How do you propose we fix the offensive line and entire defense if Dak gets paid?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't disagree.. I just don't care. I want a championship team so I am opposed to anything that hinders that. Paying Dak 40 million a year for the next X number of years will hinder that. You mention that it's a business. And that is true, however the QB of the Dallas Cowboys becomes a brand that survives for decades after his playing days are done. Every one of them who had any kind of success ON the field has gone on to great success OFF the field as well. Dandy Don on Monday Night Football, Roger is a billionaire businessman. Danny White had a great run as an Arena League coach. Troy is the #1 analyst for FOX, Romo is #1 for CBS. When it's all said and done they will make more money after football than they made playing. WHich is saying a lot for guys like Troy and Romo because they were well paid but that's the reality. Romo will surpass his football earnings in about year 8 as a broadcaster. Troy probably blew past his already. If it's "a business" then it behooves you to think both short and long term. Yes $120 million will set Dak and the next three generations of his lineage up ... but if he breaks the bank and this team never makes to the playoffs again because of his contract what will that do for his post playing days prospects.. NO he will not NEED to work ever again.. but guys like that WANT to work. They need something to do.. If he is perceived as the greedy ******* to handicapped the Cowboys for 10 years.. I wonder how DFW will treat Dak in 2030 and beyond.

Paying Dak will not hinder it, the cap will continue to rise and what looks outrageous today tends to be middle of the road tomorrow on these contracts. Wilson getting his deal did not stop the seahawks from getting FA players so this notion oh if Dak gets paid Dallas will not have money for anyone else is a load of crap.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
1st off yes TV deal makes a difference and will increase cap across the board, 2nd Dallas is not the only team with a QB whose contract will be very high, what Dallas is supposed to run out every 3 years and get a new QB because to keep his contract low. and lastly there is no deal done nor do we know what the deal will be after this season is over. I would also add contract around the NFL especially at QB will continue to rise.

The TV deal doesnt make a difference if he wants a short deal....hence the Mahomes deal goes beyond the Fox/NBC/CBS deal due in 2023 and ESPN 2022.

It appears that Dak (and or French), wanted top dollar for 3 years (inc 2020) and to become a FA again after the TV deals have been signed.....whilst that suits Dak financially, it becomes near impossible for us to build a team around him.

Mahomes and Watson are averaging less than $35m through 2024.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The truth is that Dak requires elite offensive weapons to succeed.
OK NOW DO EVERY OTHER QUARTERBACK

I don't know why Dak constantly gets punished for this lol. Look at Deshaun Watson right now, and tell me environment doesn't matter. Even Russ, good as he is, is improved this year simply because the OL is finally decent and they've simply chosen to give him the freedom to throw the ball consistently.

It is true across the league. Do we really think Mahomes is the same player on the Jets right now?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Its basically impossible to win in the NFL without a high-level QB, but it is also impossible to win in the NFL with only a top-level QB.

The last 4 winning QB's in NFCCG Games:

Garoppolo
Goff
Folds
Ryan

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The TV deal doesnt make a difference if he wants a short deal....hence the Mahomes deal goes beyond the Fox/NBC/CBS deal due in 2023 and ESPN 2022.

It appears that Dak (and or French), wanted top dollar for 3 years (inc 2020) and to become a FA again after the TV deals have been signed.....whilst that suits Dak financially, it becomes near impossible for us to build a team around him.

Mahomes and Watson are averaging less than $35m through 2024.

Yeah a deal that doubles what NFL brings in has no affect? what are you smoking. We know what Dak demands were last year we have no clue as to what he will be asking for in terms of length of deal. As for paying Dak prevents the Cowboys from getting players? BS it does not stop other teams like Seahawks from bringing in FA or drafting players and yes keeping players despite the fact of Wilson contract. People act as if the cap is some hard cap, it is not and teams have ways of moving money and freeing up cap space they do it every year. People don't want Dak fine be honest but this crap of oh he will destroy the cap is a load of crap. One thing I have seen consistently around the NFL is many of these big deals 2 years down the road are no longer as other players look to get paid once they become FA.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
OK NOW DO EVERY OTHER QUARTERBACK

I don't know why Dak constantly gets punished for this lol. Look at Deshaun Watson right now, and tell me environment doesn't matter. Even Russ, good as he is, is improved this year simply because the OL is finally decent and they've simply chosen to give him the freedom to throw the ball consistently.

It is true across the league. Do we really think Mahomes is the same player on the Jets right now?

Watson disproves your argument. On his own, without Hopkins and a running game they are a lowly 0-4.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Watson disproves your argument. On his own, without Hopkins and a running game they are a lowly 0-4.

Hopkins was sent packing because him and O'Brien did not get along, had nothing to do with Texas unable to afford him.

Adreme

Reaction score
The last 4 winning QB's in NFCCG Games:

Garoppolo
Goff
Folds
Ryan

So 3 solid QBs and a QB who had the number 1 seed because of play by Wentz. What the 49ers were without Garoppolo sort of proves my point. They were a team that picked second overall in between stomping everyone for his full season (and the rest of the season after his trade).

The fun fact about that is 3 of those teams paid their QB during that tenure which also shows that you can pay a QB and still build a winner.

Edit: I cant remember if that was the year before they paid Goff or after but either way they still had that window.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well, a few options so to speak:

DT/DE Tyrone Crawford $9.1M cap hit in the last year of his deal and I do not see Dallas bringing him back unless it's for a $1-2M/year deal

DE Everson Griffin $5.8M cap hit in the last year of his deal and I do not see Dallas bringing him back

LB Sean Lee $4.5M cap hit in the last year of his deal and I do not see him coming back next year

DT Dontari Poe $4.5M cap hit with $750K dead money next year so a $4M savings if cut after this season; I think Dallas releases him

LT Tyron Smith $14M cap hit next year with $8.8M in dead money so a savings of $5.2M if his health continues to decline

Carry Over Cap $23.6M

So, Dallas could have over $50M in cap space available next season with some player releases plus more if they look at restructuring some deals......however with the decision on Dak next season Dallas could either dedicate the majority of their free cap space towards helping to fix the OL & Defense or a much smaller percentage if they decide to re-sign Dak.
lets add to that, lawrence 20M/year contract and Jaylon's 64 million hand out...

so its not as if there isn't money even with a 32M contract for Dak. its that the money is wasted on below average talent that doesn't produce. when a 20M DE contract gets you 0.5 sacks in 12 games, that's shame on your for handing out that contract. when your 64M LB is ranked 55th in the league as opposed to top 15, that's shame on you to hand out that contract.

when you pay a back up 9M/year contract to play hybrid DT/DE, that's shame on you to hand otu that contract.

why is Poe making 4.5M? who thought that was a good idea? Griffin making 6M...why? he has shown nothing.

the problem is not Dak's contract size. the problem is we make all the wrong investments, waste all the money and picks on the wrong players on defense. remember Taco? instead of watt. LVE has been on the sideline more than he has played.

imagine if those contracts and picks would have worked out.

there wouldnt' be any arguments then....this defense would have been good.

and even if we signed a minimum salary QB...given the performance of the FO finding and signing defensive players has been more than dismal, it wouldn't gaurantee this defense would be good. we can't even find the right coaches. we let ebberflus who was in our own house walk and build the #1 defense in the league. but we keep Marinelli and bring in Richard (and all rejoice because he screams on the sideline...woohoo)

SackMaster

Reaction score
How do you fix the Defense? Through the draft with 1 or 2 vet signings. Oh, and get a real D-Coordinator.

How do you fix the online? Get healthy and find 1 or 2 guys in free agency. They don't have to be top tier, but they can't be UDFA either.

All this hand ringing over over paying the offense means the Defense will suck. But is that reality?

Question 1: Who has the best defense in football right now?

Question 2: What team has the highest amount of cap money tied up in their offensive players?

The answer to both is the Colts.

I wonder how in the heck that is possible since all we hear is that it CAN'T be done.
:huh:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yeah a deal that doubles what NFL brings in has no affect? what are you smoking. We know what Dak demands were last year we have no clue as to what he will be asking for in terms of length of deal. As for paying Dak prevents the Cowboys from getting players? BS it does not stop other teams like Seahawks from bringing in FA or drafting players and yes keeping players despite the fact of Wilson contract. People act as if the cap is some hard cap, it is not and teams have ways of moving money and freeing up cap space they do it every year. People don't want Dak fine be honest but this crap of oh he will destroy the cap is a load of crap. One thing I have seen consistently around the NFL is many of these big deals 2 years down the road are no longer as other players look to get paid once they become FA.

Firstly, I havent said I dont want Dak.....HOWEVER:

We arent in the financial position of teams like the Seahawks as we've already gambled with future money.

Comparing CAP allocation ( using Over the Cap increases) available CAP during the term of Wilsons contract:

Seattle - $20m
Dallas - $16m (without a QB)

Seattle - $118m
Dallas - $46m (without a QB)

Seattle - $157m
Dallas - $70m (without a QB)

You can ignore the CAP, many do saying we'll just restructure..... the concerns with that are: Collins (injury concern), Smith (injury concern), Lawrence (awful contract which means we'll still be paying him $11m in Dead money in 2023).

All of the above are reasons why we cant sign Dak to that short term contract.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Firstly, I havent said I dont want Dak.....HOWEVER:

We arent in the financial position of teams like the Seahawks as we've already gambled with future money.

Comparing CAP allocation ( using Over the Cap increases) available CAP during the term of Wilsons contract:

Seattle - $20m
Dallas - $16m (without a QB)

Seattle - $118m
Dallas - $46m (without a QB)

Seattle - $157m
Dallas - $70m (without a QB)

You can ignore the CAP, many do saying we'll just restructure..... the concerns with that are: Collins (injury concern), Smith (injury concern), Lawrence (awful contract which means we'll still be paying him $11m in Dead money in 2023).

All of the above are reasons why we cant sign Dak to that short term contract.

You do not know what type of contract Dak will be looking at next season. Again these contract as not what they seem to be in how they get structed plays a big part.
In 2018 the 4 highest paid QB Rodgers, Ryan, Cousins and Garoppolo deals now do not look outrageous compared to the deals now in place in 2020. Rodgers now is the 5th highest paid QB, Cousins in the 7th highest paid, Ryan the 10th highest paid and Garoppolo is the 12th highest paid compared to 2 years ago. Dak contract can be handled and within 2 year his deal will be as big as what future contacts will be. I don't live in a 1 year bubble. As for the cap again teams around the NFL manage them. They do not seem to have a problem bringing in FA players so this notion oh Dak will kill the cap is load of crap.

aikemirv

Reaction score
We have this overlapping issue it seems where we wasted the prime of our offensive line with Dak, including the previous group of receivers that got tossed out as well because of Romo's situation.

Now we have all the young talented receivers you could ask for but in this time the oline has fallen apart and the defense has a bunch of brandon carrs at literally every position.

We know what Dak cant do with lesser receivers, we know what Dak still cant do with great receivers, how do we get a jump start to fixing this team within 1-2 seasons rather than hopefully building up over several seasons, by then losing whatever talent we had left at OL, RB, and possibly WR?

The offense is already stacked vs the defense in terms of cap space used, and there's no way we could expect better results on offense if those key talents are gone so what do we do?
Actually just coaching and effort. That would get you a respectable defense to go with the offense we have! You don't need stars, just guys who are smart and want to play. We are lacking those guys!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Were those contracts signed before or after they got to the SB????

Peyton Manning wasn't. He became one of the highest paid when he went to Denver, yet they managed to bring in weapons including DeMarcus Ware to work opposite of Von Miller. Really you think NFL QB are going to sit back and not go after these contract? Cowboy QB are the only ones in the NFL who should take the shaft because some fan thinks he is paid too much? lol Give me a break teams will continue to pay QB those who refuse can join the list of teams who are in dire need of QB and I have seen how that plays out. As BP said there is no 1-800-QB, they are not easy to find. You got a good QB pay them

McKDaddy

Reaction score
things look so bleak right now that I'm not so sure you shouldn't look at moving some tradable pieces while they still have value. Also, may have to bite the bullet & accept some dead money to cut some non performers. Not necessarily a full rebuild but a heavy renovation.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Best thing to do is to go into next season having to draft a qb1 AND defense.

You wouldnt need to draft a QB1.....and you fail to mention the $37.7m saved to improve the team.

As ive said i'm not a Dak hater, however, if he's looking at $35-$40m for 3 years so that he ca be a FA when the tv deal comes out we wont the short term financial short term flexibility to plug the issues with Defense and O-Line depth to contest.