How Garrett got into Princeton (and Columbia)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
being able to jump between schools like that is gaming the system.
top ivy league students cannot do that.

No, being able to do that just shows how valued good athletes are at those institutions. Princeton is just like other schools in that it has to compete for athletes, but the Ivy League schools are more handcuffed by their admission standards, which makes them more apt to make "exceptions" to standard procedure in order to get those athletes.

All Garrett transferring back to Princeton shows is that Princeton wanted him back.

waldoputty

Reaction score
No, being able to do that just shows how valued good athletes are at those institutions. Princeton is just like other schools in that it has to compete for athletes, but the Ivy League schools are more handcuffed by their admission standards, which makes them more apt to make "exceptions" to standard procedure in order to get those athletes.

All Garrett transferring back to Princeton shows is that Princeton wanted him back.

no self-respecting ivy league school will take someone back after they left them.
there is pride in the school being special.
i am actually quite disappointed a top-3 ivy would do that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
no self-respecting ivy league school will take someone back after they left them.
there is pride in the school being special.
i am actually quite disappointed a top-3 ivy would do that.

So is this about your belief that Princeton is above such things?

Garrett had to sit out a year after transferring back to Princeton, then became the school's starting quarterback

This is what his wiki bio says about his time there:

"He finished his college career completing 366 of 550 passes (66.5%) for 4,274 yards and 20 touchdowns. At the time he was ranked in the categories: lowest pass interception percentage (1.8% – school record), total yards of offense (4,555 – second in school history), total yards of offense in a season (2,485 third in school history), most passing yards (4,274 – second in school history), most passing yards in a season (2,217–- fourth in school history), most completions (366 – second in school history), most completions in a season (204 – third in school history), most touchdown passes (20 – tied for fourth). He continues to hold the Ivy League career record for completion percentage with 66.5% (366–550) and his 1988 percentage of 68.2% (204–299) stood as the league record until 2000, when Gavin Hoffman posted a 70.5% mark."

You may believe there is "pride in the school being special," but coaches know they need talent to win games and to keep their jobs. Princeton wanted Garrett because he met its academic standards (for athletes) and because of what it believed he could do for its football team. Pride may be all that kept the coaches off their hands and knees begging him not to leave and then begging him to come back ... and they may even have done that because it meant getting a starting quarterback for their team who went on to set multiple records.

waldoputty

Reaction score
So is this about your belief that Princeton is above such things?

Garrett had to sit out a year after transferring back to Princeton, then became the school's starting quarterback

This is what his wiki bio says about his time there:

"He finished his college career completing 366 of 550 passes (66.5%) for 4,274 yards and 20 touchdowns. At the time he was ranked in the categories: lowest pass interception percentage (1.8% – school record), total yards of offense (4,555 – second in school history), total yards of offense in a season (2,485 third in school history), most passing yards (4,274 – second in school history), most passing yards in a season (2,217–- fourth in school history), most completions (366 – second in school history), most completions in a season (204 – third in school history), most touchdown passes (20 – tied for fourth). He continues to hold the Ivy League career record for completion percentage with 66.5% (366–550) and his 1988 percentage of 68.2% (204–299) stood as the league record until 2000, when Gavin Hoffman posted a 70.5% mark."

You may believe there is "pride in the school being special," but coaches know they need talent to win games and to keep their jobs. Princeton wanted Garrett because he met its academic standards (for athletes) and because of what it believed he could do for its football team. Pride may be all that kept the coaches off their hands and knees begging him not to leave and then begging him to come back ... and they may even have done that because it meant getting a starting quarterback for their team who went on to set multiple records.

coaches r not in admissions. the coaches probably had to pull strings to get him back in. what self-respecting school official wants the school to be treated like a revolving door.

and i dont think athletics provide anywhere near the same type of revenues that it does for big time athletic programs. we r talking garrett, not john elway at stanford.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
for those who think garrett was smart enough to get into princeton, here is a little history:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Garrett#College_career):
"Garrett was accepted to Princeton, where he began as the starting quarterback of the freshman team, registering 64 completions on 116 attempts for 996 yards. He transferred to Columbia University when his father, Jim Garrett became the head coach in 1985. Following his father's resignation after Columbia's 0–10 1985 season, he and his brothers (Judd and John) transferred to Princeton University, although none played varsity in 1986 for different reasons (Jason was an ineligible transfer)."

it is extremely rare for someone to transfer out of an ivy league school and then transfer back into the same school.

so he is able to leverage his football skills and his father's connections into hopping around ivy league colleges. so he learned how to play politics at a young age. not your 'average' scholarly princeton student.
Right!

The entire family is intelligent. I’m sure they have been dumbed down some over the years being around football players and coaches . Lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being a good football coach requires more than book intelligence. There are intangible qualities that make some leaders of men. The ability to understand how to motivate players from widely different backgrounds, teach, and inspire to greatness are all attributes that distinguish the great coaches from the mediocre ones. Garret is guy that rose through the coaching ranks despite a lack of success and largely on his ability to get his superiors to like him.
I don't think the players respect him in the same way Landry's players respected him or Johnson's players respected him. Garret is more like a buddy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Being a good football coach requires more than book intelligence. There are intangible qualities that make some leaders of men. The ability to understand how to motivate players from widely different backgrounds, teach, and inspire to greatness are all attributes that distinguish the great coaches from the mediocre ones. Garret is guy that rose through the coaching ranks despite a lack of success and largely on his ability to get his superiors to like him.
I don't think the players respect him in the same way Landry's players respected him or Johnson's players respected him. Garret is more like a buddy.
We can’t compare Garrett to greats like Tom or Jimmy.

He was named “ the future of the Dallas Cowboys” with only 2 years as a QB coach. Lol

How ridiculous is that. Totally unprecedented to my knowledge.

And how could the players respect him like others without the final say or more control in personnel decisions? Garrett is a puppet for Jethro and Son.

And I’d argue the best they’ve had. Had as much or more success than others before him in the “Puppet” era.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can’t compare Garrett to greats like Tom or Jimmy.

He was named “ the future of the Dallas Cowboys” with only 2 years as a QB coach. Lol

How ridiculous is that. Totally unprecedented to my knowledge.

And how could the players respect him like others without the final say or more control in personnel decisions? Garrett is a puppet for Jethro and Son.

And I’d argue the best they’ve had. Had as much or more success than others before him in the “Puppet” era.

Uh no. The best HC Dallas has had since Johnson is Parcels who was no puppet. What he did with a team that finished 5-11 3 straight years and rebuilding the roster and coaching staff is more impressive than anything Garret has done.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Uh no. The best HC Dallas has had since Johnson is Parcels who was no puppet. What he did with a team that finished 5-11 3 straight years and rebuilding the roster and coaching staff is more impressive than anything Garret has done.
I’d agree but I said any better results.

The bigger point is even with a greater HC the results weren’t even better.

Because the root to the weed is deeper than the HC.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d agree but I said any better results.

The bigger point is even with a greater HC the results weren’t even better.

Because the root to the weed is deeper than the HC.

Results? Garret has 1 playoff win in his first 7 seasons. His results are terrible............and he started with a pro bowl cailiber starting QB. Parcels had Quincy Carter, Testerverde, Bledsoe............and it was a mess at the QB position as he built the defense and OL. His one error was sitting on Romo too long. That 2007 team was loaded with 11 pro bowlers none of which were acquired by Garret or Wade. They inherited a loaded ship and sunk it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Results? Garret has 1 playoff win in his first 7 seasons. His results are terrible............and he started with a pro bowl cailiber starting QB. Parcels had Quincy Carter, Testerverde, Bledsoe............and it was a mess at the QB position as he built the defense and OL. His one error was sitting on Romo too long. That 2007 team was loaded with 11 pro bowlers none of which were acquired by Garret or Wade. They inherited a loaded ship and sunk it.
Again did Parcells or Wade win more playoff games? Win more divisions ?

I agree Wade sunk the ship Bill built.

I’d say Bills mistake was not drafting a QB.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again did Parcells or Wade win more playoff games? Win more divisions ?

I agree Wade sunk the ship Bill built.

I’d say Bills mistake was not drafting a QB.

Bill hates young Qb's which is why he was bringing in all those retreads and hesitated playing Romo. . Parcels in Dallas is a perfect example of how raw stats don't tell the real story. Anyone who credits those 13 wins in 2007 to Wade wasn't paying attention. Its just like the folks who credit Switzer for the 95' super bowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bill hates young Qb's which is why he was bringing in all those retreads and hesitated playing Romo. . Parcels in Dallas is a perfect example of how raw stats don't tell the real story. Anyone who credits those 13 wins in 2007 to Wade wasn't paying attention. Its just like the folks who credit Switzer for the 95' super bowl.
I agree.

I still think Bill made a mistake not drafting a QB instead bringing in washed up veterans from his old teams.

ghst187

Reaction score
It’s interesting because a huge part of the constant narrative of JJ supporters (which include JJ and some in the media) is that “well he’s smart because he’s a Princeton guy”.
Well turns out that it’s quite possible that “he’s a Princeton guy” merely because he played football and had his dad as a connection to get him in.
Not that I ever bought into the whole Ivy League garbage, met plenty not worth anything, but a lot of folks still put stock into it.
Clearly, Princeton does not do a good job of teaching how to be a head football coach and both JG and JJ should ask for refunds.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
for those who think garrett was smart enough to get into princeton, here is a little history:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Garrett#College_career):
"Garrett was accepted to Princeton, where he began as the starting quarterback of the freshman team, registering 64 completions on 116 attempts for 996 yards. He transferred to Columbia University when his father, Jim Garrett became the head coach in 1985. Following his father's resignation after Columbia's 0–10 1985 season, he and his brothers (Judd and John) transferred to Princeton University, although none played varsity in 1986 for different reasons (Jason was an ineligible transfer)."

it is extremely rare for someone to transfer out of an ivy league school and then transfer back into the same school.

so he is able to leverage his football skills and his father's connections into hopping around ivy league colleges. so he learned how to play politics at a young age. not your 'average' scholarly princeton student.

Interesting read. Explains how he's an Ivy League grad.