How I think Mike McCarthy Impacts Dak Prescott

CWR

Reaction score
Dak is a great guy in the locker room by all reports. A good leader. He is durable and tough. He runs the ball. He makes pretty good reads and makes good decisions with the ball.

Dak's problem is that he isn't accurate. He can't make the throws that Rodgers did in his prime. Even when he completes passes, they are frequently behind, above or at the feet of receivers. That leads to more drops, lost YAC and some interceptions.

I'm not sure how MM fixes that.

I do think that Dak can have better numbers with a better coach. Playing with a lead or a short field due to better defense, better special teams and a few takeaways is going to make anyone look better. In the right situation, I think Dak could win a super bowl. Improve Dak though? That's pretty much on Dak.

My biggest criticism for Dak is his tendency to throw at or behind his wrs on crossing routes. It seems to be more of a timing and anticipation issue, and not necessarily accuracy. If MM can coach Dak to put that ball where it belongs we are instantly better. The other thing I see often is bad throws while stepping backwards. He needs to be disciplined in his footwork.

Gaede

Reaction score
Where is this accuracy complaint coming from? Seriously? There are plenty of things to criticize Dak for but accuracy isn't one of them.

You don't put in 4 years at QB in the NFL and complete ~66% of your passes without being accurate.

I get it, when he misses, it feels bad for us and we expect a QB should always hit players in the numbers every time, all the time. But every single QB misses passes, even the great ones, and sometimes badly, but that doesn't mean their inaccurate.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Watching football all my life Rodgers had about a ten year stretch where I would take him over any qb in the league ever. I'm 100% on board with Dak, but your getting crazy with the statement of being better than Rodgers, his raw athleticism is already behind the curve in arm strength and mobility.

Maybe I am, but I do think we will see a Dak Prescott next year that we haven't seen yet. I think it'll be very good.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of naysayers about Dak Prescott, and he had his struggles last year. However, I do not think he was the main problem last year. We had too many players playing as individuals, and I think the team just gave up on Garrett. McCarthy is a fresh voice to them, and fresh inspiration. Now, with that out the way, here's my take, and laugh at me how you will, but I will make a rather bold statement here.

I think Dak Prescott will be better than Aaron Rodgers because of this hire. I know. I know. A lot of you are going to have a go at me for this. However, let me explain my position.

In the first place, as good as Aaron Rodgers is, he is an absolute egotistical maniac who strikes me as uncoachable. He's got a massive ego, and he seems like he's incredibly difficult to get along with. I can't imagine how difficult he must be to coach from an ego standpoint, as good as he is. Dak Prescott, on the other hand, seems like a rather humble chap who seems like he'd take very strongly to coaching.

In the second place, Mike McCarthy is a WCO chap. I strongly believe that this fits Dak's style. If you noticed early on, he would check down often to his playmakers. This got him the reputation of being a "Check Down Charlie" as I recall. The nice thing about the WCO-style that McCarthy likes is that it allows him to quickly get the ball out and to his playmakers. This would help Dak to 1. not take so many hits/sacks and 2. get Cooper, Gallup, and Zeke the ball in space. This allows them to really have a good scamper against opposing defences. This leads me to my third place point.

In the third place, I think the combination of the coaching that Dak will receive and the style of coaching that McCarthy will bring will be able to allow Dak to do what he does best. Thus, I strongly think that the Dak we will see this year will be remarkably different to the Dak we have seen before this season. As Dak progresses in the McCarthy system, I think his success will become greater than that of Rodgers. Thus, I think he will end up being regarded as better than Rodgers.

A bit bold? Maybe. But that's my take on this. I truly love that we finally have a WCO that can take advantage of what Dak does well. This is what I've been BEGGING for. I initially wanted a Reid chap, but I think McCarthy will be better.
Well 1st you should not compare dak with other qb's, they are all different.
2nd dont compare or say he will be better than rodgers, that is too tall of an order lol.

Watch Rodgers play back in 2010 when he was young, and then tell me what you think.
He is only a shadow now of what he was back when he won the SB.

3rd I think dak and other players are all going to be better due to better coaching and schemes, adjustments etc, but really we wont know anything till we see them play
next season.

We dont know what the offense will be like till sept, so just have to be patient, I dont
think it will be the same wco offense your thinking about.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well 1st you should not compare dak with other qb's, they are all different.
2nd dont compare or say he will be better than rodgers, that is too tall of an order lol.

Watch Rodgers play back in 2010 when he was young, and then tell me what you think.
He is only a shadow now of what he was back when he won the SB.

3rd I think dak and other players are all going to be better due to better coaching and schemes, adjustments etc, but really we wont know anything till we see them play
next season.

We dont know what the offense will be like till sept, so just have to be patient, I dont
think it will be the same wco offense your thinking about.

Well, I suppose we will find out, ans I expect the implementation will not be completed in the first season.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
My biggest criticism for Dak is his tendency to throw at or behind his wrs on crossing routes. It seems to be more of a timing and anticipation issue, and not necessarily accuracy. If MM can coach Dak to put that ball where it belongs we are instantly better. The other thing I see often is bad throws while stepping backwards. He needs to be disciplined in his footwork.

Hammer/Nail.

And the reason this makes me even more nervous is that everyone has known and identified this as an issue from day 1 and after 4 years as starter there appears to be very little, if any progress regarding these items.

I have to think the staff (and hopefully Dak as well) have been working feverishly on these items and yet little or no progress.
That's not encouraging. Unless McCarthy has some method or miracle worker salve that no one else has access to, I'm not overly optimistic.

Reactions: CWR

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I don't know if he'll be extremely accurate over night. But, I do think he will become more consistent and I think the coaching he's going to receive from McCarthy will be tremendous for him.
You're a naturally optimistic person and that's awesome but I'm about reality and reality says Dak isn't about to learn how to be consistently accurate at this point in his career period. For fandom sake I hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt it.

jnday

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of naysayers about Dak Prescott, and he had his struggles last year. However, I do not think he was the main problem last year. We had too many players playing as individuals, and I think the team just gave up on Garrett. McCarthy is a fresh voice to them, and fresh inspiration. Now, with that out the way, here's my take, and laugh at me how you will, but I will make a rather bold statement here.

I think Dak Prescott will be better than Aaron Rodgers because of this hire. I know. I know. A lot of you are going to have a go at me for this. However, let me explain my position.

In the first place, as good as Aaron Rodgers is, he is an absolute egotistical maniac who strikes me as uncoachable. He's got a massive ego, and he seems like he's incredibly difficult to get along with. I can't imagine how difficult he must be to coach from an ego standpoint, as good as he is. Dak Prescott, on the other hand, seems like a rather humble chap who seems like he'd take very strongly to coaching.

In the second place, Mike McCarthy is a WCO chap. I strongly believe that this fits Dak's style. If you noticed early on, he would check down often to his playmakers. This got him the reputation of being a "Check Down Charlie" as I recall. The nice thing about the WCO-style that McCarthy likes is that it allows him to quickly get the ball out and to his playmakers. This would help Dak to 1. not take so many hits/sacks and 2. get Cooper, Gallup, and Zeke the ball in space. This allows them to really have a good scamper against opposing defences. This leads me to my third place point.

In the third place, I think the combination of the coaching that Dak will receive and the style of coaching that McCarthy will bring will be able to allow Dak to do what he does best. Thus, I strongly think that the Dak we will see this year will be remarkably different to the Dak we have seen before this season. As Dak progresses in the McCarthy system, I think his success will become greater than that of Rodgers. Thus, I think he will end up being regarded as better than Rodgers.

A bit bold? Maybe. But that's my take on this. I truly love that we finally have a WCO that can take advantage of what Dak does well. This is what I've been BEGGING for. I initially wanted a Reid chap, but I think McCarthy will be better.
You failed to take into account the big differences in talent between Rodgers and Dak.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Where is this accuracy complaint coming from? Seriously? There are plenty of things to criticize Dak for but accuracy isn't one of them.

You don't put in 4 years at QB in the NFL and complete ~66% of your passes without being accurate.

I get it, when he misses, it feels bad for us and we expect a QB should always hit players in the numbers every time, all the time. But every single QB misses passes, even the great ones, and sometimes badly, but that doesn't mean their inaccurate.
Somebody doesn't watch games and or isn't football smart enough to know that completion percentage doesn't equal accuracy smh.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really isn't a comparison between your QB and the others because they are not available. And comparing the money is an empty argument to an agent because it all comes down to one question, what is your QB worth to you?

What are the alternatives to not re-signing your own QB? MIN did that and got Cousins and they're in the playoffs but they also have one of the better D's.

The Cowboys either sign Prescott or go for a FA or draft one and they're not drafting high enough to get a blue chipper and Burrow is off the board.

These teams don't pay QB's what they want to pay them, they pay them what they have to pay them to sign them.

And the situation with the Cowboys this year is unique, new HC, and a QB guy at that, and QB up. How much of that 12 hour interview do you think centered around Prescott?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
You failed to take into account the big differences in talent between Rodgers and Dak.
I see the big problem with most of these bigger Dak fans. They confusing being a ",nice" person for being nice on the football field. Folks hoping for things that we know aren't likely to happen just because Dak is "nice". Dak is average at the end of the day but some want him to be more than that because he's a "nice" guy and they want him to succeed.

kskboys

Reaction score
Better than Rodgers? Don't know about that, but here's what I do know:

Jason was notorious for forcing players into what he wanted. He forced schemes and routes and just everything he wanted them to do. The opposite of this is using a player to the max according to his skillset. And I believe McC does a much much much better job at this.

Dak's not inaccurate so much as he tends to throw some passes inaccurate at times. A lot of this has already been remedied, as Dak has improved his accuracy a great deal, though at times it still wanes. What you'll see w/ McC is more consistency from Dak, which includes schemes/routes that take advantage of Dak's strengths.

kskboys

Reaction score
It really isn't a comparison between your QB and the others because they are not available. And comparing the money is an empty argument to an agent because it all comes down to one question, what is your QB worth to you?

What are the alternatives to not re-signing your own QB? MIN did that and got Cousins and they're in the playoffs but they also have one of the better D's.

The Cowboys either sign Prescott or go for a FA or draft one and they're not drafting high enough to get a blue chipper and Burrow is off the board.

These teams don't pay QB's what they want to pay them, they pay them what they have to pay them to sign them.

And the situation with the Cowboys this year is unique, new HC, and a QB guy at that, and QB up. How much of that 12 hour interview do you think centered around Prescott?
Most of the Dak arguments spewed out by both sides are completely irrelevant.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Rodgers isn't available. Brady might be or Brees or Rivers but would they better fit this HC's offense?

I am pretty sure Big Mike spent a lot of time watching Prescott as he did Daniel Jones, Mayfield, Haskins and CAR's backup. He watched for typical WCO throws and probably a lot of time on Prescott on the move. His accuracy moving either left or right when he's on the move is pretty damned good.

I believe he sold the Joneses on one main thing and that's why he got the job. Dak Prescott is good, I can make him better. I can't make him the best but I can make him good enough to get jewelry.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Dak can be an accurate passer. Will he be as accurate as Rodgers? Maybe not. But, in terms of sheer ability and his ability to be coached, I think overall he will end up being able to at the very least stack up to Rodgers. Keep in mind, he held his own extremely well with Aaron Rodgers in 2016 as a rookie. He was down 21 nil, and damn near came back and beat him. I think, with the coaching that McCarthy can provide, that Dak will be able to go toe to toe with Rodgers and beat him often. I think he'll end up being able to outduel him and show he can be better than Rodgers. And I think he'll be able to win a Super Bowl under McCarthy.

I think Dak will won more than one SB. He’s good enough and he’s clutch. We just need to keep the talent level roughly where it currently is, add a player or two at DT and get better coaching. We will be in the hunt every year if we do that.

kskboys

Reaction score
But Rodgers isn't available. Brady might be or Brees or Rivers but would they better fit this HC's offense?

I am pretty sure Big Mike spent a lot of time watching Prescott as he did Daniel Jones, Mayfield, Haskins and CAR's backup. He watched for typical WCO throws and probably a lot of time on Prescott on the move. His accuracy moving either left or right when he's on the move is pretty damned good.

I believe he sold the Joneses on one main thing and that's why he got the job. Dak Prescott is good, I can make him better. I can't make him the best but I can make him good enough to get jewelry.
I believe Dak has the clutch gene also, but it's been almost impossible to determine for sure due to a poor scheme fit for him. Bless his li'l heart, Dak tried and tried to do what Garrett insisted he do, never complained, never heard a negative word.

I think there is a good chance that Dak didn't want to commit to this team w/ Jason in charge. And I do not blame him in the slightest.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

I disagree. I guess its a subjective thing where we would have to go pass by pass and analyze them. I think Dak has such a good completion percentage because he throws to the open man. There are QB's out there that can throw to a covered guy and still get a completion and that's not Dak.

Regardless, I see Dak in the lower tier of QB's as far as pure accuracy. Anyone want to post the Dak vs Carr throwing competition video?