1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

How do we not look at Logan Ryan for the Safety position?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AKATheRake, Aug 10, 2020.

1. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

22,351 Messages
    24,577 Likes Received
    Salary cap is always an issue.

luckyman76, Jake and Bullflop like this.
  2. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

20,724 Messages
    17,258 Likes Received
    I wasn't really aware of him. I wonder why other teams haven't signed him yet? Looking at his stats it's amazing he didn't make the Pro Bowl last year. He also had 4.5 sacks and 18 passes defended on top of the other stats you mentioned.

It may be his asking price, or it may be that teams are a little reluctant with the current uncertainty of the season hanging over their heads.

3. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

17,695 Messages
    21,608 Likes Received
    So true -- Stephen isn't likely to sign off on an outlay of $10 mil when we're already in poor cap shape. He'll just walk away! ;)

4. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    No it’s actually not. And it never has been for this franchise. We always manipulated it

5. Whirlwin

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    Actually it’s never was with this franchise my cowboy brother. Tell me one player we didn’t go after that we Wanted. I can’t remember any because of the.

6. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

7,967 Messages
    5,268 Likes Received
    Pretty glad they didn't sign Earl Thomas last year. I've been catching the string of Ravens games they've been replaying on NFL network and that guy is either out of position or just getting burned. He's invisible most of the time. I think father time has caught up to ol' Earl.

7. Whirlwin

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    I totally disagree. If he wanted the player he would get the player. It’s the fans that make it about the money

8. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

20,724 Messages
    17,258 Likes Received
    I think what you may not be considering is that while it's true we have manipulated things at times, that doesn't mean it can always be done, or that it is always desirable, or that the ability to do it is unlimited.

KeepinTime and Whirlwin like this.
  9. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

22,351 Messages
    24,577 Likes Received
    Yes, it is, and has been several times. Having to manipulate the cap actually proves my point. If it wasn't an issue, we wouldn't have to manipulate it.

10. Whirlwin

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    I agree. It can’t always be done. But again we’ve never had an issue. When we wanted to get it done. That’s the only point I’m making

11. Whirlwin

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    Tell me one player the franchise didn’t go after because of the salary cap. Not the fans the franchise

12. Whirlwin

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    Yes we manipulate the For what we want. Which means we never want.

13. Whirlwin

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    I’m not talking opinion I’m making an actual factual statement. This franchise has never not signed a player that they wanted.

14. Whirlwin

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    If we want to go get the best safety in the league we would go and do it. Just like Prescott if you want to give him a zillion dollars we would do it. Salary cap is nothing other than a discussion point for the fans. Franchises always find away. What do you think they employ dozens of mathematics, Accountants.

15. Whirlwin

10,837 Messages
    6,397 Likes Received
    Anyways be good be safe my cowboy family .Can’t wait for football

16. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

20,724 Messages
    17,258 Likes Received
    I don't know that we can say we've never had an issue because we wouldn't necessarily even know if there are situations where we choose not to pursue a player we would like to have because of cap concerns. For example, if salary cap is a concern with Logan Ryan there won't be a press conference saying so, the team just won't pursue him, and the fans will never know salary cap was the reason.

kskboys likes this.
  17. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

17,695 Messages
    21,608 Likes Received
    I heard you the first time, sir -- that may have been true with Jerry but with Stephen, as soon as he hears the amount, it's over. There's a world of a big difference between those two. One will spend like there's no tomorrow and with the other, tomorrow's already here if he doesn't like the amount.

18. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

5,514 Messages
    1,604 Likes Received
    Who is making anything up and who is saying he is willing to cut his asking price in half?

Also, where does it say he won't play for anything less than $10 million per season as a safety?

I am only suggesting we take a look at the option. From there you see if there is a possible contract opportunity, if there is a possible fit within our team.

19. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

20,724 Messages
    17,258 Likes Received
    How would anyone know if the team doesn't go after a player because of salary cap concerns? The Cowboys (or any team) don't call press conferences to talk about players they don't pursue, or to announce why they don't pursue certain free agents. Obviosuly the Cowboys would like to have every elite free agent that becomes available if it is an upgrade, but just as obviously the salary cap prohibits that.

kskboys likes this.
  20. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

12,737 Messages
    5,705 Likes Received
    I read somewhere the griffen has mental issues....if drinking or mental issues are true, that explains why he is on the market.

I wonder same thing about logan. if he is that good, then somebody would sign him. I mean Byron Jones got a deal.....so what's with Logan? what's the issue?