How do you feel about this defensive line?

JPostSam

Reaction score
the interior is actually going to be a strength, with lots of young and quick guys. it's the outside that looks a shambles right now.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I am more worried about the DB's and the MLB position right now.

YR

Reaction score
I am very disappointed about the Lawrence injury. I thought that his fresh legs and natural athleticism and pass rushing talent would make for a great rotation with Mincey. Now, I really dont know who rotates with Mincey at WDE (at least for first 6 weeks of season). Wilson, Rayford, etc. do not have the talent Lawrence does. Maybe Spencer gets a shot, if miraculously, he's ready. Or Selvie moves over. No matter, none of them are as athletic in bending the edge as I believe Lawrence was going to be. [CAVEAT: Boise State homer here, but I've watched the kid play in person every home game, and on TV every other]

scottsp

Reaction score
Before any injuries came down, this unit was forgettable. I'm just hoping we have a solid scouting report on all forklift drivers and insurance agents in the area. Prolly gonna come in handy.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I just keep telling myself it's a better DL than last year. Definitely better in terms of depth and guys being able to play multiple spots. I know it's crazy early but i'm really excited about Davon Coleman.

I think the unit shakes out more like this...

DE - Selvie | Wilson or Wilber | *Lawrence (R)
DT - Melton | Bass | Coleman (R)
DT - McClain | Hayden or/and Bishop
DE - Crawford | Spencer

Ben Gardener and Dartwn Bush on PS

Okoye and Brent are wild cards.

Mincey is my surprise cut unless Spencer cannot go. Hayden might get beat out buy Bishop or Brent.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RE: Mincey
DT: Hayden
DT: Melton
LE: Selvie

I think in a Marinelli scheme, the better question is always how do we feel about the top 8 instead of the top 4.

I'm fine with those 4 if they play 50% of the snaps. I hate those 4 if they play 90% of the snaps.

It's really about the 2nd wave of DL that's going to make or break it.

Crawford and McClain are going to play a lot. Maybe more than some of the 4 listed.

They really need one more guy to show up a DE between game 1 and when Lawrence comes back. I see one spot for Wilson, Rayford, Bush or Gardner.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
We really need a pass rushing DE to step up. I don't care if it's Wilson, Bush or whoever.

The interior of the DL looks good. I like Melton/McClain a whooolleee lot better than Hatcher/Hayden. It's the DEs that I'm worried about.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
Babe had a short piece on 103.5 and he said the defense has looked bad and the offense will need to score 30 points a game.

cmoney23

Reaction score
jim-carrey-puking-o.gif

POST. OF. THE. YEAR.

Heck, maybe ever!! that was exactly my reaction!

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
From the looks of whats going on we may see another 17 guys on this dl.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I feel that will not end being our starting DL much less representative of the rotation that we all know is going to be used.

If you want to list the defensive line and not include Crawford, McClain, Coleman, Bishop and Bass then you are simply carrying on with sensationalism.

Lawrence is hurt and projected to come back as early as week 3. He is not dead. If we can use Spencer as a situational pass rusher for a couple dozen snaps then I think we will be good shape.

Why wallow in misery and worry? Why try to exacerbate and glory in it?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Starting out, the plan was to start Mincey on the outside weakside, and work Lawrence into a support role. He has some education coming his way as to intensity in the real show. I'm not put off with having him sit out some, and study the goings on until about October. That would keep him on schedule for a potential starter in his first season, with a 2nd/1st round pedigree.

I'm alright with watching this group work from being a no-name group, and measure by how much heart they show.

Funny how things stick when growing up as a youth. I was taught that one can be a lowly trashman, as long as he was both clean and the best at the simple task that he could be. That applies to a defensive line that answers the call to battle but after making it onto a roster at the NFL levels. First, that is a degree of accomplishment and not a fine line of all time greatness. Teams are made up of many 'Joes' that play great as a team.

The rotation part will be kept alive by a strong group that keep the front line fresh...Crawford, Spencer, Coleman and Bishop.

It appears that the starters going in, are Selvie, Melton, McClain, and Mincey.

Starting out, that should prove at least workable. Before mid season, if that is reinforced with Lawrence and Spencer, the make up of the defensive side could grow with the season as well.

I see Okoye and Bass as wildcards at present...but this group is worth watching grow.