How do you propose we fix the offensive line and entire defense if Dak gets paid?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Peyton Manning played under the cap was one of the highest paid FA by Denver and won a SB. Granted AFC but fact is teams will pay QB that is just fact, those who don't better hope like hell they find one the hardest position to fill. Those who have no desire to resign Dak nothing I say will change their views however no one will convince me that letting a top QB go is a good move.

That is the dilemma isn't it? A good QB is the hardest job to fill and we have one. But at some point we have to ask ourselves if having a good QB will be enough if you're going to have a defense that can't force punts on at least half the opposing team's drives. Hell make 'em kick a friggin field goal every once in a while. 99% of the time in the NFL it's not. I don't care how good your QB or your offense is, you can't win jack with an all time horrid defense. Remember the year Mahomes threw 50 TDs? Remember what did him in? That's right.. they had the worst defense in the league and it caught up to them in the playoffs They revamped the defense to where it was at least middle of the pack and were able to get it done. And even at that don't forget that when the Chiefs faced a really good defense in the Super Bowl their offense looked pretty pedestrian except for a couple of drives. That's the way it goes.. Having JUST great offense simply doesn't work. Sure there will be an outlier here or there but overall if you can't get stops you get to watch the Super Bowl on TV. No matter how great your QB or your offense are.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That is the dilemma isn't it? A good QB is the hardest job to fill and we have one. But at some point we have to ask ourselves if having a good QB will be enough if you're going to have a defense that can't force punts on at least half the opposing team's drives. Hell make 'em kick a friggin field goal every once in a while. 99% of the time in the NFL it's not. I don't care how good your QB or your offense is, you can't win jack with an all time horrid defense. Remember the year Mahomes threw 50 TDs? Remember what did him in? That's right.. they had the worst defense in the league and it caught up to them in the playoffs They revamped the defense to where it was at least middle of the pack and were able to get it done. And even at that don't forget that when the Chiefs faced a really good defense in the Super Bowl their offense looked pretty pedestrian except for a couple of drives. That's the way it goes.. Having JUST great offense simply doesn't work. Sure there will be an outlier here or there but overall if you can't get stops you get to watch the Super Bowl on TV. No matter how great your QB or your offense are.

Poor defense is not a reason to get rid of the QB or to try avoiding paying him. I agree that defense needs to be addressed some guys who are getting highly paid on defense need to step up or get moved out, focus on the draft really needs to be on defense as well as FA pickups but again I don't cut off my nose to spite my face and that is what you would be doing, fix the defense and end up looking and praying for a QB. Maybe you don't remember Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson and the others who bounced in and out. I'm all for addressing defense but I'm sure as hell will not sacrifice a QB to do so.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Poor defense is not a reason to get rid of the QB or to try avoiding paying him. I agree that defense needs to be addressed some guys who are getting highly paid on defense need to step up or get moved out, focus on the draft really needs to be on defense as well as FA pickups but again I don't cut off my nose to spite my face and that is what you would be doing, fix the defense and end up looking and praying for a QB. Maybe you don't remember Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson and the others who bounced in and out. I'm all for addressing defense but I'm sure as hell will not sacrifice a QB to do so.

No argument here. I honestly think it might be worth sitting Lawrence for a week or two to let that knee settle down. Having him limp around for 30-35 snaps a game is not helping at all. He has made some plays but we need him at full speed for more like 50 snaps. It's a no brainer that the defense is going to get markedly better when Chido, AB, Lee and LVE come back. That's going to provide much better down the field coverage and allow the d-line to eat. Unfortunately the d-line isn't going to get any better until Griffen and Lawrence find their mojo. I think at this point you have to cut bait with Poe and sign Snacks. He lives in Dallas and wants to play here. Could be any less of an impact than Poe? I would even favor going with Woods and Hill to start games. At least you get some quickness and energy up front though you obviously lose some girth. But girth aint doin nothin for us to this point. The kids are outplaying Poe and Crawford.. It's time the coaching staff admitted that. I also think Jaylon will be fine once he can settle back into the role they envisioned for him in this defense. I really just think dude's head is spinning right now and on top of that on running plays there is some 330 pound guard in his lap 35 times a game because of our lack of production up front. As with most things in football. it always comes back to the trenches.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No argument here. I honestly think it might be worth sitting Lawrence for a week or two to let that knee settle down. Having him limp around for 30-35 snaps a game is not helping at all. He has made some plays but we need him at full speed for more like 50 snaps. It's a no brainer that the defense is going to get markedly better when Chido, AB, Lee and LVE come back. That's going to provide much better down the field coverage and allow the d-line to eat. Unfortunately the d-line isn't going to get any better until Griffen and Lawrence find their mojo. I think at this point you have to cut bait with Poe and sign Snacks. He lives in Dallas and wants to play here. Could be any less of an impact than Poe? I would even favor going with Woods and Hill to start games. At least you get some quickness and energy up front though you obviously lose some girth. But girth aint doin nothin for us to this point. The kids are outplaying Poe and Crawford.. It's time the coaching staff admitted that. I also think Jaylon will be fine once he can settle back into the role they envisioned for him in this defense. I really just think dude's head is spinning right now and on top of that on running plays there is some 330 pound guard in his lap 35 times a game because of our lack of production up front. As with most things in football. it always comes back to the trenches.

I agree DT is hurting us and really hope to see Neville Gallimore showing he can help us out soon.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

There arent many fans who want to just "get rid" of Dak. Its a matter of our financial position just not being able to sustain a 3 year contract (4 may be position though difficult).

The comments about cutting highly paid players and drafting replacements sounds great, until you see the reality of the Dead Cap money (eg Lawrence - $44m to cut him next year) - let alone getting replacements. The draft can only garner so much, only first round picks tend to contribute consistently in the first year.

If he wants 4+ years we could accommodate with some flexibility, if he's adamant and wants 3 (so that he becomes a FA after the tv deal) then he's got an ideal partner in Indianapolis.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Draft better and use your money wisely. If you didn’t overpay for Zeke, Lawrence, Jaylon, Collins, Poe.........you wouldn’t have to worry about what Dak is making.

I agree. Although they seem to hit on their 1st round picks. It's the 2nd and 3rd rounders that Dallas totally messes up on. Why use a 2nd round on projects or high risk players such as Randy Gregory, Jaylon Smith and Trysten Hill?

It shows how far disconnected Jerry is from the game of football. He really doesn't know how to nurture and cultivate a team in which winning comes easily. The best he can do is just hire real GM with full personnel making authority. If not, we are just running in circles with the same problem over and over again.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There arent many fans who want to just "get rid" of Dak. Its a matter of our financial position just not being able to sustain a 3 year contract (4 may be position though difficult).

The comments about cutting highly paid players and drafting replacements sounds great, until you see the reality of the Dead Cap money (eg Lawrence - $44m to cut him next year) - let alone getting replacements. The draft can only garner so much, only first round picks tend to contribute consistently in the first year.

If he wants 4+ years we could accommodate with some flexibility, if he's adamant and wants 3 (so that he becomes a FA after the tv deal) then he's got an ideal partner in Indianapolis.

Right now there is no deal there is no contract so we will see what Dak side and Cowboys side are willing to do. Ultimately Dallas will get Dak signed and I know QB is a hell of a lot harder to find and replace. So I take care of my QB period. I don't see others looking to ditch their QB and there is a reason for it. I don't expect Dak to take a low ball offer that 2 years down the road will make him one of the lowest paid in the league. I think it is easy for fans to say he should give up the money but then it is not your butt on the line.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. Although they seem to hit on their 1st round picks. It's the 2nd and 3rd rounders that Dallas totally messes up on. Why use a 2nd round on projects or high risk players such as Randy Gregory, Jaylon Smith and Trysten Hill?

It shows how far disconnected Jerry is from the game of football. He really doesn't know how to nurture and cultivate a team in which winning comes easily. The best he can do is just hire real GM with full personnel making authority. If not, we are just running in circles with the same problem over and over again.
I can't call it. I don't even know what they even try to do in the draft anymore. I mean we got Diggs this year and even if he flops I have no issue with that. I actually have no issue with the Chido pick either. Its those other 2nd rounders that just look foolish.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Right now there is no deal there is no contract so we will see what Dak side and Cowboys side are willing to do. Ultimately Dallas will get Dak signed and I know QB is a hell of a lot harder to find and replace. So I take care of my QB period. I don't see others looking to ditch their QB and there is a reason for it. I don't expect Dak to take a low ball offer that 2 years down the road will make him one of the lowest paid in the league. I think it is easy for fans to say he should give up the money but then it is not your butt on the line.

I think most people realize that whether you make 30 million a year or 40 million a year your life is set .. your kids lives are set and their kids are set. And probably their kids too. All you have to do just not be stupid with your money. It also bears pointing out that the day Dak signs Jerry is going to write him a bonus check for 75-100 million dollars. I won't bore people with how present value dollars works but having 100 million dollars dropped into your account today is worth about 200 million spread out over 10 years in increments. If I sign say a 10 year deal for 400 million I don't care what other people sign for later.. I will have 100 million bucks in my bank account today. No way you get a bonus that big on a 3 year deal.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With this shooting style of football the OL is fine. We need to put resources into the DB's and defense. Sign the best CB's on the market, grab 2 safeties, draft LB and DL. Cut dead weight.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think most people realize that whether you make 30 million a year or 40 million a year your life is set .. your kids lives are set and their kids are set. And probably their kids too. All you have to do just not be stupid with your money. It also bears pointing out that the day Dak signs Jerry is going to write him a bonus check for 75-100 million dollars. I won't bore people with how present value dollars works but having 100 million dollars dropped into your account today is worth about 200 million spread out over 10 years in increments. If I sign say a 10 year deal for 400 million I don't care what other people sign for later.. I will have 100 million bucks in my bank account today. No way you get a bonus that big on a 3 year deal.

I get that I also get you say the same for 31 other teams and QB's. Cowboys either pay Dak or they don't. I hope they do. As for him destroying the cap again I think others have managed to work around the cap and still be able to bring in FA, sign other key parts and move on. in 2018 we saw Rodgers the highest paid and now 2 years later he is the 5th highest, Ryan 2nd highest in 2018 now 10th highest, Garoppolo 4th highest and now 12th highest paid. Fact is what looks astronomical today in terms of these deals within a couple of years they are around the middle of the road contracts.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, a few options so to speak:

DT/DE Tyrone Crawford $9.1M cap hit in the last year of his deal and I do not see Dallas bringing him back unless it's for a $1-2M/year deal

DE Everson Griffin $5.8M cap hit in the last year of his deal and I do not see Dallas bringing him back

LB Sean Lee $4.5M cap hit in the last year of his deal and I do not see him coming back next year

DT Dontari Poe $4.5M cap hit with $750K dead money next year so a $4M savings if cut after this season; I think Dallas releases him

LT Tyron Smith $14M cap hit next year with $8.8M in dead money so a savings of $5.2M if his health continues to decline

Carry Over Cap $23.6M

So, Dallas could have over $50M in cap space available next season with some player releases plus more if they look at restructuring some deals......however with the decision on Dak next season Dallas could either dedicate the majority of their free cap space towards helping to fix the OL & Defense or a much smaller percentage if they decide to re-sign Dak.
Cut Lawrence and Jaylen, along with those you mentioned and you can have a brand new defense. Why is it that because of Dak we can’t field a good defense? The high priced players in defense are not worth what they are being paid. So yes move on from them, use their money wisely and pay Dak!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe we could hire a bunch of pro wrestlers at bargain basement contracts.

That seems like it should be our best bet to match our cost requirements! ;)

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You don't you overpay a RB a DL a LT a LB...draft another that is hurt to back up the career injured one you already have..then let a top 5 QB and top 5CB walk.....I mean this is a plan i would've hired a GM for....."ok boss I know this is by the rules now set a passing league, but screw that lets let the top 5 QB we have walk go roll the dice in the draft and over pay everyone else...." I don't care if you like Dak or not this is what your saying....this defense isn't ONE DRAFT away from being good so basically your rebuilding so your good in time to quess what.... Pay that rookie QB just when the rest of people are wanting their money too so our brilliant fans can once again say......DON"T PAY HIM YOU HAVE TO WIN WITH A QB ON A ROOKIE CONTRACT...rinse and repeat. Congratulations you probabnly win most of your Madden franchise seasons.

kskboys

Reaction score
Very well said.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I get that I also get you say the same for 31 other teams and QB's. Cowboys either pay Dak or they don't. I hope they do. As for him destroying the cap again I think others have managed to work around the cap and still be able to bring in FA, sign other key parts and move on. in 2018 we saw Rodgers the highest paid and now 2 years later he is the 5th highest, Ryan 2nd highest in 2018 now 10th highest, Garoppolo 4th highest and now 12th highest paid. Fact is what looks astronomical today in terms of these deals within a couple of years they are around the middle of the road contracts.

These guys got a huge bonus check the day they signed. Their cap hits are starting to creep up but their actual weekly paycheck isn't anywhere near what the cap hit would indicate. It's not about what it looks like for me.. It's about how the deal can be constructed so that the Cowboys can field a good team for the foreseeable future. I honestly don't care if they pay him 50 million a year as long as it helps us on the cap for the next 4-5 years. But a short term deal pretty much renders that impossible.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Our CAP is already destroyed hence the problem with the 3 year deal.

You just dont seem to realize that it's not so much the money it's the length of deal that's the issue. If he wants a 3 year deal and wants to stay in Dallas he'll need to accept less than he would in Indianapolis (and New England) and that's where French comes in.....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Our CAP is already destroyed hence the problem with the 3 year deal.

You just dont seem to realize that it's not so much the money it's the length of deal that's the issue. If he wants a 3 year deal and wants to stay in Dallas he'll need to accept less than he would in Indianapolis (and New England) and that's where French comes in.....

NO it's not. The Cowboys are more than 23 million under the cap as it stands and if they let Dak walk will be over 40 million under next year. Of course no one here actually believes they are going to let him walk but they can't really franchise him again because that will make his cap hit 38 million next year when the cap is likely to go down at least in 2021. That's just bad juju. They either have to sign him to a long term deal or let him walk. They cannot do the short term thing or the franchise tag. Well I mean they could but the results would look a lot like what is causing us to throw up watching every Sunday now.

Romotil45

Reaction score
We have this overlapping issue it seems where we wasted the prime of our offensive line with Dak, including the previous group of receivers that got tossed out as well because of Romo's situation.

Now we have all the young talented receivers you could ask for but in this time the oline has fallen apart and the defense has a bunch of brandon carrs at literally every position.

We know what Dak cant do with lesser receivers, we know what Dak still cant do with great receivers, how do we get a jump start to fixing this team within 1-2 seasons rather than hopefully building up over several seasons, by then losing whatever talent we had left at OL, RB, and possibly WR?

The offense is already stacked vs the defense in terms of cap space used, and there's no way we could expect better results on offense if those key talents are gone so what do we do?

You let Dak walk you cant pay him and have the cap space to surround him with the players he needs to be successful. You go with Dalton who will be glad to be the starter on the cheep, then you have the cap room to load up on defense.