How Garrett got into Princeton (and Columbia)

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
u dont have to read it at all.

Oh quite contrary, I like to marvel at the level of stupidity shown at times on all message boards. It amazes me what some people come up with. Hats off to you, this is a new level I have not seen before! Congrats.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Oh quite contrary, I like to marvel at the level of stupidity shown at times on all message boards. It amazes me what some people come up with. Hats off to you, this is a new level I have not seen before! Congrats.

will wonders never cease.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, let’s find more ways to **** on Garrett. Why not.

Did you know he eats cold hot pockets STRAIGHT FROM THE FREEZER?!?!?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, let’s find more ways to **** on Garrett. Why not.

Did you know he eats cold hot pockets STRAIGHT FROM THE FREEZER?!?!?

there are plenty of ways to **** on garrett.
this info is actually surprising to me.
it shows me how early he learned the con game.

John813

Reaction score
i actually volunteered in the admissions committee for an ivy league school for 1 year.
this **** does not happen.

Ah, so since it didn't happen the one year at that Ivy school you volunteered at, therefore it just doesn't happen at all at any Ivy school, minus the one time Garrett transferred back to Princeton.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
for those who think garrett was smart enough to get into princeton, here is a little history:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Garrett#College_career):
"Garrett was accepted to Princeton, where he began as the starting quarterback of the freshman team, registering 64 completions on 116 attempts for 996 yards. He transferred to Columbia University when his father, Jim Garrett became the head coach in 1985. Following his father's resignation after Columbia's 0–10 1985 season, he and his brothers (Judd and John) transferred to Princeton University, although none played varsity in 1986 for different reasons (Jason was an ineligible transfer)."

it is extremely rare for someone to transfer out of an ivy league school and then transfer back into the same school.

so he is able to leverage his football skills and his father's connections into hopping around ivy league colleges. so he learned how to play politics at a young age. not your 'average' scholarly princeton student.

Garrett got into Princeton and was able to transfer from there and back because of his academic performance as an athlete. Connections can help you but if you don't have the academic standing, you are not going to go to an Ivy League school.

Here's some information on that to clarify:

#1: Higher Academic and Athletic Expectations

As you likely know, the Ivy League is famous for its academic achievements, low acceptance rates, and top rankings on college lists. On the US News Best National Universities list, all Ivies are ranked among the top 15 colleges. In addition, acceptance rates for the Ivies range from just 15% (for Cornell) to as low as 6% (for Harvard). These high stakes are evidently part of the reason that academic expectations are so high for prospective student-athletes.

While you might assume that strong athletic skills are all you need to play for an Ivy League school, in reality you’ll need to also have top SAT/ACT scores, evidence of a challenging course load, strong transcripts, and an all-around impressive college application. (We’ll go into more detail later about what you need to have in order to get accepted to the Ivies as a student-athlete.)

But it’s vital not to forget the importance of athletics in the Ivy League, too. After all, the Ivy League was originally founded as a group of higher institutions that stressed both academics and athletics.

Here’s how the official Ivy League website describes the significance of athletics and student-athletes (all bold emphasis mine):

"Ivy League schools share a tradition of academic excellence and broad-based, successful NCAA Division I athletics. The Ivy League annually finishes among the top Division I athletics conferences in national competitive rankings, and Ivy League student-athletes earn the country’s best records in the NCAA Academic Performance Ratings, operating under the Ivy League model of athletics as a significant educational component of the student's undergraduate experience."

As this quotation emphasizes, the Ivy League isn’t just known for its academia but also for its NCAA Division I sports teams. (There are three divisions in the NCAA—Division I is the highest.) Therefore, what’s ultimately at stake for Ivy League schools when recruiting student-athletes are both their academic and athletic reputations.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Ah, so since it didn't happen the one year at that Ivy school you volunteered at, therefore it just doesn't happen at all at any Ivy school, minus the one time Garrett transferred back to Princeton.

it was a figure of speech.
something like that would be frowned on at a self-respecting school.
it obviously happened at princeton which is surprising to me.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
for those who think garrett was smart enough to get into princeton, here is a little history:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Garrett#College_career):
"Garrett was accepted to Princeton, where he began as the starting quarterback of the freshman team, registering 64 completions on 116 attempts for 996 yards. He transferred to Columbia University when his father, Jim Garrett became the head coach in 1985. Following his father's resignation after Columbia's 0–10 1985 season, he and his brothers (Judd and John) transferred to Princeton University, although none played varsity in 1986 for different reasons (Jason was an ineligible transfer)."

it is extremely rare for someone to transfer out of an ivy league school and then transfer back into the same school.

so he is able to leverage his football skills and his father's connections into hopping around ivy league colleges. so he learned how to play politics at a young age. not your 'average' scholarly princeton student.

He got into Princeton without his father, and left to play for his father, so I'm not really seeing the politics. I don't disagree transferring back and forth between Ivy League schools may be a bit unusual, but it's unusual that a kid would have a chance to play Ivy League football for his father.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Garrett got into Princeton and was able to transfer from there and back because of his academic performance as an athlete. Connections can help you but if you don't have the academic standing, you are not going to go to an Ivy League school.

As you likely know, the Ivy League is famous for its academic achievements, low acceptance rates, and top rankings on college lists. On the US News Best National Universities list, all Ivies are ranked among the top 15 colleges. In addition, acceptance rates for the Ivies range from just 15% (for Cornell) to as low as 6% (for Harvard). These high stakes are evidently part of the reason that academic expectations are so high for prospective student-athletes.

While you might assume that strong athletic skills are all you need to play for an Ivy League school, in reality you’ll need to also have top SAT/ACT scores, evidence of a challenging course load, strong transcripts, and an all-around impressive college application. (We’ll go into more detail later about what you need to have in order to get accepted to the Ivies as a student-athlete.)

But it’s vital not to forget the importance of athletics in the Ivy League, too. After all, the Ivy League was originally founded as a group of higher institutions that stressed both academics and athletics.

Here’s how the official Ivy League website describes the significance of athletics and student-athletes (all bold emphasis mine):

"Ivy League schools share a tradition of academic excellence and broad-based, successful NCAA Division I athletics. The Ivy League annually finishes among the top Division I athletics conferences in national competitive rankings, and Ivy League student-athletes earn the country’s best records in the NCAA Academic Performance Ratings, operating under the Ivy League model of athletics as a significant educational component of the student's undergraduate experience."

As this quotation emphasizes, the Ivy League isn’t just known for its academia but also for its NCAA Division I sports teams. (There are three divisions in the NCAA—Division I is the highest.) Therefore, what’s ultimately at stake for Ivy League schools when recruiting student-athletes are both their academic and athletic reputations.

student athletes have a lower bar, and i am sure u know that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Athletes who perform well in the classroom are coveted by Ivy League schools because they can't just take anyone who plays well. There is absolutely no reason to try to downplay the fact that Garrett was smart enough to go to Princeton.

Now, if you want to say that he's not smart enough to coach the Dallas Cowboys, that has little to do with where he went to college. If all it took to coach in the NFL was intelligence, then owners would be recruiting the smartest men in the world instead of the ones who understand X's and O's.

waldoputty

Reaction score
He got into Princeton without his father, and left to play for his father, so I'm not really seeing the politics. I don't disagree transferring back and forth between Ivy League schools may be a bit unusual, but it's unusual that a kid would have a chance to play Ivy League football for his father.

he probably got into princeton because of his athletic skills and being an ok student.
it takes politics and help to jump back and forth between ivy league schools.

basically we got a politician for a coach like many of us suspected.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He wasn't hired here because he went to Princeton. And most people who go to Ivy league schools have some sort of connections. He could've also been a really good student, but that information was left out. So again, why does any of this matter?

Actually, there's about 20% who get in because they have lesser credentials (e.g., great but not elite testing and grades) but the ability to pay full tuition and some connections to the university that involve donations. The rest are having their tuition subsidized by those folks. The idea that most are connected may have been true in the 60s but that's not how these schools roll anymore

waldoputty

Reaction score
Athletes who perform well in the classroom are coveted by Ivy League schools because they can't just take anyone who plays well. There is absolutely no reason to try to downplay the fact that Garrett was smart enough to go to Princeton.

Now, if you want to say that he's not smart enough to coach the Dallas Cowboys, that has little to do with where he went to college. If all it took to coach in the NFL was intelligence, then owners would be recruiting the smartest men in the world instead of the ones who understand X's and O's.

where he went to school should have little to do with whether he is the cowboys coach.
intelligence does matter though, and this undercuts princeton as a credential.
what this also shows is that he learned to game the system at a young age.
too bad he is game the nfl strategies to the same level of success.
or we would not be talking about this right now.