How great was Romo?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo was a regular season HOFer. Just had a tough go at in the postseason.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Romo was as good as his OL. 8-8 QB without a good OL....facts

HungryLion

Reaction score
Romo was very good. Not so good that I am still grieving after he is retired for over a year. But he was very good. I enjoyed watching him play.

On a side note. I joined this board after Romo was already retired.

What the heck happened here for all the Romo years, that the mere mention of his name creates all of this vitriol and angst? I really don’t get it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He's 4th all-time in passer rating.
He has more yards and TDs than Aikman in fewer games.

He had a hell of a personal career and is wayyyy better than our current QB.
Yes, he's better than our current QB. And, yes, he has better stats than Aikman.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Romo was very exciting and entertaining, sometimes even great as a QB. But "in the moment" and "on the big stage" he too often chocked and came too little.

People who keep saying Jerry or Garrett wasted his career, Romo also wasted many opportunities for them too with his chokes. To me he should not make it to the ROH even, but we know when Jerry loves someone what happens.

He's gonna be there before Jimmy even

:cool:

John813

Reaction score
Romo was very good. Not so good that I am still grieving after he is retired for over a year. But he was very good. I enjoyed watching him play.

On a side note. I joined this board after Romo was already retired.

What the heck happened here for all the Romo years, that the mere mention of his name creates all of this vitriol and angst? I really don’t get it.

Mainly cause of the 2016 season where Dak took over, most(IMO) got converted to Dak as we were winning. Not everyone was a fan but we were winning for 1.5 years. So, good luck having an argument when the team is winning.

Now, with Dak struggling the ones that never liked him are more vocal and some that got converted are jumping off.

Think some are just tired of the debate but instead of avoiding threads they make trollish comments.

That being said, Romo had a few posters that didn't care for him pre-Prescott.
Most are still here. They were stuck on the ESPN wagon and believed he was the reason why the team sucked in the playoffs. Gunslinger and took sacks were common complaints.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would you rather have? 1,200 yards more or 3 SB rings?
Team stats are meaningless.

Aikman also had Jimmy Johnson, a cast of pro-bowl /HOF players around him, and the support of the NFL's top ranked defense when he won those. You think Troy would have done any better in Garret's system?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Like rex was great enough to get the bears to a sb...
Their team was built around the defense. Our team was built around the QB. Perhaps our strategy was the wrong one, but the team had confidence in Romo. I had confidence in Romo. I don't subscribe to the theory he was never given a shot. He had a shot, was good enough to win it, but didn't. It is what it is.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Aikman also had Jimmy Johnson, a cast of pro-bowl /HOF players around him, and the support of the NFL's top ranked defense when he won those. You think Troy would have done any better in Garret's system?

Well, the cowboys ran the same base system when Aikman played.

The talent level around him is the difference though. Yes

uvaballa

Reaction score
Very good player but not good enough to help team get over the hump. They really missed out in 2007.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yes, I believe Troy would have carved these defenses up.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It was a simple question. I'm not glorifying team stats in a completely different era.