How far are we away?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need 4 to 5 new defensive starters as well.

Of course a better coaching staff would recognize that and not allow the front office to saddle them with Nolan Carroll's, Anthony Brown's, Jeff Heath's, no real 1Tech, slow linebackers, etc.

Exactly. You fix one issue (coaches) and the rest start to get sorted out.

But I honestly think a good coaching staff can win with the players on this roster today. Maybe not a Super Bowl, but not 5-5, and certainly make the playoffs.

I think people would be amazed with how good these players suddenly looked in better schemes.

gmoney112

Reaction score
It's hard to say.

Our offense shouldn't fall apart losing an All Pro LT, but the Eagles do have a dominant front. It looks like this may be an ongoing issue through Tyron's career.

Our defense still can't hold a decent offense for 4 quarters, which is hard to do in 2017, but defense is still 50% of the game. It just falls apart with Lee out.

We'll prob spend some money this off-season, so I imagine some decent talent next year, but who knows.

Fontaine

Reaction score
I think top priority is a LB, then safety...after that, DT and backup RB. Like mentioned earlier I don’t think we’re that far off. We’re missing a pro bowl LT, pro bowl RB and pro bowl LB, any team would be hurting missing those guys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think top priority is a LB, then safety...after that, DT and backup RB. Like mentioned earlier I don’t think we’re that far off. We’re missing a pro bowl LT, pro bowl RB and pro bowl LB, any team would be hurting missing those guys.

The team that thrashed us last night lost their starters at those same positions.

And did I mention that they thrashed us last night?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I can't help but to think that this is it for him anyway. He stuck around because he thought they had a shot after 13-3 and found out just the opposite.

I hope so. Love the guy and what he represents on and off the field but we can't keep running a charity case here and handing out contracts based on what they did in the past for us. The Patriots do it the right way. They give out contracts in their prime and replace them after and keep the train moving. We give out contracts based on past performance and they play most of it past their prime.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a legitimate question. How far are we away from contending? What do we need at a minimum to have a chance of winning a super bowl?

I think we need:

1 starting lb, 1 backup lb.
2. RT-- move Collins back to guard. Keep Cooper as depth
3. Get rid of Dez -- high cap, low performance, head case, problematic
4. Get rid of Witten. Either make Hanna the answer or draft one
5. Draft a TRUE 1 Tech
6. Get a backup RB.
7. Draft or get a safety--After today I'm ready to move on from Jones. I haven't been on that wagon until today.

lost me right there

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Need Wrs and a TE in the worst way. And no. Noah Brown isn't the answer. Or Brice Butler.

Noah Brown > Terrance Williams

Unfortunately, TW just got re-upped so there's no way Red will drop him down the depth chart even though he's good for 2-3 drops/game. NB catches the ball w/ his hands, is a big bodied receiver and can jump through the roof. In addition, Noah Brown & Dez are the two best blocking WRs on this team. You can't say he's not the answer when he hasn't been given enough downs to warrant being in the question. See what I did there? LOL

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I think of it more like those signs at work that say "It's been ____________ since someone has been hurt." Well, it's been 22 years since we've been truly happy. :banghead:

Lifelong fan since the 60's saw the no hope, can't win the big one teams. Saw the Doomsday D, and the miracles of Rodger S... Cheered on Danny White who lost NFC championships, and but for a horse collar tackle on Drew Pearson would have overcome the " Catch"

Suffered through the doldrums of find me a QB, till Aikman came along. Watched him get destroyed by the Eagles with 11 sacks.... Finally Jimmy J bolstered the" WHOLE" team ( rant intended ) with speed , tackling ability, and a mix of slants etc on O coupled with a tenacious D that
exceeds Philly of today. Safeties that could intercept passes......

Celebrated our SB wins, and grittiness of those teams. Took a wounded Emmitt and a FG in NY to get to a championship. There were some close calls but we prevailed

Now we are mired in hope that a few pieces are missing now , and that would make a difference.

Sadly coming to the reality that we are too predictable and teams just hang around till we break down on one side of the ball to close us out .....

Glory Days have passed us by ( Bruce Springsteen )

mahoneybill

Reaction score

Unfortunately, TW just got re-upped so there's no way Red will drop him down the depth chart even though he's good for 2-3 drops/game. NB catches the ball w/ his hands, is a big bodied receiver and can jump through the roof. In addition, Noah Brown & Dez are the two best blocking WRs on this team. You can't say he's not the answer when he hasn't been given enough downs to warrant being in the question. See what I did there? LOL

Get Brown and Butler on the field and see what they have to offer..... Butler to go deep, and Brown to run some slants. Dez can run his Dig route, and stop the sideline passes to him. Long time since he came down with one where it wasn't the result of a broken play.....

bysbox1

Reaction score
This team needs way more than just a few pieces. We keep putting band aids on the problems that really need a tourniquet.

This is wishful thinking, but . . .

First Jerry has to realize he made a mistake. He really needs an intervention. I wonder if Stephen Jones has the guts to do it. I doubt it.

Once Jerry realizes he has a problem and gets to ego rehab, then they need a GM that can restructure our front office. Stephen can still work contracts, but they need change. And that includes scouting.

Then let the GM put input into gutting and changing the staff. No more Garrett, no more retread HC's for coordinators, no more nostalgia players from the good ole days on your staff unless they have the skill set to work within the coach and system being brought in. And that means letting the new HC pick his coaches.

If an only if these things occur will we get back to prominence. Until then anything else is just a waste of time and false hope.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
It's hard to say.

Our offense shouldn't fall apart losing an All Pro LT, but the Eagles do have a dominant front. It looks like this may be an ongoing issue through Tyron's career.

Our defense still can't hold a decent offense for 4 quarters, which is hard to do in 2017, but defense is still 50% of the game. It just falls apart with Lee out.

We'll prob spend some money this off-season, so I imagine some decent talent next year, but who knows.

Thats the problem. Its always next year and the rest of the league gets better. Also we are just good enough to sniff .500 whereas teams like San Fran who looked like they were returning to the 90's version have tanked even further.....

Throw in the Giants of this year, and its easy to see where being .500 with built in excuses of starters missing will get us more of the same.

Jimmy Johnson was dealt a worse starting hand, but slowly build a team with real depth on all sides....... We need a coach who just doesn't live on those memories, but actually learned from it and replicates that " total team" formula.

To think we ran for way over the rushing yards the Birds have given up all year , and lost due to no TD's is unbearable, as is giving up all the 2 pointers that Philly was in essence forced to try.....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dez is not a good blocking WR. He has the ability but he does not consistently give effort in blocking.

Noah Brown was the best college blocking WR that I've ever seen.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agreed. And Jerry could acually save the league if he could just stop being such a p-word and bring in a real coach that knows how to win like Harbaugh that wasn’t busy scratching Jerry’s belly all day like a beagle. Dallas fans make up more of the fan base by a lot and would spend more and watch more if we thought the owner actually gave a crap about winning.

Actually, there is something we can do about it. Who would have thought 3-4 years ago that the NFL fans as a whole, would stop going to games and watching games? I would have told you that you were nuts. It's happening and the NFL is feeling it big time. If it can be done on an NFL level, why can't it be done on a team level here in Dallas?

Sydla

Reaction score
Get Brown and Butler on the field and see what they have to offer..... Butler to go deep, and Brown to run some slants. Dez can run his Dig route, and stop the sideline passes to him. Long time since he came down with one where it wasn't the result of a broken play.....

I'd like to see more of Brown as well.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This the new NFL....... no one is far away

We are the 3rd youngest team with 10 draft picks and 50m in cap space