How important is the Center position?

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Ask a successful Football gambler they will tell you about how important Center’s are.
They are important. They just aren't close to important as QB, LT, DE, WR1, CB. That's why not one team has drafted a Center high in 50 freaking years.
It's a position easy to root for because we can relate to them. They aren't incredibly athletic and the are leaders on the line. But GMs, coaches etc know there's a hierarchy and Centers aren't near the top.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd venture to say the Center position is a very important element of the Cowboys' OL. It seems quite crucial to me.

He's basically the OL's signal caller, as I understand it. It may take Beebe a while to get it down pat, though . . . ;)

1time4urMind

Reaction score
I think the C position is underrated by fans.

Also like you said, there are adequate C's to be found. Adequate at OT can be bad.

I don't know the stats, but how often does a really good C hit the FA market? Really good OT are traded or hit the free agent market somewhat regularly. Is that because there are more of them to be had?

But, I will always value a clean middle of the pocket and seams for a RB that is hitting the A-gap. The shortest path to the QB is through the center. Corey Proctor taught me that. ;)

1time4urMind

Reaction score
And your entire OL doesn't matter if your C sucks.

Here's the deal. It's simply easier to find a C who holds the middle. Demand plays a huge role.

In that super bowl, Mahomes was still playing hero ball. Someone finally got into his head and convinced him he doesn't need to win the game on every play.

Truth.

Remember defenses lining up strong interior lineman on Corey Procter?
Quickest path to the QB/RB is directly over C.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Truth.

Remember defenses lining up strong interior lineman on Corey Procter?
Quickest path to the QB/RB is directly over C.
The shortest path is over Center but the quickest is a DE/OLB that runs a 4.5 forty right past the bad LT. DT run slow.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
They are important. They just aren't close to important as QB, LT, DE, WR1, CB. That's why not one team has drafted a Center high in 50 freaking years.
It's a position easy to root for because we can relate to them. They aren't incredibly athletic and the are leaders on the line. But GMs, coaches etc know there's a hierarchy and Centers aren't near the top.
Draft value has more to do with supply and demand.

Clutch kickers affect outcomes all time - they are also not drafted highly.

I promise you that Center’s are a big deal.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson once said that Center was the most important position on the O line. He makes all the calls and handles the ball on every play. Thats enough for me. I feel Beebe is gonna be a good one for quite awhile.
Yep, and Bill Parcells said you build your team from the middle out. I will go with what those two guys have to say on the matter.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The shortest path is over Center but the quickest is a DE/OLB that runs a 4.5 forty right past the bad LT. DT run slow.
ASK a QB which pressure he fears the most
I will give you two examples
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady both said they worried more about pressure up the middle
But then you will never admit you are wrong no matter what

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
The center CAN call the line assignments, but it is not a requirement. When Looney had to fill in for Frederick he was not calling the line assignments.
Each team does it differently, some give the protections to the C some let the QBs set them. All C’s make line calls.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Draft position does not relate to positional importance it’s related to how hard it is to find an athletic profile that translates to the NFL. OT’s are freaks, they’re massive and athletic. The same profile isn’t needed on the interior so they’re easier to find.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Each team does it differently, some give the protections to the C some let the QBs set them. All C’s make line calls.
If you watched the season the only calls Looney made were the Mike call it was Zack or Connor making the other calls.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Draft position does not relate to positional importance it’s related to how hard it is to find an athletic profile that translates to the NFL. OT’s are freaks, they’re massive and athletic. The same profile isn’t needed on the interior so they’re easier to find.
arguably OT is the position on the team most measured by physical attributes and thus are drafted on them; and always high

gtb1943

Reaction score
If you watched the season the only calls Looney made were the Mike call it was Zack or Connor making the other calls.
The line calls are sometimes made by a guard. Not often but it happens

triplets_93

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson once said that Center was the most important position on the O line. He makes all the calls and handles the ball on every play. Thats enough for me. I feel Beebe is gonna be a good one for quite awhile.
Center is of upmost importance to the overall health of the the team.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The line calls are sometimes made by a guard. Not often but it happens
I agree but when Looney was center it was a new position for him, even when Biadasz 1st started he was not making all the calls. I think they will do the same for Beebe, have him worry more about hiking the ball, and getting into his blocking position and having Zack make the majority of the line calls

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Whatever.

He was a 6th round pick. Who frickin' cares if they took him because of his daddy? It just doesn't matter. Anything after the 4th is a blind dart throw, so the pick was fine. This highest ranked player on their board thingie has become nothing more than an excuse for draft gaffes. This wasn't a draft gaffe, it was a frickin' 6th rounder.
Deuce was a credible pick in the 6th as a gadget player and returner. And he still might pan out as such. The story on Deuce isn't over.

Every time Deuce on tape catching the ball, he looked good to me. Very natural pass catcher.

kskboys

Reaction score
Deuce was a credible pick in the 6th as a gadget player and returner. And he still might pan out as such. The story on Deuce isn't over.

Every time Deuce on tape catching the ball, he looked good to me. Very natural pass catcher.
I thought he had talent, but was grossly misused last season. It looked to me as if they were trying to make him an ordinary RB, when it was obvious that he needs the ball in space.

1time4urMind

Reaction score

Point taken.

Counterpoint: That DE/LB could run a 4.9 and get to the QB if there is no pocket to step into end the C/DT is in the QB's lap right at the snap.

I don't disagree, though. One compliments the other. How many sacks have we watched our edge rushers miss over the years because the opponents QB had a pocket to step up into and release the ball?Or, teams not needing to rely on the pass because they just run up the A-gaps?
Then again, Chaz Green. *shrug*
It's easier for me to have an opinion when I can consider a single position "in a vacuum".
I think it's easier to scheme help on the outside if your strong inside, though. Can't really back that up... So, I guess it's just, like, my opinion, man. :)