How far are we away?

Gaede

Reaction score
Said this during the draft as well: WR is a huge need.

Dez gets us ~60 yds a game. On a good day. Williams disappears for 4 games a time. The other guys are scrubs.

We need a legit wr who can run all the routes.

And we also need a young te who can run.

And most of all, we need an offense that isn’t this outdated 90s crap. Linehan calls the plays but it’s Garretts system. He needs to go

tm1119

Reaction score
3 new coaches
A starting MLB
At least 1 starting S
At least 1 starting CB
A starting 1 tech
O line depth
Figure out who/what we have in passing game weapons

I’d say we are pretty far....

OldCoach

Reaction score
Needs for early picks next year.
1. 1 Technique- can probably address in rounds 2-4
2. Starting caliber LB- early round pick needed. Smith was actually pretty good last night, but needs consistency. Lee is an excellent part timer.
3. Starting caliber Tackle- I hope we can depend on Tyron's back. If so Collins has flexibility to move around. He has done well at RT.
4. A true deep threat.

Swanny

Reaction score
This is a legitimate question. How far are we away from contending? What do we need at a minimum to have a chance of winning a super bowl?

I think we need:

1 starting lb, 1 backup lb.
2. RT-- move Collins back to guard. Keep Cooper as depth
3. Get rid of Dez -- high cap, low performance, head case, problematic
4. Get rid of Witten. Either make Hanna the answer or draft one
5. Draft a TRUE 1 Tech
6. Get a backup RB.
7. Draft or get a safety--After today I'm ready to move on from Jones. I haven't been on that wagon until today.
Why get rid of Witten? Just draft his replacement

Satchel89

Reaction score
I got called a fair-weathered fan yesterday because I didn't watch the game which is ridiculous. I've been watching this team for 35 years. I just hate the Eagles. I can't stand watching them having any success and their fans are the worst. I just personally would like a new coach but that's not going to happen. I feel like Garrett always seems to get a pass but there's players on this team that aren't showing up. I really like Dak but he's not the same QB without Zeke. They need some new receivers. This receiving group doesn't scare anyone. I've been defending Dez all year but he's not showing up. Terrance really is the Body-Catcher. I love Beasley obviously, But he hasn't been good. Anthony Brown and Byron Jones have been terrible. But also back to Garrett, The second half what do we get for adjustments? We get clapping. I hate just doing a knee jerk reaction and say replace everyone but I'm so tired of the rollercoaster. One good year and then the next year is bad and I'm sick of watching that insanity. I've stuck with this team and defended these players at nauseum and I'm not doing it anymore. Can we get at least 2 good years in a row? Is that too much to ask?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This is a legitimate question. How far are we away from contending? What do we need at a minimum to have a chance of winning a super bowl?

I think we need:

1 starting lb, 1 backup lb.
2. RT-- move Collins back to guard. Keep Cooper as depth
3. Get rid of Dez -- high cap, low performance, head case, problematic
4. Get rid of Witten. Either make Hanna the answer or draft one
5. Draft a TRUE 1 Tech
6. Get a backup RB.
7. Draft or get a safety--After today I'm ready to move on from Jones. I haven't been on that wagon until today.

Develop a championship caliber defense. The notion that we can ball control around them or simply outscore opponents on a regular basis hasn't worked - ask Tony Romo - and won't work. The current coaching staff aren't the guys to do it.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Need Wrs and a TE in the worst way. And no. Noah Brown isn't the answer. Or Brice Butler.

Verdict

Reaction score
Why get rid of Witten? Just draft his replacement

Because his cap hit will choke a horse. If you keep this coaching staff Witten must go because they let him play every down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's time to move on from Witten or vastly diminish his role. We need a TE that can stretch the field. Witten can barely move better than a corpse. Sure he can catch anything but his value to this offense compared to his salary is not doing much anymore.

I can't help but to think that this is it for him anyway. He stuck around because he thought they had a shot after 13-3 and found out just the opposite.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this team is not even competitive much less in the playoff hunt to mention cowboys and superbowl in the same breath is silly until major changes are made in coaches and players and fo things will only get worse

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Actually, there is something we can do about it. Who would have thought 3-4 years ago that the NFL fans as a whole, would stop going to games and watching games? I would have told you that you were nuts. It's happening
Actually, there is something we can do about it. Who would have thought 3-4 years ago that the NFL fans as a whole, would stop going to games and watching games? I would have told you that you were nuts. It's happening and the NFL is feeling it big time. If it can be done on an NFL level, why can't it be done on a team level here in Dallas?
14-5-DAL-Jerry.gif

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Because his cap hit will choke a horse. If you keep this coaching staff Witten must go because they let him play every down.

No drafting his replacement-would be a waste of a pick.

Sign a guy for peanuts and use him.

Sydla

Reaction score

His cap hit is only $6.5MM next year and we can cut him for no dead money. Get him to restructure. He's valuable to have back, at least as a mentor, at a lower number.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not a cap hit decision. His 2018 cap number is just 6.5M.

Your 2nd point is the issue. Garrett will keep playing him 100% of the snaps as long as he is on the team.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Sold his soul for those superbowls...or so he joked.

So we need to wait for Jerry to pass on and Stephen to sell his soul. o_O:p

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Here is my issue ...we have a league full of parity. Every year a new 4-5 teams go from bad to playoffs. Yet for the past two decades not only have we not taken advantage of this but we’ve barely been successful looking at playoff wins. So my answer is FAR because we have a system and coaching staff built to fail in the current environment

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A coaching staff away.

It's not about the players, it's about these coaches.

They need 4 to 5 new defensive starters as well.

Of course a better coaching staff would recognize that and not allow the front office to saddle them with Nolan Carroll's, Anthony Brown's, Jeff Heath's, no real 1Tech, slow linebackers, etc.