How I think Mike McCarthy Impacts Dak Prescott

Zman5

Reaction score
McNabb was a career 59% passer. He routinely threw the ball into the dirt. Yet he went to 4 NFCC game and a SB and one can argue had a better career than Romo. All because he was playing for a good coach and a right scheme. McNabb was a better runner than Dak but Dak's the better passer. Had McChunky played for JG, he would have been out of the league after 4 years or be a backup QB at best.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
he's best when his first read is open and he doesn't have to go any further. he panics when this read is covered, so quick no thinking reads is his best option. I guess if the running back is the next option he might be able to go back to what he did in 16. Short passes, no thinking, no turnover play. they are a description of this but some don't like it to be placed on dak.

Im not so sure, but we will see how he looks with this offense.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
McNabb was a career 59% passer. He routinely threw the ball into the dirt. Yet he went to 4 NFCC game and a SB and one can argue had a better career than Romo. All because he was playing for a good coach and a right scheme. McNabb was a better runner than Dak but Dak's the better passer. Had McChunky played for JG, he would have been out of the league after 4 years or be a backup QB at best.

Exactly! And now we have a coach similar to Reid.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
it's still going back to throwing ability if you got it, a bad coach isn't going to keep you from throwing good.
how would a bad coach make your throws off?
seriously this is a legit question.
you see the mob mentality where one guy says it's the coach and it grows.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
it's still going back to throwing ability if you got it, a bad coach isn't going to keep you from throwing good.
how would a bad coach make your throws off?
seriously this is a legit question.
you see the mob mentality where one guy says it's the coach and it grows.

Not so much the throws as the route combinations. I think the route combinations will be better, thus making it easier for Dak to get the ball out quickly.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
he's best when his first read is open and he doesn't have to go any further. he panics when this read is covered, so quick no thinking reads is his best option. I guess if the running back is the next option he might be able to go back to what he did in 16. Short passes, no thinking, no turnover play. they are a description of this but some don't like it to be placed on dak.

The problem with Garrett's offense is that if the first read isn't open, then you have to go to your 2nd read than 3rd read.

There doesn't seem to be a safety valve where he can dump off to a running back. It seems like everyone offense has one except Dallas.

cern

Reaction score
I think he will help Dak's accuracy by calling plays that are quick. I think the WCO that McCarthy has will be very useful for this.
Romo's best season came when Murray was leading the league in rushing 2014. Best way to help dak is get zeke running and having dak throw less.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Well, I'd say he's significantly more humble than Rodgers, for one thing. And true. He does have the tendency to put the ball behind a bit, but I think he will be better at it with McCarthy.
Who cares. Rodgers is an A-hole but he's still great. Your argument is all off.

Look at other great players. Kobe egomaniacal d-bag,Michael Jordan...

The best of the best aren't out to be buddy, buddy but dominate.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

yep, no pressure. what does that play look like with pressure?
he scans the field not really seeing but half or less of the field and then panicking and throw the ball late. Resulting in high, low or behind passes.
With perfect protection, he can get the ball closer.

jay94

Reaction score
I think Dak Prescott will be better than Aaron Rodgers because of this hire. I know. I know. A lot of you are going to have a go at me for this. However, let me explain my position.

Watching football all my life Rodgers had about a ten year stretch where I would take him over any qb in the league ever. I'm 100% on board with Dak, but your getting crazy with the statement of being better than Rodgers, his raw athleticism is already behind the curve in arm strength and mobility.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
he scans the field not really seeing but half or less of the field and then panicking and throw the ball late. Resulting in high, low or behind passes.
Apply that double standard to the highest paid OL in the NFL, they shouldn't allow any pressure.
McCarthy has never coached a QB that has ever passed for more than 4900 yds in season of their careers.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Apply that double standard to the highest paid OL in the NFL, they shouldn't allow any pressure.
McCarthy has never coached a QB that has ever passed for more than 4900 yds in season of their careers.

what double standard? facts with perfect protection Dak doesn't panic and can get close to his guy, without he's late because of pressure and throws high, low, or behind his receivers.
smh double standard?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Look at his footwork not even high school QB throw like that.....lol....GL with project Dak!

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of naysayers about Dak Prescott, and he had his struggles last year. However, I do not think he was the main problem last year. We had too many players playing as individuals, and I think the team just gave up on Garrett. McCarthy is a fresh voice to them, and fresh inspiration. Now, with that out the way, here's my take, and laugh at me how you will, but I will make a rather bold statement here.

I think Dak Prescott will be better than Aaron Rodgers because of this hire. I know. I know. A lot of you are going to have a go at me for this. However, let me explain my position.

In the first place, as good as Aaron Rodgers is, he is an absolute egotistical maniac who strikes me as uncoachable. He's got a massive ego, and he seems like he's incredibly difficult to get along with. I can't imagine how difficult he must be to coach from an ego standpoint, as good as he is. Dak Prescott, on the other hand, seems like a rather humble chap who seems like he'd take very strongly to coaching.

In the second place, Mike McCarthy is a WCO chap. I strongly believe that this fits Dak's style. If you noticed early on, he would check down often to his playmakers. This got him the reputation of being a "Check Down Charlie" as I recall. The nice thing about the WCO-style that McCarthy likes is that it allows him to quickly get the ball out and to his playmakers. This would help Dak to 1. not take so many hits/sacks and 2. get Cooper, Gallup, and Zeke the ball in space. This allows them to really have a good scamper against opposing defences. This leads me to my third place point.

In the third place, I think the combination of the coaching that Dak will receive and the style of coaching that McCarthy will bring will be able to allow Dak to do what he does best. Thus, I strongly think that the Dak we will see this year will be remarkably different to the Dak we have seen before this season. As Dak progresses in the McCarthy system, I think his success will become greater than that of Rodgers. Thus, I think he will end up being regarded as better than Rodgers.

A bit bold? Maybe. But that's my take on this. I truly love that we finally have a WCO that can take advantage of what Dak does well. This is what I've been BEGGING for. I initially wanted a Reid chap, but I think McCarthy will be better.

Yes! I’ve always told buddies of mine Dak needs the WCO! So now it’s all in him to prove me right!

Blackrain

Reaction score
Dak is a great guy in the locker room by all reports. A good leader. He is durable and tough. He runs the ball. He makes pretty good reads and makes good decisions with the ball.

Dak's problem is that he isn't accurate. He can't make the throws that Rodgers did in his prime. Even when he completes passes, they are frequently behind, above or at the feet of receivers. That leads to more drops, lost YAC and some interceptions.

I'm not sure how MM fixes that.

I do think that Dak can have better numbers with a better coach. Playing with a lead or a short field due to better defense, better special teams and a few takeaways is going to make anyone look better. In the right situation, I think Dak could win a super bowl. Improve Dak though? That's pretty much on Dak.

Dak could have better numbers if our receivers did not lead the league in DROPS!!! Watched Wilson the other day overthrow 3 balls in a row the difference is when he dose get the ball there the receivers catch it for a big play ours drop it

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think Dak can be an accurate passer. Will he be as accurate as Rodgers? Maybe not. But, in terms of sheer ability and his ability to be coached, I think overall he will end up being able to at the very least stack up to Rodgers. Keep in mind, he held his own extremely well with Aaron Rodgers in 2016 as a rookie. He was down 21 nil, and damn near came back and beat him. I think, with the coaching that McCarthy can provide, that Dak will be able to go toe to toe with Rodgers and beat him often. I think he'll end up being able to outduel him and show he can be better than Rodgers. And I think he'll be able to win a Super Bowl under McCarthy.

As in accurate as Dak is CLAIMED to be he had a better comp % and QBR than Rodgers .

shabazz

Reaction score
Let's calm down with calling Dak having the potential to be better than Rodgers. We're talking about an all-time great here and coaches can only do so much.

I agree with that as Rodgers clearly has the better skill set ( I dont think its debatable) , so the most im hoping for is that he can get Dakota to be more efficient in scoring against GOOD teams. I also have been advocating for competition at the QB position. The history of this team is to get tunnel vision at this position and never bring in meaningful competition at the most important role on the team. The offense clearly went AWOL in some very winnable games and they need to improve just like the D and ST's