How do you propose we fix the offensive line and entire defense if Dak gets paid?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No one wants to hear ot because people love fantasy numbers...

But in two years....you let Cooper and Elliott go...

Smith can be cut by then, maybe Lawrence as well.

They have these guys guaranteed years and we are stuck w them.

NOT that guys like Cooper arent performing, but that money clearly need to be allocated to defense.

They can be ok by 2023 if they draft well.....and of course they tell themselves they do even though the 3rd and 4th rounders cant dress on the worst defense in history.

So...there you are. Probably not winning for quite some time. At least dont expect to.

We'd save $34m (in 2022) by releasing Cooper, Elliott, Smith and Lawrence)

But that would soon be swallowed up with: extending Aldon, Gallup, Pollard and (hopefully) LVE.

It also means we'd need a whole new D-Line and a secondary (other than Brown and Diggs).

Even if we drafted well that will still only mean one good starter per year.

We will have some more bleak defensive years to come.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
What people who whine about big contracts often miss is that in the first 2-3 years of the contract the cap hits are lowered significantly by spreading the signing bonus over the life of the deal. If I'm not mistaken Zeke's cap hit is LESS this year than it would have been on his 5th year option. I would love to see Dak signed to a long term contract that reduces his cap hit by 10 million a year for the first 2-3 years. That would enable the Cowboys to go after some real talent on defense. But people who want him gone will still be unhappy. Which of course is THEIR problem not mine.

A lot of us that are perceived as anti-Dak agree with that post. The issue we saw was the 3/4 year contract which crippled our CAP over those years.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We have this overlapping issue it seems where we wasted the prime of our offensive line with Dak, including the previous group of receivers that got tossed out as well because of Romo's situation.

Now we have all the young talented receivers you could ask for but in this time the oline has fallen apart and the defense has a bunch of brandon carrs at literally every position.

We know what Dak cant do with lesser receivers, we know what Dak still cant do with great receivers, how do we get a jump start to fixing this team within 1-2 seasons rather than hopefully building up over several seasons, by then losing whatever talent we had left at OL, RB, and possibly WR?

The offense is already stacked vs the defense in terms of cap space used, and there's no way we could expect better results on offense if those key talents are gone so what do we do?

Started this year losing Frederick. Then lost Collins and Tyron to begin the season. That the offense didn't totally collapse shows that the oline is in pretty good shape this year, and in even better shape for the future.

Tyron back. Biadasz taking over at C. Knight playing well at RT. Two young guys playing ok with the arrow pointing up. A gazillion yards with them just stepping in. They should just improve with starter snaps and more experience.

If Williams can start stepping up at LG, or McGovern can, the oline can be solid across the board.

Collins will be back next year. Knight becomes a starter quality backup. Maybe McGovern can be one too. Even Steele next year, or the year after that. The future is bright for the oline.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It'll take longer than that..... The defense isn't a few players away from even being bad. They are horrible.

Maybe start with a proven DC and D staff?

When almost everyone on the defense looks bad, look to the coaching. We've scraped deeper into the bottom of the barrel and not looked so bad. Coaching is clearly *part* of the issue here.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@InTheZone And you forgot to mention that the cap may be as low as $175M if the revenue continues to sink.

A good portion of the fans are Cowboy fans. They will tune out if the Cowboys continue to stink. So, NFL, you might want to stop screwing the Cowboys every chance you can with crappy offensive pass interference against Gallup and unnecessary roughness against the LB Thomas who got the interception.

Not making excuses but there have always been an inordinate number of calls going against the Cowboys.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What people who whine about big contracts often miss is that in the first 2-3 years of the contract the cap hits are lowered significantly by spreading the signing bonus over the life of the deal. If I'm not mistaken Zeke's cap hit is LESS this year than it would have been on his 5th year option. I would love to see Dak signed to a long term contract that reduces his cap hit by 10 million a year for the first 2-3 years. That would enable the Cowboys to go after some real talent on defense. But people who want him gone will still be unhappy. Which of course is THEIR problem not mine.
You're 100% right.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
2016 - 14th
2017 - 8th
2018 - 7th
2019 - 9th
2020 - 30th

Those are the defensive rankings for daks teams since coming into the league. The argument had been made around here “if we had a better defense”.

last year our defense was top 10. Dak couldn’t get us past 8-8. In a bad division.
So I ask. With what has pretty much been an offense loaded with all pro players from 2018 on? Why has dak not won anything? Why do we constantly blame everyone else but dak?

kskboys

Reaction score
And we've tried. Dak won't sign a long term contract.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And we've tried. Dak won't sign a long term contract.
Yeah and I am miffed about that. By not signing a long term deal and helping the team out he is literally signing himself up to be Romo 2.0. Lots of flowery numbers but never a good enough defense to actually do anything. The only saving grace is he doesn't turn it over quite as much as Romo did in his younger years. But if Dak holds the team up for some 3 year deal at 35 million a year on the cap he's being selfish and I will drive over to his place to help him pack up on his way out of town. Either drag the team to a deep playoff run with the flawed roster around you while getting every dollar available or get out of town. It's really that simple for me.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Are you serious? At the rate this team is winning we could end up going 1-15 which I believe would lead to the 1st overall pick in the 1st rd. REMEMBER the ATLANTA game, if one of their idiots would of fell on the ball we'd be 0-4 and I'm not stating this to be funny I'm stating this because this team is that bad. Wait until we start playing the good teams in this league, we're in trouble!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The new TV contract doesnt remarkably improve our position if we gave in to Dak's request.

Firstly, there's this years reduced income and subsequent possible suspension in CAP increase.

More importantly the increase in TV revenue (and CAP increase) will inflate ALL contracts as all teams will have increased money. For instance 2023 and 2024 we are dead in CAP Space and that wont change with the new TV money.

The issue is that Mahomes was willing to take a long contract which helps flexibility, Dak's 3/4 year deal prevents nearly all FA activity for the duration of the contract.

1st off yes TV deal makes a difference and will increase cap across the board, 2nd Dallas is not the only team with a QB whose contract will be very high, what Dallas is supposed to run out every 3 years and get a new QB because to keep his contract low. and lastly there is no deal done nor do we know what the deal will be after this season is over. I would also add contract around the NFL especially at QB will continue to rise.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah and I am miffed about that. By not signing a long term deal and helping the team out he is literally signing himself up to be Romo 2.0. Lots of flowery numbers but never a good enough defense to actually do anything. The only saving grace is he doesn't turn it over quite as much as Romo did in his younger years. But if Dak holds the team up for some 3 year deal at 35 million a year on the cap he's being selfish and I will drive over to his place to help him pack up on his way out of town. Either drag the team to a deep playoff run with the flawed roster around you while getting every dollar available or get out of town. It's really that simple for me.

Then so is every QB out there who when they became FA got big deals, Dak will get his and within 2 years I can promise his contract will not be close to the highest in the NFL as others will leap frog him as is the case every year.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
When healthy the OL is fine. You maybe draft a LT for future in round 3/4 but that’s it. Sunk enough resources there already. Knight is a starter in this league. He needs to start at LG when everyone is healthy next year. Move Conner to his natural position.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Then so is every QB out there who when they became FA got big deals, Dak will get his and within 2 years I can promise his contract will not be close to the highest in the NFL as others will leap frog him as is the case every year.

And I am willing to wager any of them who did that BEFORE getting a ring still don't have one. If it's just about money.. then say so and leave town.. If it's about rings and being great, then show it. Take a team friendly deal and help them build a champion.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
last year our defense was top 10. Dak couldn’t get us past 8-8. In a bad division.
So I ask. With what has pretty much been an offense loaded with all pro players from 2018 on? Why has dak not won anything? Why do we constantly blame everyone else but dak?

Zeke no shows vs good teams = an inconsistent running game couldn’t get us past 8-8. In a bad division. Of course Dak haters think he has to carry the entire offense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And I am willing to wager any of them who did that BEFORE getting a ring still don't have one. If it's just about money.. then say so and leave town.. If it's about rings and being great, then show it. Take a team friendly deal and help them build a champion.

Money plays a part no doubt about it. Was Wilson being greedy? I'm sorry the only solution is every 3 years go find another QB and I know from the Cowboys past that is easier said that done. I know what teams who have poor QB look like and I know many of them including Dallas spent years looking for one. What people are asking of Dak I think it unrealistic this is a business and not just Dak and players have to get the money when the opportunity comes because their careers for the most part are short lived. I don't buy into the notion that if Dak get paid we will not no money, these caps are not hard caps and teams move money around to help free up the cap. Rookies come in on cheaper deals so it will not affect brining in young players and for a lot of NFL teams it does not seem to slow them down in the FA market.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Zeke no shows vs good teams = an inconsistent running game couldn’t get us past 8-8. In a bad division. Of course Dak haters think he has to carry the entire offense.
I mean he wants all that money he should? Do you watch Russell Wilson? This guy wants more than him LOL.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Money plays a part no doubt about it. Was Wilson being greedy? I'm sorry the only solution is every 3 years go find another QB and I know from the Cowboys past that is easier said that done. I know what teams who have poor QB look like and I know many of them including Dallas spent years looking for one. What people are asking of Dak I think it unrealistic this is a business and not just Dak and players have to get the money when the opportunity comes because their careers for the most part are short lived. I don't buy into the notion that if Dak get paid we will not no money, these caps are not hard caps and teams move money around to help free up the cap. Rookies come in on cheaper deals so it will not affect brining in young players and for a lot of NFL teams it does not seem to slow them down in the FA market.

I don't disagree.. I just don't care. I want a championship team so I am opposed to anything that hinders that. Paying Dak 40 million a year for the next X number of years will hinder that. You mention that it's a business. And that is true, however the QB of the Dallas Cowboys becomes a brand that survives for decades after his playing days are done. Every one of them who had any kind of success ON the field has gone on to great success OFF the field as well. Dandy Don on Monday Night Football, Roger is a billionaire businessman. Danny White had a great run as an Arena League coach. Troy is the #1 analyst for FOX, Romo is #1 for CBS. When it's all said and done they will make more money after football than they made playing. WHich is saying a lot for guys like Troy and Romo because they were well paid but that's the reality. Romo will surpass his football earnings in about year 8 as a broadcaster. Troy probably blew past his already. If it's "a business" then it behooves you to think both short and long term. Yes $120 million will set Dak and the next three generations of his lineage up ... but if he breaks the bank and this team never makes to the playoffs again because of his contract what will that do for his post playing days prospects.. NO he will not NEED to work ever again.. but guys like that WANT to work. They need something to do.. If he is perceived as the greedy ******* to handicapped the Cowboys for 10 years.. I wonder how DFW will treat Dak in 2030 and beyond.

Adreme

Reaction score
2016 - 14th

2017 - 8th
2018 - 7th
2019 - 9th
2020 - 30th

Those are the defensive rankings for daks teams since coming into the league. The argument had been made around here “if we had a better defense”.

Last year the defense was 9th but the offense was 1st so it seems silly to avoid mentioning that fact.

I would ask the inverse as everyone seems to blame Dak but Martin only was 8-8 and yet no one complained about making him the top paid guard and Smith is also only at 8-8 player? Teams win games and teams lose games. Its basically impossible to win in the NFL without a high-level QB, but it is also impossible to win in the NFL with only a top-level QB. If we want to make wins an individual stat though, then a lot of those Pro Bowl players are probably also on the chopping block though as the only year wins happened was when Dak was a rookie.