How important is the Center position?

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
C is the most important position on the line but the athletic profile needed to be a good OT is much more rare to find so that’s why OT’s go earlier. Saying all they do is snap the ball is football ignorance.
LT is the most important. Then RT. The least important is RG. But if you ask any coach or GM what would they rather have...
1) All Pro LT and an average C
2) All Pro C and an average LT

Everyone is picking option 1

I'm not saying C isn't important. It is important but there's a hierarchy and it's always been
1) QB 2) LT 3) DE 4) WR1 5) CB
There's an argument to make for most every position. I alway think of the Bears from a few years ago. They'll tell you how important Kickers are.

Last edited:

gtb1943

Reaction score
LT is the most important. Then RT. The least important is RG. But if you ask any coach or GM what would they rather have...

in your mind maybe
or in the mind of a mediocre coach like Ginger

Jarntt

Reaction score
Just not true at all. Teams draft Tackles all the time in the time in the top 10. Teams never draft Centers in the top 15. That should tell you all you need to know about how important Centers are. Every position is important. Ask the Bears about kickers. But overall there's a hierarchy and it's always been...
1. QB
2. LT
3. DE
4. WR1
5. CB
What's up my man. You know I was thinking about you as soon as I saw the thread title!!!

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys continued a decades long pattern of drafting only tackles and centers for their Oline. When the Cowboys draft an interior lineman, they rarely draft a college interior lineman unless he plays, or they project him to play the Center position.

So, how do they get their Guards? They draft college tackles, and convert them to guard. Look back over time - especially over the last 25 years. Who have been the highest performing guards for the Cowboys? Leonard Davis, Ron Leary, Zack Martin, La’el Collins, Connor Williams, and now Tyler Smith.

And their top performing interior players were Andre Gurode, Travis Frederick and Tyler Biadasz. Now they’ve spent another high pick on an interior lineman. It is no surprise they want Beebe to play Center.

Frankly, despite his lone Pro Bowl appearance as a replacement for another player, Tyler Biadasz has been a weak link for the Cowboys - especially in the run game. The drop in the Cowboys performance over the past few seasons can be directly attributed to their weakness in the center of the Oline.

I’m not saying that Biadasz was trash. He improved. But he was never the powerhouse that you would prefer at the position. I don’t personally know that much about Connor Beebe, other than some highly regarded scouts had him ranked among their top 40 players in this draft. He was picked 73rd.

If Beebe can successfully transition to Center (and it could take some time for the adjustment to take hold), he might be a significant upgrade that directly affects the pocket security of Dak Prescott, and has a huge impact on the Cowboys power running game.

How might this affect the Cowboys in the near term, and later this coming season? Well, last year the Cowboys spent a 6th round pick on a RB who is small in stature, but quick to the hole, and explosive after he hits the hole. If Berne can improve the interior blocking, the Cowboys have a much better chance to recoup the investment they made in Deuce Vaughn.

Also, the Cowboys have questions on the edge, with Rookie Tyler Guyton adjusting from the right side to the left side, and undrafted wunderkind Terence Steele coming off a disappointing season that followed a knee injury. Bringing back Zeke Elliott at RB may be more about helping out the pass protection for Dak than it is getting running game production from him. Zeke is well known as one of the best blocking backs in Pass Pro in the NFL. If Zeke can help with pass protection while the rookies adjust to the NFL, and while Steele hopefully gets back to the form that earned him a big contract, then the investment in Zeke could pay off - even without great production from him in the running game.

But they key to making this work is getting a big nasty Center that can hold down the middle of the line against the strong interior Dlinemen in the Division, and create space for the running game to operate efficiently.

That’s a big “if.” But all the rookies, and many of the 2nd year players remain “ifs” right now - until we see them perform. But the Cowboys at least have a plan. We’ll see if the risks they’ve taken will pay off. The key factor will be if the Cowboys grow stronger as the season progresses.
A lot more than you think, if you are asking that question.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The Cowboys continued a decades long pattern of drafting only tackles and centers for their Oline. When the Cowboys draft an interior lineman, they rarely draft a college interior lineman unless he plays, or they project him to play the Center position.

So, how do they get their Guards? They draft college tackles, and convert them to guard. Look back over time - especially over the last 25 years. Who have been the highest performing guards for the Cowboys? Leonard Davis, Ron Leary, Zack Martin, La’el Collins, Connor Williams, and now Tyler Smith.

And their top performing interior players were Andre Gurode, Travis Frederick and Tyler Biadasz. Now they’ve spent another high pick on an interior lineman. It is no surprise they want Beebe to play Center.

Frankly, despite his lone Pro Bowl appearance as a replacement for another player, Tyler Biadasz has been a weak link for the Cowboys - especially in the run game. The drop in the Cowboys performance over the past few seasons can be directly attributed to their weakness in the center of the Oline.

I’m not saying that Biadasz was trash. He improved. But he was never the powerhouse that you would prefer at the position. I don’t personally know that much about Connor Beebe, other than some highly regarded scouts had him ranked among their top 40 players in this draft. He was picked 73rd.

If Beebe can successfully transition to Center (and it could take some time for the adjustment to take hold), he might be a significant upgrade that directly affects the pocket security of Dak Prescott, and has a huge impact on the Cowboys power running game.

How might this affect the Cowboys in the near term, and later this coming season? Well, last year the Cowboys spent a 6th round pick on a RB who is small in stature, but quick to the hole, and explosive after he hits the hole. If Berne can improve the interior blocking, the Cowboys have a much better chance to recoup the investment they made in Deuce Vaughn.

Also, the Cowboys have questions on the edge, with Rookie Tyler Guyton adjusting from the right side to the left side, and undrafted wunderkind Terence Steele coming off a disappointing season that followed a knee injury. Bringing back Zeke Elliott at RB may be more about helping out the pass protection for Dak than it is getting running game production from him. Zeke is well known as one of the best blocking backs in Pass Pro in the NFL. If Zeke can help with pass protection while the rookies adjust to the NFL, and while Steele hopefully gets back to the form that earned him a big contract, then the investment in Zeke could pay off - even without great production from him in the running game.

But they key to making this work is getting a big nasty Center that can hold down the middle of the line against the strong interior Dlinemen in the Division, and create space for the running game to operate efficiently.

That’s a big “if.” But all the rookies, and many of the 2nd year players remain “ifs” right now - until we see them perform. But the Cowboys at least have a plan. We’ll see if the risks they’ve taken will pay off. The key factor will be if the Cowboys grow stronger as the season progresses.
Center is the most important OL position to have stability. Stability leads to winning:

Manders, Fritzgerald, and Raferty late 60's,70's, and early 80's Cowboys Dynasty. Yes 3 decades and only 3 centers that is why you had all those consecutive winning, playoff, NFC Championship, and Super Bowl seasons.

Stepnoski, Ray Donaldson/Crawford Ker 90's Cowboys Dynasty. Step held it down from 1989-1994 with back to back Super Bowl seasons 1992-1993

Andre Groude, Parcells years Cowboys return to the playoffs First-team All-Pro (2007) Second-team All-Pro (2009) 5× Pro Bowl (20062010)

Travis Fredrick, First-team All-Pro (2016) 2× Second-team All-Pro (2014, 2015) 5× Pro Bowl (20142017, 2019) PFWA All-Rookie Team (2013), Cowboys immediately felled to 6-10 in 2020 without Fred Beard.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
in your mind maybe
or in the mind of a mediocre coach like Ginger
Or in the minds of every GM in the NFL. How many tackles have been drafted in the top 10 over the years. Countless. Know how many of that super important position Center have been drafted in the top 10 in the last 1/2 century? ZERO
50 freaking years and not a single Center drafted in the top 10. I wonder why if it's so crucial. Know the other two positions that haven't gone in the top 10 for 50 years? Punter and Kicker. Every other position has... even guards.

kskboys

Reaction score

I'm not saying C isn't important. It is important but there's a hierarchy and it's always been
There's an argument to make for most every position. I alway think of the Bears from a few years ago. They'll tell you how important Kickers are.
I think BSPN made that list.

kskboys

Reaction score

They really aren't.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The QB calls the protection package and then the Center calls the line assignments.
The center CAN call the line assignments, but it is not a requirement. When Looney had to fill in for Frederick he was not calling the line assignments.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good stuff Jumbo.

The center position is critical to any team’s offensive success. Other than the QB, it’s the most cerebral position on the field requiring the ability to read defensive alignments and make protection calls. And they must be accurate snapping the ball, often with a 300 lb defensive lineman face guarding them.

I am excited about drafting Bebee. He’s tough, durable and has tons of upside. But as you said, there will probably be a learning curve if he’s plugged in at center. The center position is not instantly mastered, especially when in the case of Bebee, he has never played center. Patience will be required.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
I think BSPN made that list.
You don't know football then. Anyone on here can tell you that's the big 5... QB, LT, DE, WR1, CB. It's not something i made up. Think about it, in the past 50 years there a 3 positions that haven't been drafted in the top 10 picks... Kicker, Punter and Center. That should explain it to you.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson once said that Center was the most important position on the O line. He makes all the calls and handles the ball on every play. Thats enough for me. I feel Beebe is gonna be a good one for quite awhile.
I tend to agree with this.

People took notice of the Dallas OL in 2014 after acquiring Zack Martin, but we were already a top 5 OL in 2013 with the addition of Travis Frederick.

Realistically, the OL was never anything special after he was forced to hang 'em up.

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson once said that Center was the most important position on the O line. He makes all the calls and handles the ball on every play. Thats enough for me. I feel Beebe is gonna be a good one for quite awhile.
He helps anchor the all important middle of the line, keeps the pocket clean, is key on run blocking with double teams and linebacker pickup on the second level, makes the line calls. Some people blow centers off but they're wrong, it's a key position.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Or in the minds of every GM in the NFL. How many tackles have been drafted in the top 10 over the years. Countless. Know how many of that super important position Center have been drafted in the top 10 in the last 1/2 century? ZERO
50 freaking years and not a single Center drafted in the top 10. I wonder why if it's so crucial. Know the other two positions that haven't gone in the top 10 for 50 years? Punter and Kicker. Every other position has... even guards.
GMs are so well known as a group for always getting things right. I mean LOOK at all the QBs
Then why is it that COACHES say its important? Tell me that? Who knows actual football better. GM's or coaches?
I bet I could ask every HC that has won it all about how important centers are and they would ALL laugh at you.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
GMs are so well known as a group for always getting things right. I mean LOOK at all the QBs
Then why is it that COACHES say its important? Tell me that? Who knows actual football better. GM's or coaches?
I bet I could ask every HC that has won it all about how important centers are and they would ALL laugh at you.
50 years of not one NFL team drafting a Center in the top 10. 50 freaking years and not one team thought a Center was worth a valuable pick. 50 loooooong years and not one human who walked this earth was drafted high at the Center position. I don't understand how you can't see this.
Center is important. Having a crappy Center sucks... but there is a hierarchy of importance and Center isn't on that list.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
was it a former coach that wrote this?
nope, but it's common knowledge. Again, just look at the draft. All the great teams and dynasties we've had from Pittsburgh to Miami to Dallas to San Fran to KC not one of these teams drafted a Center high. No one has for 50 years.