How I think Mike McCarthy Impacts Dak Prescott

pansophy

Reaction score
How does McCarthy solve Dak's accuracy problems? Kitna helped Dak improve but Dak needs strong teammates to make him look good rather than Dak making the wide receivers look great.
Dak made mechanical adjustments last off season and was much more accurate in the first half of the year than years past. Bum shoulder the last few weeks is skewing people's perception about Dak's accuracy.

Mechanics is about reps, so another off season of mechanical improvement will only make him better and less likely to regress to old mechanics at times. Plus apparently McCarthy is crazy precise about mechanics.

CWR

Reaction score
Hammer/Nail.

And the reason this makes me even more nervous is that everyone has known and identified this as an issue from day 1 and after 4 years as starter there appears to be very little, if any progress regarding these items.

I have to think the staff (and hopefully Dak as well) have been working feverishly on these items and yet little or no progress.
That's not encouraging. Unless McCarthy has some method or miracle worker salve that no one else has access to, I'm not overly optimistic.

It seems he does a lot better now when not under pressure. Hes also surveying the field going through progressions now. When it gets uncomfortable he still reverts back. Hopefully with good coaching he can improve on those areas. One thing that really struck me was Mo Claiborne saying he finally learned how to "study film" like 5 years into the league. I have to question how proficient our prior regime was at teaching. I give credit for the improvement Ive seen, but think there's still plenty of meat on the bone. MM has coached Montana, Young, Favre and Arod. Favre gives him a lot of credit. Hopefully he can do wonders with Dak.

pansophy

Reaction score
Here is the throwing competition video:

Dak was inaccurate before for sure. Mechanical changes this off season appeared to fix that. Hard to justify the belief that Dak can't play when he held the 4th best QBR and 2nd most passing yards. Offense went through him this year and even while being injured at the end still posted the 4th highest QBR.

jay94

Reaction score
Maybe I am, but I do think we will see a Dak Prescott next year that we haven't seen yet. I think it'll be very good.

He honestly was very good this year, about every other player on this team's play went down hill. He's only one player, look at the drops alone, Dak is not our issue.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Better than Rodgers? Don't know about that, but here's what I do know:

Jason was notorious for forcing players into what he wanted. He forced schemes and routes and just everything he wanted them to do. The opposite of this is using a player to the max according to his skillset. And I believe McC does a much much much better job at this.

Dak's not inaccurate so much as he tends to throw some passes inaccurate at times. A lot of this has already been remedied, as Dak has improved his accuracy a great deal, though at times it still wanes. What you'll see w/ McC is more consistency from Dak, which includes schemes/routes that take advantage of Dak's strengths.

I agree with this about McC vs. Garrett. Thus, I think McC will make a huge difference to Dak and be a reason that Dak will look completely different in a positive way than he's looked.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think Dak will won more than one SB. He’s good enough and he’s clutch. We just need to keep the talent level roughly where it currently is, add a player or two at DT and get better coaching. We will be in the hunt every year if we do that.

Under McC, I agree. I think he will if we give him a proper DT for a change.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I believe Dak has the clutch gene also, but it's been almost impossible to determine for sure due to a poor scheme fit for him. Bless his li'l heart, Dak tried and tried to do what Garrett insisted he do, never complained, never heard a negative word.

I think there is a good chance that Dak didn't want to commit to this team w/ Jason in charge. And I do not blame him in the slightest.

Yes, and now we'll get to see Dak with a proper coach.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He honestly was very good this year, about every other player on this team's play went down hill. He's only one player, look at the drops alone, Dak is not our issue.

Oh, no doubt. I think Dak was one of the better aspects of the team, and I think I've been rather consistent with that. My argument is that McCarthy will make Dak look even better. I think he'll craft an offence that Dak is capable of handling with a WCO-style so that Dak doesn't take as many hits. Plus, with our Oline getting older and such, getting rid of the ball more quickly will help extend their careers too.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Dallas finished with the #1 offense in the league and Dak finished 2nd in passing yards and TDs....the problem isn't Dak or the O.....it's SPECIAL TEAMS AND THE DAMN KICKER!!! PERIOD!!! Had we had an AVERAGE ST or kicker we would have had 10+ wins....y'all are going WAAAY too in depth about the wrong topic

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dallas finished with the #1 offense in the league and Dak finished 2nd in passing yards and TDs....the problem isn't Dak or the O.....it's SPECIAL TEAMS AND THE DAMN KICKER!!! PERIOD!!! Had we had an AVERAGE ST or kicker we would have had 10+ wins....y'all are going WAAAY too in depth about the wrong topic

Im not arguing that Dak was the problem. my argument is that Mc will make Dak a much much better QB than he is by virtue of the WCO which I think fits Dak better..

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
you are correct but as we have seen there is always a next level. Dak personally has grown from his first year but he can get to that next level and we need him to. Just like we need special teams to simply be competent or the defense to stack better. Overall, even though we had the number one offense, it was more about when we scored than how much we did. The when is often the difference between wins and losses. And if we win 12 games by only 3 points but 8 games by 12 points, which would you rather have? I want MM to take this team to that next level where we experience the extreme pressure of a conference championship against the other best team and then eventually the other best team in the AFC. I want us to go into a situation where the other team is clearly better and we destroy them by doing what we do. That is the next level I think everyone is talking about.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak was inaccurate before for sure. Mechanical changes this off season appeared to fix that. Hard to justify the belief that Dak can't play when he held the 4th best QBR and 2nd most passing yards. Offense went through him this year and even while being injured at the end still posted the 4th highest QBR.
Passing yards is bs nowadays. My friend do you know the top 4/5 QBs in that category didn’t sniff the playoffs. People mention qbr but what the hell is it really. It’s like people want to sound smart instead of actually being smart.

pansophy

Reaction score
Passing yards is bs nowadays. My friend do you know the top 4/5 QBs in that category didn’t sniff the playoffs. People mention qbr but what the hell is it really. It’s like people want to sound smart instead of actually being smart.
If you don't understand QBR and the concept of probability then perhaps you just shouldn't comment on it at all. True, QBs in the top 5 had to throw a lot because their teams weren't winning games, but of those players only Dak had a QBR in the top 5. Next closest was Ryan at 14th.

The point was that Dak has had top 5 QBRs before, but with the running game really driving the offensive. So doubts remained about whether the offense really could run through Dak. That question should be answered now given that he threw for as many yards as he did and his QBR didn't suffer with a heavier load.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
If you don't understand QBR and the concept of probability then perhaps you just shouldn't comment on it at all. True, QBs in the top 5 had to throw a lot because their teams weren't winning games, but of those players only Dak had a QBR in the top 5. Next closest was Ryan at 14th.

The point was that Dak has had top 5 QBRs before, but with the running game really driving the offensive. So doubts remained about whether the offense really could run through Dak. That question should be answered now given that he threw for as many yards as he did and his QBR didn't suffer with a heavier load.
I didn’t comment on it outside to say most of y’all don’t know it yallselves but just parrot what sounds good. Dak is average as ever and I don’t need qbr to know that

Nexx

Reaction score
the west coast offense is based off getting the ball out quick with accuracy. Dak excels at neither.

pansophy

Reaction score
I didn’t comment on it outside to say most of y’all don’t know it yallselves but just parrot what sounds good. Dak is average as ever and I don’t need qbr to know that
You mean based on his last few weeks throwing with a bum shoulder? People have unrealistic expectations of QB's here and somehow every loss is their fault. If you go back to last year I questioned whether Dak could really pull it all together. Sure there were signs he was turning the corner cognitively late last year, but the mechanical changes he made this off season truly improved his accuracy. Yes there were times when he mechanics failed him this year, but mechanics are about reps. Another off-season will only strengthen the new mechanics, and guessing McCarthy who is supposed to be hyper specific about mechanics will probably have further improvements to make.

If you count the last 5 weeks against him then there is nothing to say. It doesn't really matter because Jerry isn't letting him go.