How far are we away?

Verdict

Reaction score
This is a legitimate question. How far are we away from contending? What do we need at a minimum to have a chance of winning a super bowl?

I think we need:

1 starting lb, 1 backup lb.
2. RT-- move Collins back to guard. Keep Cooper as depth
3. Get rid of Dez -- high cap, low performance, head case, problematic
4. Get rid of Witten. Either make Hanna the answer or draft one
5. Draft a TRUE 1 Tech
6. Get a backup RB.
7. Draft or get a safety--After today I'm ready to move on from Jones. I haven't been on that wagon until today.

canters

Reaction score
And don’t forget sometimes luck is a factor as it was with our overall health last year that made it easy to overrate the talent we had on hand. I wish we could draft LUCK.

If we end up 5-11, I can see JJ firing JG. That would help.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a legitimate question. How far are we away from contending? What do we need at a minimum to have a chance of winning a super bowl?

I think we need:

5. Draft a TRUE 1 Tech
6. Get a backup RB.
7. Draft or get a safety--After today I'm ready to move on from Jones. I haven't been on that wagon until today.

A coaching staff away.

It's not about the players, it's about these coaches.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
I don't think we're as far as it feels right now. Linebacker and safety are glaring weaknesses along with depth in various places, but I think firing Garrett, being more aggressive in free agency, and a high/mid round draft position could go a long way.

Sydla

Reaction score
Far.

1) Most importantly, we need a competent coaching staff. Don't fix this and you are just wasting your time and efforts on draft picks and FA under this mediocre coaching staff.
2) RT or OG. If you can find a legit RT, then Collins can go back to OG. If you find or draft a legit OG, Collins has shown enough to stay at RT IMO.
3) Stop with the cheap FA route at the 1 tech. Go sign one or draft a legitimate 1 tech. Enough with these undertalented bums Marinelli loves.
4) They need a legit CB. I like the rookies but Scandrick and Brown have to go.
5) Need at least 2 LBs.
6) TE.
7) S

I am not ready to throw Dak out but he has to be given a legitimate coaching staff, not this crap one.

kevm3

Reaction score
we're a coaching staff away. We're not winning with Garrett period. How many more years does this guy need? 20 more years so we can find the 'next piece'? The Rams have a 1st year coach that completely turned around that team and Peterson has the Eagles looking like super bowl contenders in year 2. As long as we keep Garrett, we'll always be talking about 'that missing piece', which we've been talking about for years here. It was why we got Claiborne, because we were 'missing that CB' and the O line, because we didn't give Romo an o line. and Zeke, because we were missing the running game murray brought us.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its starting to hit me that no matter what we do......we could have a All Pro team...and we would still come up short.

As long as Jerry is owner...this trend will continue. It may even get worse now. He's upsetting the NFL and owners? Should I believe its a coincidence that our defensive lineman hasn't had holding called on them in weeks?

ilykdrama

Reaction score
2015 was closest. We’re not gonna be. Ack around there for a second. Dak and receivers can’t take pressure off of Zeke. Lee can stay on field. Tyron has a CHRONIC back issue. Team’s done for a while.

Last edited:

bsbellomy

Reaction score

I think we need:

5. Draft a TRUE 1 Tech
6. Get a backup RB.

We also need better backup lineman. One injury to your LT shouldn't destroy your whole offense.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I think of it more like those signs at work that say "It's been ____________ since someone has been hurt." Well, it's been 22 years since we've been truly happy. :banghead:

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
As long as we have this version of Dak the defense will have to be at least top 10 to compete.

To me I would draft

1st round - MLB
2nd - 1 Tech (6’4 320 LBs)
3rd - RE (Keep doing it every year until you find a keeper)
4th - Speed WR
4th - RB
5th - Another Hitchens type LB
5th on down - BPA

I don’t know which FAs will be available but i wouldn’t mind doing what NE does and trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for proven vet.