How Garrett got into Princeton (and Columbia)

waldoputty

Reaction score
Actually, there's about 20% who get in because they have lesser credentials (e.g., great but not elite testing and grades) but the ability to pay full tuition and some connections to the university that involve donations. The rest are having their tuition subsidized by those folks. The idea that most are connected may have been true in the 60s but that's not how these schools roll anymore

lots of student athletes get into ivy league due to their unique background and not just football, but rowing, fencing etc.
i remember someone mentioning buying into stanford was about $10 million or so (may be $20 million).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
being a really good student does not entitle someone to jump back and forth between schools like that.
it only matters if one is thinking garrett is smart because he went to princeton.

Actually, an elite school often will offer a leave for study abroad etc. This wouldn't be much different. They aren't reloading with community college transfers so his "spot" was empty. They also are highly invested in having everyone who starts there finish as a selling point (i.e., huge for college rankings).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
student athletes have a lower bar, and i am sure u know that.

A lower bar than Ivy League students admitted purely based on academics. The bar is still higher than student-athletes admitted to other universities.

Garrett got into Princeton because he performed better academically than athletes who are not recruited by Ivy League schools.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, let’s find more ways to **** on Garrett. Why not.

Did you know he eats cold hot pockets STRAIGHT FROM THE FREEZER?!?!?
tenor.gif

waldoputty

Reaction score
Actually, an elite school often will offer a leave for study abroad etc. This wouldn't be much different. They aren't reloading with community college transfers so his "spot" was empty. They also are highly invested in having everyone who starts there finish as a selling point (i.e., huge for college rankings).

leave for study aboard, absolutely.
i doubt garrett's father knew he was leaving columbia after 1 year.
if i was a princeton alum, i would view this as cheapening my degree.

waldoputty

Reaction score
A lower bar than Ivy League students admitted purely based on academics. The bar is still higher than student-athletes admitted to other universities.

Garrett got into Princeton because he performed better academically than athletes who are not recruited by Ivy League schools.

that is true.
though that bar is now getting ridiculous low.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he probably got into princeton because of his athletic skills and being an ok student.
it takes politics and help to jump back and forth between ivy league schools.

basically we got a politician for a coach like many of us suspected.

What indication do have that he didn't have the academic background to get into Princeton to begin with? Are you really going to disparage Garrett based on an assumption that there is no foundation for? And even if it is true that his athletics helped, that only goes so far. Even athletes at Princeton are top level students - they don't accept merely "pretty good" students. Unless things have changed, there aren't even athletic scholarships in the Ivy League - an athlete has to qualify for an academic scholarship to get money.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
where he went to school should have little to do with whether he is the cowboys coach.
intelligence does matter though, and this undercuts princeton as a credential.
what this also shows is that he learned to game the system at a young age.
too bad he is game the nfl strategies to the same level of success.
or we would not be talking about this right now.

This doesn't show anything that you think it shows. All it shows is that you are building strawman arguments for dismissing his Princeton education. You're better than this.

There is nothing you've presented that should make anyone doubt that he deserved his education. There is nothing you presented that shows he "gamed" the system.

The facts are that he had to perform well enough academically to earn admittance to Princeton, which is more difficult than earning admittance to non-Ivy League schools, and he performed well enough academically while there and at Columbia to be readmitted after transferring.

If you can provide proof that his grades weren't up to snuff and these schools admitted him despite that, then maybe there would be a reason to question his Princeton education.

I think you are trying to cast doubt on his book smarts because you think that they matter in the game of football. That's where you went off course from the start of this thread. Stick with the first sentence of your answer to me: "where he went to school should have little to do with whether he is the cowboys coach."

Bill Belichek went to Wesleyan University and earned a bachelor's degree in economics. That followed a postgraduate year after high school at an academy to improve his grades and test scores. None of that has anything to do with his ability as a head coach.

waldoputty

Reaction score
What indication do have that he didn't have the academic background to get into Princeton to begin with? Are you really going to disparage Garrett based on an assumption that there is no foundation for? And even if it is true that his athletics helped, that only goes so far. Even athletes at Princeton are top level students - they don't accept merely "pretty good" students. Unless things have changed, there aren't even athletic scholarships in the Ivy League - an athlete has to qualify for an academic scholarship to get money.

none of us have given garrett an iq test.
i cannot say for garrett, but i have friends from princeton that talk about how dumb their jogs are.
this is all only relevant in the case when garrett's princeton degree is used as a credential.
the fact is that he was able to hop around princeton and columbia that cheapens those schools, and thus also his admission to them as well.
what is also true is that it is clear that he learned to game the system early in his life, and it appear it has served him well in his career.

waldoputty

Reaction score
This doesn't show anything that you think it shows. All it shows is that you are building strawman arguments for dismissing his Princeton education. You're better than this.

There is nothing you've presented that should make anyone doubt that he deserved his education. There is nothing you presented that shows he "gamed" the system.

The facts are that he had to perform well enough academically to earn admittance to Princeton, which is more difficult than earning admittance to non-Ivy League schools and he performed well enough academically while there and at Columbia to be readmitted after transferring.

If you can provide proof that his grades weren't up to snuff and these schools admitted him despite that, then maybe there would be a reason to question his Princeton education.

I think you are trying to cast doubt on his book smarts because you think that they matter in the game of football. That's where you went off course from the start of this thread. Stick with the first sentence of your answer to me: "where he went to school should have little to do with whether he is the cowboys coach."

Bill Belichek went to Wesleyan University and earned a bachelor's degree in economics. That followed a postgraduate year after high school at an academy to improve his grades and test scores. None of that has anything to do with his ability as a head coach.

being able to jump between schools like that is gaming the system.
top ivy league students cannot do that.

waldoputty

Reaction score

i said that probably happened.
athletes have a much lower bar to get in.

as i said somewhere in this thread, i know princeton grads who laugh about their dumb jogs. that normally does not equate to top students. several have said that these jogs cannot understand class material that they regard at high school level...

Last edited:

foofighters

Reaction score
it is only relevant if one assumes he is really smart if he went to princeton.
otherwise it is irrelevant.
I believe the word is that he is pretty intelligent (except for game time decisions). I would also say the same for myself and I didn't sniff an Ivy League school...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
leave for study aboard, absolutely.
i doubt garrett's father knew he was leaving columbia after 1 year.
if i was a princeton alum, i would view this as cheapening my degree.

If you were a Princeton alum, you'd be smart enough to recognize how tired your Garrett bashing had become

AbeBeta

Reaction score
And yet another thread moved to the drama zone. I wonder if the OP yearns to set some sort of record

waldoputty

Reaction score
If you were a Princeton alum, you'd be smart enough to recognize how tired your Garrett bashing had become

sorry, but what he did was gaming the system.
unfortunately it fits into what we r seeing on the job.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
sorry, but what he did was gaming the system.
unfortunately it fits into what we r seeing on the job.

Princeton is a private university. They can do whatever they want. You can't game the system. They aren't part of any "system." This isn't some state school with legislative mandates governing admission. Independent, private university.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Princeton is a private university. They can do whatever they want. You can't game the system. They aren't part of any "system." This isn't some state school with legislative mandates governing admission. Independent, private university.

nobody called this a government controversy.
princeton has its system and garrett gamed it with his connections and athletic ability.
it does not have to be the government to get gamed.