How does this team move forward?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Football talk, hooooooah!

Retain Bland, Gilmore, and Diggs at the starting corners.
Add a strong running back in free agency.
Get a unit at defensive tackle that stops the run. (I would not hesitate to take Donaldson, here and now)
Add a dominant linebacker with the return of the two present IR linebackers.

Change defensive coordinator and offensive line coaches.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Addressing all those issues will most likely take a couple offseasons. MM is basically a lame duck coach, along with his staff. He's gonna have a hard time filling any empty positions without any job security beyond 1 season. Having a coaching staff that's iffy beyond the upcoming season makes it difficult to get FAs who feel they might not fit in the next regime. Add in a rumored huge contract for Dak, and this season could be disappointing.

Call me a bandwagon fan if you wish, but Jones has created a set of circumstances that will be hard for any team to overcome. Can it be? Yes. Is it likely? That remains to be seen.
We put more hurdles for success in front of our team than any other franchise.
It's maddening.

rambo2

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank @NEODOG for posting a thoughtful question without bashing someone, or everyone. Looking at the threads of late, it’s a rarity.

Now to your question of ”How does this team move forward?” We al know there are a myriad of problems. Weak defensive line, weak offensive line, safeties playing as line backers, can’t stop the run, can’t run the ball, stupid mental penalties throughout the year, bad clock management(Detroit game), inability to handle the elements(Bills game), Dak not running enough, bad defensive and offensive play calling and I could go on a bit more.

How do you fix it?

I don’t care how they address these needs be it draft, free agency or trades.

#1 need is beef up both the DT’s and LB’s. You’ll never win in the playoffs if your defense cannot stop the run. That’s a fact. There are of course some one offs, but consistently you will not win.

#2 need is to improve the talent at center. Biadiaz would be a decent backup for any team. But he gets bulldozed more often than not. The best way to defense any QB is to get pressure up the middle. He allows that.

#3 Get Derrick Henry or a Henry type back. You want to establish the run? Get you a Henry type back.

#4 Get a new, tough defensive coordinator. We’ve seen that the “bend but don’t break” defensive philosophy doesn’t work with both Marinelli and now Quinn.

IMHO, this is how the team moves forward. Do this, and despite Jerry, and his country club atmosphere, they can go all the way.
Right on the money.

Blitzen

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank @NEODOG for posting a thoughtful question without bashing someone, or everyone. Looking at the threads of late, it’s a rarity.

Now to your question of ”How does this team move forward?” We al know there are a myriad of problems. Weak defensive line, weak offensive line, safeties playing as line backers, can’t stop the run, can’t run the ball, stupid mental penalties throughout the year, bad clock management(Detroit game), inability to handle the elements(Bills game), Dak not running enough, bad defensive and offensive play calling and I could go on a bit more.

How do you fix it?

#1 need is beef up both the DT’s and LB’s. You’ll never win in the playoffs if your defense cannot stop the run. That’s a fact. There are of course some one offs, but consistently you will not win.

#2 need is to improve the talent at center. Biadiaz would be a decent backup for any team. But he gets bulldozed more often than not. The best way to defense any QB is to get pressure up the middle. He allows that.

#3 Get Derrick Henry or a Henry type back. You want to establish the run? Get you a Henry type back.

#4 Get a new, tough defensive coordinator. We’ve seen that the “bend but don’t break” defensive philosophy doesn’t work with both Marinelli and now Quinn.

IMHO, this is how the team moves forward. Do this, and despite Jerry, and his country club atmosphere, they can go all the way.
I think that the team must also address the biggest issue facing the offense as well. How can they get Dak to believe in himself, stay calm/cool in big stakes games, and go through his progressions and deliver the ball even when about to get hit or while getting hit?

Jordan Love did it repetitively against Dallas, and did it pretty well vs SF today too (Brock Purdy had a terrible game but did just enough).

CCBoy

Reaction score
Brandon: Dan Quinn’s return to Dallas will be up to him, like last season and the one before. The Cowboys expect Quinn to come back as defensive coordinator if he doesn’t leave for a head coaching position. Quinn is in the middle of another interviewing cycle, with five franchises looking at him as their next head coach.

Those interviews should be concluded this week, but these things are on their timeline. I think it’s essential for Quinn to return, if he wants to, considering how much stock was put into last season’s draft class and where this defense is at in their development.

There’s no question things would need to change with how the defense approaches their linebacker position and run defense, but Quinn should be given one more season to see it through before someone else comes in to change it all up.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ensive-coordinator-dan-quinn-player-contracts

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

How do you fix it?

just like 2007, 2010, 2014 and 2016 and so on. this team has been choking for 30 years. couple of more of Dak years. then Lance and fans take side. and same results.

this is as good as it gets for the cowboys. that's it.

why? it starts at the top. all the talk. all the BS. two players had a pep rally party the night before the game? WHY? WHY? WHY? two players planned a victory party. all of that tells me there was no focus. they took it for granted. they drank their own koolaid. thinking, hey we play at home and we always win at home. we always come through. they didn't look prepared. they were shell shocked. they choked.

and this is character of this team. all a show. just talk. just like the owner. it starts at the top.

I blame everyone in this organization.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Some players though seem a bit more obvious to let go... Guys like Tony Pollard, Michael Gallup and Tyron Smith seem like they have had their time in Dallas and the front will look to find their replacement this offseason. But again, it’s body of work as apposed to their Wild Card performance.

However, what’s been pointed out by many who cover the team is that Stephon Gilmore’s shoulder injury seemed to change Dallas’ entire defense. They preferred to play more zone coverage to help Gilmore with potential limitations. That adjustment surrounding just one player cost Dallas dearly in the game. The Cowboys’ defense was a unit that played most of the season in man coverage, so deviating from it in the playoffs didn’t make sense. The 2023 team had a chance to be special, but they over-complicated things, which cost them the game. That’s why keeping the team together in 2024 is crucial because they need to remember who they are and what made them great in the first place.

Simple answer, they let the pressure beat them.
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ensive-coordinator-dan-quinn-player-contracts

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
With a funeral and a change in ownership.

That may sound cruel but it was Jerry Jones who said he will never give up the GM position. That's the same thing as saying he will be the GM so long as he is alive.

The issue, which is 27 years old, is the GM position. Therefore, under the circumstances, my original statement is the only alternative.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

How do you fix it?

All good points, and i would add also a great OL coach, one who would implement great blocking schemes with emphasis on the run and disciplined, error free, smart OL. But all this begins with Jerry not meddling. If he wants to act like he's in charge of accumulating talent that is fine, but get the heck out of the way when it comes to practice, schemes, coaching and discipline.

leeblair

Reaction score

How do you fix it?

It's really sad that you can find so much bad about a team that won 12 games for three years in a row.
And every year they go home early when the quarterback chokes .
It's pretty obvious where the problem is.
You weren't complaining about any of these issues when the Cowboys were beating up on weak teams. You couldn't wait to come here and brag on this team. Yet the Cowboys get into the playoffs and their supposed star quarterback gives the opposing team 14 points while providing none for his own,
And you're complaining about everyone else.
Grow up, Tad!
You do reveal a lot about your brother's maturity level, though.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
Some players though seem a bit more obvious to let go... Guys like Tony Pollard, Michael Gallup and Tyron Smith seem like they have had their time in Dallas and the front will look to find their replacement this offseason. But again, it’s body of work as apposed to their Wild Card performance.

However, what’s been pointed out by many who cover the team is that Stephon Gilmore’s shoulder injury seemed to change Dallas’ entire defense. They preferred to play more zone coverage to help Gilmore with potential limitations. That adjustment surrounding just one player cost Dallas dearly in the game. The Cowboys’ defense was a unit that played most of the season in man coverage, so deviating from it in the playoffs didn’t make sense. The 2023 team had a chance to be special, but they over-complicated things, which cost them the game. That’s why keeping the team together in 2024 is crucial because they need to remember who they are and what made them great in the first place.

Simple answer, they let the pressure beat them.
I don’t quite understand that myself I mean gilly was a godsend this year but if he was so badly hurt they had to change everything why play

Is wright that bad?

Blackrain

Reaction score
Well let's see how do we move forward how about if we get rid of the stupid penalties we have some discipline accountability and change our culture
Then we establish a running game by drafting running backs and offensive lineman instead of tight ends
Then let's come up with a plan to stop the run by acquiring some real defensive tackles and stop playing safeties at linebacker.

I don't know if we have anybody in the franchise that it can accomplish all that we certainly haven't up to now.

Or what's easier is we hire Bill belichick

And let him handle it because he has proved that he can build teams that not only go to but win super bowls.
But that would be too easy Jerry will struggle along and do it his way and keep us three players and a coach short of being able to get somewhere in the postseason

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don’t quite understand that myself I mean gilly was a godsend this year but if he was so badly hurt they had to change everything why play

Is wright that bad?
He gave it the old college try. A lot Pros want to put it on the line once in the playoffs. That part, plain and simple, is pride.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well let's see how do we move forward how about if we get rid of the stupid penalties we have some discipline accountability and change our culture
Then we establish a running game by drafting running backs and offensive lineman instead of tight ends
Then let's come up with a plan to stop the run by acquiring some real defensive tackles and stop playing safeties at linebacker.

I don't know if we have anybody in the franchise that it can accomplish all that we certainly haven't up to now.

Or what's easier is we hire Bill belichick

And let him handle it because he has proved that he can build teams that not only go to but win super bowls.
But that would be too easy Jerry will struggle along and do it his way and keep us three players and a coach short of being able to get somewhere in the postseason
C'mon, Jerry is no box of rocks...this isn't Cuba and Castro stealing Mafia monies.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"We all know there are a myriad of problems." - Guy who expects them to win every game every year.