How great was Romo?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It is not even close to being double. Thats not the point anyway. What does rushing yards have to do with being mobile? Neither guy ever ran for more than 300 yards in a season. The difference is that Romo was more able to allude pass rushers and extend plays. That doesn't mean he was more apt to take off running any more than Troy.
Career:
Romo - 620
Troy - 1,016

How is that not close to double? And, Aikman got rid of the ball much better. Romo held onto it too often, too long. Of course he had to attempt at extending plays. It's one of the things that made him exciting to watch.

JustChip

Reaction score
He was a very good passer, who always tried to make a play that led to good and bad results.

Some playoff games he didn't play as well as needed. Other times the team had weaknesses(like coverage LBs when we ran the 3-4), or a lack of a passrush that doomed us from going any further.

I can't blame him solely for any lack of playoff wins. Sure he had talent with receivers but also had a stretch where his offensive line broke down, had run game and had to do it all on his own.

QB is a position that is an "old mans spot" in many ways. It takes years to develop, keep improving and reinventing yourself t change with the flow of the NFL.
Dak may be tapped out, or he may make it all click. Who knows. He could one day be leaned on in an offense, it's unfair to compare a QB whose book is written to a QB that may be in chapter 2.

:hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let me start by saying in 2016 they had no choice but to leave the rookie in there who was tearing it up over the increasingly brittle vet Romo. It was just time to move on.

Now on to 9. For years I would argue with Giants fans here in NJ, when they would say he stinks he couldn’t get that team to the playoffs, I would say He just carried a completely coachless, moderatly talented team that should have been 4-12 to an 8-8 season and a completely vanilla offense to 28pts per game or more. Not only was he changing every play but he was moving around in the pocket like a ninja to create time for receivers to get open. I really wish Jerry wasn’t such a selfish dbag and didn’t chase Parcells out of town with JO/TO. That team was ripe to dominate but you turned the keys over to fun Uncle Wade and now your nerdy adapted son because they make Jerry feel good. Now we see Romo’s creativity in the booth. He’s still the man. I still believe in Dak but he can’t do it alone as Tony did for so many years.
I’d argue we did have a choice leaving Romo in. Romo certainly didn’t appear ready to move on. And he obviously still looked sharp in his cameo appearance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I often openly criticized Romo but whenever he was standing we were competitive up until the final game even without a strong support group each year.

Did we have the success we’d of liked to have during his era? No but we were still always a playoff contender despite having some of our worst defenses for a few years.

You hear the criticism of only 2 playoff wins but do we make the playoffs in 4 of the 7 years he’s standing without him? IDK

Bottom line is Romo elevated our team . Was it enough for more success ? No , but I’m not sure what we would have been without him?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Let me start by saying in 2016 they had no choice but to leave the rookie in there who was tearing it up over the increasingly brittle vet Romo. It was just time to move on.

Now on to 9. For years I would argue with Giants fans here in NJ, when they would say he stinks he couldn’t get that team to the playoffs, I would say He just carried a completely coachless, moderatly talented team that should have been 4-12 to an 8-8 season and a completely vanilla offense to 28pts per game or more. Not only was he changing every play but he was moving around in the pocket like a ninja to create time for receivers to get open. I really wish Jerry wasn’t such a selfish dbag and didn’t chase Parcells out of town with JO/TO. That team was ripe to dominate but you turned the keys over to fun Uncle Wade and now your nerdy adapted son because they make Jerry feel good. Now we see Romo’s creativity in the booth. He’s still the man. I still believe in Dak but he can’t do it alone as Tony did for so many years.

Romo was a good QB with alot of poise that his actual game did not justify. Most of his audibles made me crazy because they went for a loss.

The guy as i said thought of himself he would be able to carry the team on his own. He may have had the brain to understand alot of things but combined with his ego he didnt had the talent to really be one of the better QBs in the NFL.

Romo had his best season when asked to be a bus driver. When given too much responsibility - which again he always wanted to carry and thoght of himself is would be able to carry it - he always faltered.

Parcells btw wasnt driven out of town. He had high expectations for himself. But his team struggled when he thought it was a finished product and ready to compete. By then he wasnt willing to put the effort into it anymore.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I’d argue we did have a choice leaving Romo in. Romo certainly didn’t appear ready to move on. And he obviously still looked sharp in his cameo appearance.
Minus the whole retirement press conference and getting a new job.
You're also talking about 29 yards on one drive, lmao.

JustChip

Reaction score
With Romo, we are 3-0 right now, despite these below average pass catchers

Or we're 0-3 because he went down on the first series of the Carolina game. Or we're 2-1 like we were in 2014 after losing the opening game at home against a vastly inferior SF team and then having to come back from a 21-0 deficit in St. Louis fueled in part by a pick 6 thrown by Tony.

Look, I loved Tony. I sat at Texas Stadium and was awed by him turning a 20 yard loss due to a bad snap into a 10 yard gain and a first down. But this elevation of Tony to God-like stature is ridiculous. He was a part of any successes and any failures. As Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Minus the whole retirement press conference and getting a new job.
You're also talking about 29 yards on one drive, lmao.
Seems I recall the retirement press conference was after we made the decision to go with Dak?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He was a very good passer, who always tried to make a play that led to good and bad results.

Some playoff games he didn't play as well as needed. Other times the team had weaknesses(like coverage LBs when we ran the 3-4), or a lack of a passrush that doomed us from going any further.

I can't blame him solely for any lack of playoff wins. Sure he had talent with receivers but also had a stretch where his offensive line broke down, had run game and had to do it all on his own.

QB is a position that is an "old mans spot" in many ways. It takes years to develop, keep improving and reinventing yourself t change with the flow of the NFL.
Dak may be tapped out, or he may make it all click. Who knows. He could one day be leaned on in an offense, it's unfair to compare a QB whose book is written to a QB that may be in chapter 2.
This isn't directed at you, but wanted to piggyback. I don't blame Romo for not winning. I just don't believe his mistakes should be excused while other players mistakes are blamed all the time to support the narrative Romo had to carry the team and didn't have a chance to win. Then it is automatically assumed Romo going to the ideal team would make him a SB champion as if they games still didn't have to be played. Nope, insert Romo here and you can just hand the trophy over.

The team had opportunities to accomplish much more than what they ultimately accomplished under Romo. And claims such as the offense line sucked, the defense was historically bad, and we had no running game won't change the fact the team had opportunities to win games late in the 4th quarter to extend seasons to the next week and failed to do so.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Look Romo was unreliable when he started playing his best football. The last few years he couldn't stay healthy and was holding the team hostage. He missed about 25% of his games in his career. That's a lot. Many of you now look back on his career with rose tinted glasses. Like how you remember that really hot girlfriend you had right out of high school and why it never worked out. Romos career was a roller coaster ride. Every game you never knew which Romo you were gonna get. 5 td romo. 5 int romo. Or somewhere in between. Im glad hes gone that roller coaster ride had me nauseous. Dak might not be the answer but at the very least I'll know he will take care of the ball and be there every sunday

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great enough to lead a perennial 0-16 pile of sht to winning %. Fans got what they deserve now. I love it!

Perennial 0-16? How in the world did you make that up? The team wasn't 0-16 before Romo or after him. Not even 0-16 with Clint Stoerner et al at QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Or we're 0-3 because he went down on the first series of the Carolina game. Or we're 2-1 like we were in 2014 after losing the opening game at home against a vastly inferior SF team and then having to come back from a 21-0 deficit in St. Louis fueled in part by a pick 6 thrown by Tony.

Look, I loved Tony. I sat at Texas Stadium and was awed by him turning a 20 yard loss due to a bad snap into a 10 yard gain and a first down. But this elevation of Tony to God-like stature is ridiculous. He was a part of any successes and any failures. As Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.
One thing Romo wasn’t apart of was an anemic offense.

We are the 30th ranked offense with the leading rusher in the league.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Career:
Romo - 620
Troy - 1,016

How is that not close to double? And, Aikman got rid of the ball much better. Romo held onto it too often, too long. Of course he had to attempt at extending plays. It's one of the things that made him exciting to watch.

was looking at the wrong Stat collumn. My bad. However, you arenot going to be able to use rushing stats to prove mobility for either guy. If you didn't watch the games and just looked at rushing stats, you would think Romo was a statue in the pocket.

The 2 QBs played in completely different offenses. Norv Turner uses a lot of timing routes that required the QB to throw to spots. It required a QB with Aikman's arm and precision. I don't think Romo would have done as well as troy in that offense. By the same token, Aikman could not do what Romo had to do in Garret's vanilla, predictable offense.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Yes the OL was not always good especially when it had to go up against HOF defenders like Reggie White.

Garrett was getting sacked and hit in this game until he got some protection to throw to a receiving core full of weapons... Something Dak currently lacks.

Only Watson has had more time to throw this year. Next.