get their safeties into man on man situations. If we use TE's instead they better be able to get open quick aginst their talented LB's.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Everson24;2451604 said:
Spreading them out with WR's is what the Patriots have done over the years to neutralize their blitz packages and get their safeties into man on man situations. If we use TE's instead they better be able to get open quick aginst their talented LB's.

Witten and Bennett should eat any of their LBs lunch in a 1-on-1 situation.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Garrett is going to come out winging it all over the field. I think the Cowboys will go right after them through the air, and they will not stop. Garrett will put the ball in Romo's hand and dare them to stop him. If the weather permits, Romo will torch them.

juck

Reaction score
Watch Belicheck tommorow,he will basically abandon the run and spread 5 wide and dink n dunk, then the disguised blitz becomes ineffective.