How do you propose we fix the offensive line and entire defense if Dak gets paid?

fivetwos

Reaction score
No one wants to hear ot because people love fantasy numbers...

But in two years....you let Cooper and Elliott go...

Smith can be cut by then, maybe Lawrence as well.

They have these guys guaranteed years and we are stuck w them.

NOT that guys like Cooper arent performing, but that money clearly need to be allocated to defense.

They can be ok by 2023 if they draft well.....and of course they tell themselves they do even though the 3rd and 4th rounders cant dress on the worst defense in history.

So...there you are. Probably not winning for quite some time. At least dont expect to.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Byron would have gotten paid, because he might not have got many picks... but they also didn't throw his way much either. Hell of a lot better than what we have going...

Doesn't matter anyway... These players have the mental capacity of a goldfish.

I would take Byron over all
Those guys in a heartbeat. Major mistake letting him walk but resigning those clowns.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We have this overlapping issue it seems where we wasted the prime of our offensive line with Dak, including the previous group of receivers that got tossed out as well because of Romo's situation.

Now we have all the young talented receivers you could ask for but in this time the oline has fallen apart and the defense has a bunch of brandon carrs at literally every position.

We know what Dak cant do with lesser receivers, we know what Dak still cant do with great receivers, how do we get a jump start to fixing this team within 1-2 seasons rather than hopefully building up over several seasons, by then losing whatever talent we had left at OL, RB, and possibly WR?

The offense is already stacked vs the defense in terms of cap space used, and there's no way we could expect better results on offense if those key talents are gone so what do we do?

I would pay Dak. That way Jerry won't have to sign crappy and underperforming players to big contracts. Zeke, Dlaw, and Smith should not have been given a contract.

Having to sign Dak will make Jerry focus on drafting and developing players instead of spending it on the garbage that they gave contracts too. Seriously the team is now tied up with contracts underperforming and they won't get out of it.

What makes you think letting Dak go will change this team for the better?

kskboys

Reaction score
I would take Byron over all
Those guys in a heartbeat. Major mistake letting him walk but resigning those clowns.
No, it would've been a major mistake paying him what we'd have had to pay him. Resigning most of the others was also a mistake.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No, it would've been a major mistake paying him what we'd have had to pay him. Resigning most of the others was also a mistake.

Yeah for as good as he was in coverage, Byron did not make plays. Preventing plays is good but you need more than that from a 15-16 million dollar a year cornerback. Love the kid, wish him well but it was time to let him get paid elsewhere. Nobody could have foreseen that we would be starting Darryl "Toast" Worley and the rookie at this point in the season. Losing McCoy definitely hurt because Poe is giving you nothing. I think he is about to get benched and then later released in about two weeks. Hill has flashed a dozen or so times the last couple of games. For all the bashing he takes Lawrence had two TFLs at huge moments yesterday even though one was negated by yet another ticky tacky penalty. Aldon was a virtual no-show but it was inevitable that dude was going to hit a wall at some point after 5 years off. We just have to hope he is able to recover and push through. Crawford is clearly not half the player he was playing on two surgically repaired hips. I feel bad for him because he was supposed to be a 12-15 snap fill in for McCoy and he's being asked to play way more than that and after spending years slimming down to play DE they are now asking him to bulk back up and play in side with no offseason program and double hip surgeries. Good luck with that. No one could have predicted this team would have been so hard hit by injuries but if someone had told me Lee, LVE, McCoy, Chido, and Brown would miss significant time I would have said this defense was probably going to suck.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We have this overlapping issue it seems where we wasted the prime of our offensive line with Dak, including the previous group of receivers that got tossed out as well because of Romo's situation.

Now we have all the young talented receivers you could ask for but in this time the oline has fallen apart and the defense has a bunch of brandon carrs at literally every position.

We know what Dak cant do with lesser receivers, we know what Dak still cant do with great receivers, how do we get a jump start to fixing this team within 1-2 seasons rather than hopefully building up over several seasons, by then losing whatever talent we had left at OL, RB, and possibly WR?

The offense is already stacked vs the defense in terms of cap space used, and there's no way we could expect better results on offense if those key talents are gone so what do we do?

I think we'd have to trade away players. I think we should keep Dak because he's our best player. However, I think Coop, Wilson, Jarwin, and a few others should be traded. Try to get some draft capital there. Maybe see if anyone will take DLaw and Jaylon. Cut T Crawford. Try to restructure some contracts to free up cap space. Then use most of the draft to draft defence with one or two for oline. I'd then use the Cap space freed up to add one or two big signings on defence.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

who do you propose is going to run the offense? and what will 31M get you if you go with a minimum wage QB....20 M got you Lawrence and 1/2 sack in 12 games. and the other 11M got you Jaylon Smith and number 55 ranked LB in the first 4 weeks.

the problem is not Dak. its the GM.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If I'm JJ/MM, I'm making it a mission to fix this D once and for all.......new DC, spend the next 2 entire drafts on D, try and sign a true defensive playmaker ( Von Miller perhaps ). Give me a bunch of young HUNGARY players, surrounded by couple elite vets.

I'd like to have Von Miller. I just have some concerns with him when it comes to effort when if he comes here. I don't think it'd be an issue, but there are players that get lax when they come here.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
If I'm Dak I make this decision for you - I'm not signing a long-term deal with the Cowboys. Let some other sucker try to drag that team around only to get blamed when they lose 100-99.

I get what you are trying do but its dumb to suggest a player doesnt want to be the QB of the most popular team in sports.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I can live with the Zeke deal, since if there were actually holes, he would run through them and be useful. Lawrence, Jaylon, Crawford, etc... that money I would like to have back. If that simple ******* even says hot boyz once, someone needs to bash him with a ball bat.
Man.....you guys are upset with Lawrence and that title but that whole defense is BAD.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Draft better and use your money wisely. If you didn’t overpay for Zeke, Lawrence, Jaylon, Collins, Poe.........you wouldn’t have to worry about what Dak is making.

Yeah but we did......are you suggesting we can go back in time and undo those?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
"Wasting the OL with Dak" is a good way to discredit the entire thread, because it's so...dumb.

superonyx

Reaction score
Tired of 40 burger games. It's not a recipe for success. It's flashy but not a long term winning formula.

Look at the Cowboy teams that have won SB in the past. Just in the 90's...... usually we win when Aikman attempts is under 30. Similar stats with Romo in the few years we won 11+ games. Our 13-3 under Dak also was the same. If Dak pass attempts under 30 usually we wins. The more pass attempts by our QB the lower our winning %.

1. Rebuild this D. Obviously from middle out. We have below average DT and old ones. LBs who can't change directions and below average safeties.
2. Trade one of our WR for a defensive piece. Should have picked up J Adams. These types of players are worth the draft picks (which often is a gamble).
3. We need to pay up for good FAs. Unfortunately the fugal spending just gets over the hill type players. We have not picked up a decent FA since ???.
4. Once we have a healthy OL we need to run better and run more. Keep pass attempts under 35..

Easier said than done of course.
Question 3..... The answer is Robert Quinn.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but we did......are you suggesting we can go back in time and undo those?
I'm suggesting either 1) not repeating the same mistakes in the future and 2) getting from under those contracts as soon as you possibly can. But yeah sure let's build a Deloreon and go back in time that seems like the most logical step.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm suggesting either 1) not repeating the same mistakes in the future and 2) getting from under those contracts as soon as you possibly can. But yeah sure let's build a Deloreon and go back in time that seems like the most logical step.

I don't think Zeke's deal is a bad deal if we use him. If we're going to have to play 5 wide as much as we have been then yes, we are better off with another running back. We gave Zeke the deal with the thought in mind that we would use him as a workhorse. Unfortunately it has not played out that way this season but we're only at the first quarter pole. There is still time to get this thing turned around. Even though Tank is not stuffing the statsheet I defy people to watch that guy play and talk about how he is underperforming. He chased Wilson into Smith for two of his sacks last week and he was in Mayfield's face on 7-8 times yesterday and he was one of the few d-linemen making plays in the backfield. All while playing on a bum wheel. Yes we need more from him but I am not willing to call his money ill-spent at this point. Jaylon is a bit of head scratcher. He seems lost in this defense. But he's hardly alone in that regard.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think Zeke's deal is a bad deal if we use him. If we're going to have to play 5 wide as much as we have been then yes, we are better off with another running back. We gave Zeke the deal with the thought in mind that we would use him as a workhorse. Unfortunately it has not played out that way this season but we're only at the first quarter pole. There is still time to get this thing turned around. Even though Tank is not stuffing the statsheet I defy people to watch that guy play and talk about how he is underperforming. He chased Wilson into Smith for two of his sacks last week and he was in Mayfield's face on 7-8 times yesterday and he was one of the few d-linemen making plays in the backfield. All while playing on a bum wheel. Yes we need more from him but I am not willing to call his money ill-spent at this point. Jaylon is a bit of head scratcher. He seems lost in this defense. But he's hardly alone in that regard.
I have no issue with Zeke's deal but I'm speaking strictly to the people who are so concerned with the salary cap. If they want to be concerned with Dak's contract and paying guys they need to look at about 6 other guys who are highly paid players who could've been replaced at a cheaper cost.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
same was KC plans on doing it. Dallas is not going to get rid of Dak despite what some may want. Dallas will use restructuring of deals and as we know draft choices do not take up much in cap space. With TV contracts coming up in 2021 which will double in size teams will be able to manage high dollar QB. Dallas is not the only team with a QB who makes big money.

The new TV contract doesnt remarkably improve our position if we gave in to Dak's request.

Firstly, there's this years reduced income and subsequent possible suspension in CAP increase.

More importantly the increase in TV revenue (and CAP increase) will inflate ALL contracts as all teams will have increased money. For instance 2023 and 2024 we are dead in CAP Space and that wont change with the new TV money.

The issue is that Mahomes was willing to take a long contract which helps flexibility, Dak's 3/4 year deal prevents nearly all FA activity for the duration of the contract.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I have no issue with Zeke's deal but I'm speaking strictly to the people who are so concerned with the salary cap. If they want to be concerned with Dak's contract and paying guys they need to look at about 6 other guys who are highly paid players who could've been replaced at a cheaper cost.

What people who whine about big contracts often miss is that in the first 2-3 years of the contract the cap hits are lowered significantly by spreading the signing bonus over the life of the deal. If I'm not mistaken Zeke's cap hit is LESS this year than it would have been on his 5th year option. I would love to see Dak signed to a long term contract that reduces his cap hit by 10 million a year for the first 2-3 years. That would enable the Cowboys to go after some real talent on defense. But people who want him gone will still be unhappy. Which of course is THEIR problem not mine.