How do you propose we fix the offensive line and entire defense if Dak gets paid?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Peyton Manning wasn't. He became one of the highest paid when he went to Denver, yet they managed to bring in weapons including DeMarcus Ware to work opposite of Von Miller. Really you think NFL QB are going to sit back and not go after these contract? Cowboy QB are the only ones in the NFL who should take the shaft because some fan thinks he is paid too much? lol Give me a break teams will continue to pay QB those who refuse can join the list of teams who are in dire need of QB and I have seen how that plays out. As BP said there is no 1-800-QB, they are not easy to find. You got a good QB pay them

Now address the short term CAP situation.

Unfortunately, we cant meet his demands for a 3 year deal (see those CAP figures) as well as plug the weaknesses and replace those leaving for free agency.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Paying Dak will not hinder it, the cap will continue to rise and what looks outrageous today tends to be middle of the road tomorrow on these contracts. Wilson getting his deal did not stop the seahawks from getting FA players so this notion oh if Dak gets paid Dallas will not have money for anyone else is a load of crap.
I'd say the cap has as good of a chance to drop than to rise at this point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Now address the short term CAP situation.

Unfortunately, we cant meet his demands for a 3 year deal (see those CAP figures) as well as plug the weaknesses and replace those leaving for free agency.

There is no deal at this time, you are putting out an imaginary contract that does not exist. We know last season he was looking at a 4 year deal, right now there are no talks going on for a deal after this season. I fully expect Dak will be QB now and in the future. I think like others Cowboys will manage their cap. It has no bearing on drafting players nor will it prevent restructuring of existing contracts.

aikemirv

Reaction score
You wouldnt need to draft a QB1.....and you fail to mention the $37.7m saved to improve the team.

As ive said i'm not a Dak hater, however, if he's looking at $35-$40m for 3 years so that he ca be a FA when the tv deal comes out we wont the short term financial short term flexibility to plug the issues with Defense and O-Line depth to contest.
Actually tired of paying people like D Lawrence and Jaylon Smith. Would have no problem paying Dak at this point because he at least shows up every week and puts his all into it.

D Lawrence had a red flag and Jerry should have been smart enough to walk away. The minute he held off surgery to get a deal he showed his character. That was the point to walk away. I actually think Jaylon is just not a good football player - he is just stupid and has no change of direction. Everson Griffith is trash and so is Poe.

I would cut both of them now and just let Anae and Gallimore play because they cant be worse.

Reggie Robinson, he plays too and Thompson is gone - cut - outta here!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
How do you fix the Defense? Through the draft with 1 or 2 vet signings. Oh, and get a real D-Coordinator.

How do you fix the online? Get healthy and find 1 or 2 guys in free agency. They don't have to be top tier, but they can't be UDFA either.

All this hand ringing over over paying the offense means the Defense will suck. But is that reality?

Question 1: Who has the best defense in football right now?

Question 2: What team has the highest amount of cap money tied up in their offensive players?

The answer to both is the Colts.

I wonder how in the heck that is possible since all we hear is that it CAN'T be done.
:huh:

It's possible because we're a fourth into the season. Let's check on all of that in December.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There is no deal at this time, you are putting out an imaginary contract that does not exist. We know last season he was looking at a 4 year deal, right now there are no talks going on for a deal after this season. I fully expect Dak will be QB now and in the future. I think like others Cowboys will manage their cap. It has no bearing on drafting players nor will it prevent restructuring of existing contracts.

So you know he was looking for a 4 year deal, ok, we'll go with that.

Therefore it will be 3 years after this one.....now look at the CAP figures and tell me how you structure the contract?

You say the Cowboys will manage their CAP:omg:....yep, in the same way they have for the last 25 years, poorly.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'd say the cap has as good of a chance to drop than to rise at this point.

Next season sure, the following season the TV contract are going up double and NFL expects to see a big increase in the cap. Again we are talking of doubling the multi billion deals. FOX and CBS are looking at 2 Billion a season for carry the NFL and ABC/ESPN 3 Billion per season, NBC around another 2 billion per season. Those number drastically change the cap as those double what the networks pay now.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
We have this overlapping issue it seems where we wasted the prime of our offensive line with Dak, including the previous group of receivers that got tossed out as well because of Romo's situation.

Now we have all the young talented receivers you could ask for but in this time the oline has fallen apart and the defense has a bunch of brandon carrs at literally every position.

We know what Dak cant do with lesser receivers, we know what Dak still cant do with great receivers, how do we get a jump start to fixing this team within 1-2 seasons rather than hopefully building up over several seasons, by then losing whatever talent we had left at OL, RB, and possibly WR?

The offense is already stacked vs the defense in terms of cap space used, and there's no way we could expect better results on offense if those key talents are gone so what do we do?

Another one that thinks that with the money saved by no Prescott that the offensive line and all the holes on defense will be all magically taken care of in 1 or 2 seasons AND that whatever QB is put in Prescott's place will be better or even as good as Prescott and good enough to win a Super Bowl. The Cowboys won't be able to turn their defense into a 2012 raven type defense in 1 or 2 year where a bus driver type QB like Dilfer will work.

I'm not saying that there are some needs on defense but this season most of the problems the defense is having comes from Nolan who without any off season programs or preseason games he installed a complicated convoluted defense that requires players to fit his scheme instead of a scheme that fits the players best ways. Nolan's defense is making the defense look like keystone cops most of the time. There has been some injuries that hasn't help but even if there wasn't any that wouldn't change the keystone look. The Cowboys brought in some players that if they ran a more conventional defense they still wouldn't be a top defense but I think they would me MUCH better than what they have been. Even on the NFL site in their What Can We Take article for last weeks games they said one must wonder about the job security of Mike Nolan.

Now to question Prescott this season is foolishness to the max. If the Cowboys let Prescott go there would be teams just ecstatic to be able to land him. No to let Prescott go and think that the Cowboys would than have a Super Bowl team in 1 or 2 seasons is nothing more than a bad dream.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So you know he was looking for a 4 year deal, ok, we'll go with that.

Therefore it will be 3 years after this one.....now look at the CAP figures and tell me how you structure the contract?

You say the Cowboys will manage their CAP:omg:....yep, in the same way they have for the last 25 years, poorly.

Based on reports of Cowboys offering up 5 year deal and Dak agent insisting on a 4 year deal. As for Cowboys managing the cap over the last several years yes they have managed their cap very well.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Actually tired of paying people like D Lawrence and Jaylon Smith. Would have no problem paying Dak at this point because he at least shows up every week and puts his all into it.

D Lawrence had a red flag and Jerry should have been smart enough to walk away. The minute he held off surgery to get a deal he showed his character. That was the point to walk away. I actually think Jaylon is just not a good football player - he is just stupid and has no change of direction. Everson Griffith is trash and so is Poe.

I would cut both of them now and just let Anae and Gallimore play because they cant be worse.

Reggie Robinson, he plays too and Thompson is gone - cut - outta here!

I hear a lot of what you say, but the problem with playing Anae and Gallimore is, similar to Diggs, you're expecting alot from a rookie playing constantly against veterans.....they hopefully they get there but they'll need a couple of years.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Based on reports of Cowboys offering up 5 year deal and Dak agent insisting on a 4 year deal. As for Cowboys managing the cap over the last several years yes they have managed their cap very well.

That's right he was asking for a 4 year deal 2020-2023.....as I said tell me how you'd manage it with the CAP figures above (they have incorporated a generous annual increase).

Still no NFCCG games and they've got under the CAP by guaranteeing money in the future (go on have a look at the CAP again).

aikemirv

Reaction score
I hear a lot of what you say, but the problem with playing Anae and Gallimore is, similar to Diggs, you're expecting alot from a rookie playing constantly against veterans.....they hopefully they get there but they'll need a couple of years.

I am not expecting a lot! I just want those sorry suckers out of there!

fansince68

Reaction score
I will take a stab at it.

Let Stephen play LG

Move Biadasz to RG and Martin to RT

Jerry now becomes the center and is able to get his "ego" massaged on every play. (Dak gets 50 million with all the savings)

Steele now becomes LT while Tyron retires to become an authority in orthopedic medicine.

Zeke becomes a FB reducing the criticism on his running style.

Jaylon, X Woods becomes dedicated tackling dummies to show them how it should be done.

Flamma

Reaction score
We have this overlapping issue it seems where we wasted the prime of our offensive line with Dak, including the previous group of receivers that got tossed out as well because of Romo's situation.

Now we have all the young talented receivers you could ask for but in this time the oline has fallen apart and the defense has a bunch of brandon carrs at literally every position.

We know what Dak cant do with lesser receivers, we know what Dak still cant do with great receivers, how do we get a jump start to fixing this team within 1-2 seasons rather than hopefully building up over several seasons, by then losing whatever talent we had left at OL, RB, and possibly WR?

The offense is already stacked vs the defense in terms of cap space used, and there's no way we could expect better results on offense if those key talents are gone so what do we do?

To tell you the truth, Dallas would be in trouble no matter what quarterback they signed. The cap situation is going to be bad next year. And unless they get this D problem fixed, what's the point?

The cap is probably going down next year. At best stay the same. If you project to next season by looking at current contacts and minus probable retired players, Cowboys will be hard pressed to stay under the cap without including Dak. Let alone improve the defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

What we do know is dak Makes you look dumb nearly every week now.

this thread is evidence that its still eating you up inside.

Eanwen

Reaction score
You wouldnt need to draft a QB1.....and you fail to mention the $37.7m saved to improve the team.

As ive said i'm not a Dak hater, however, if he's looking at $35-$40m for 3 years so that he ca be a FA when the tv deal comes out we wont the short term financial short term flexibility to plug the issues with Defense and O-Line depth to contest.

Hold up. This plan involves not getting a qb1? :huh:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's right he was asking for a 4 year deal 2020-2023.....as I said tell me how you'd manage it with the CAP figures above (they have incorporated a generous annual increase).

Still no NFCCG games and they've got under the CAP by guaranteeing money in the future (go on have a look at the CAP again).
Peyton Manning played under the cap was one of the highest paid FA by Denver and won a SB. Granted AFC but fact is teams will pay QB that is just fact, those who don't better hope like hell they find one the hardest position to fill. Those who have no desire to resign Dak nothing I say will change their views however no one will convince me that letting a top QB go is a good move.

lostar2009

Reaction score
If we can't score then we in the same boat. We need a good DC who can help our guys out.