How is Greg Ellis a great pass rusher?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I won't respond to this. I genuinely want you to explain to me how Greg Ellis is a great pass rusher? I'm not talking his run stopping abilities. I'm not talking about his overall value to the team. I'm not talking about his monetary value. I'm talking about his ability to rush the passer and that's all.

Please explain to me how Greg Ellis is an asset as a pass rusher. I just find it hard to believe how anyone can argue Ellis is a threat as a pass rusher when he has failed to notch double digit sacks in 7 seasons in the NFL. He has not been consistent either. He has two seasons with 3 sacks and one with 6 sacks. He does not get double teamed on a consistent basis so you won't convince me of that.

I won't respond to this.

How is Greg Ellis a threat as a pass rusher?

JDSmith

Reaction score
He's a great pass rusher in this scheme. Which means he's as good as anyone would be in our 'run first' defense. If we played a more attacking D on the line he'd have more sacks, but we'd give up even more big runs when our undersized LBs were exposed and abused.

DipChit

Reaction score
You dont think theres ever enough 3rd and long scenarios over the course of a season, JD, to where any of our Ends should be in nothing much more than "pin your ears back" mode? Thus oweing to more sacks regardless of 1st and 2nd down scheme?

I too think he's a fine player for what he does. But he might as well be a Tony Tolbert or Jim Jeffcoat type player. If you dont have a Haley type to compliment them then you arent going to raise a bunch of hell in the backfield.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I won't respond to this. I genuinely want you to explain to me how Greg Ellis is a great pass rusher? I'm not talking his run stopping abilities. I'm not talking about his overall value to the team. I'm not talking about his monetary value. I'm talking about his ability to rush the passer and that's all.

Please explain to me how Greg Ellis is an asset as a pass rusher. I just find it hard to believe how anyone can argue Ellis is a threat as a pass rusher when he has failed to notch double digit sacks in 7 seasons in the NFL. He has not been consistent either. He has two seasons with 3 sacks and one with 6 sacks. He does not get double teamed on a consistent basis so you won't convince me of that.

I won't respond to this.

who's ever said he was a GREAT pass rusher? Most people give him credit for beign what he is, a very good all around NFL DE...your consistency argument is pretty stupid, considering one of his 3 sack seasons was his rookie yr, and the other was the yr coming off a severely broken leg...to say he isnt double teamed consistently shows you dont watch the games either, because he does...and he does what he does without much help from the scheme or the RDE spot...

David

jimmy40

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

I won't respond to this.

Who said he was?

jimmy40

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
We didn't draft Ellis to be a pass rusher as I recall.
If Jerry Jones drafts a defensive end it's a pretty safe bet they aren't pass rushers.

Woods

Reaction score
Ellis is good, not great.

But he's good enough to be a piece of the puzzle, IMO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:

I won't respond to this.

EFFORT. .............

Smith22

Reaction score
My thing is, why to people constantly bring his name up like he is the reason our defense sucks or something. Try looking at Wiley, Carson, our LB'ers, our secondary, etc.....

Ellis is an above average DE who can get to the QB but isn't a great pass rusher. He will get you 7+ sacks a year, give or take a sack. He is one of the few DL we have who seems to swat passess down at the LOS as well, not to mention he is solid against the run.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Ellis is a good player - nothing more, nothing less. He's 4th in the NFC in sacks, so it's not like he's terrible at creating pressure. But by no means is he an elite pass rusher or playmaker along the defensive line (look no further than his career sack marks). He's a sturdy, well-rounded player that is good to have around, but we desperately need someone that is more of a pure-pass rushing nature on the other side.

Duane

Reaction score
Dale said:
Ellis is a good player - nothing more, nothing less. He's 4th in the NFC in sacks, so it's not like he's terrible at creating pressure. But by no means is he an elite pass rusher or playmaker along the defensive line (look no further than his career sack marks). He's a sturdy, well-rounded player that is good to have around, but we desperately need someone that is more of a pure-pass rushing nature on the other side.
Agreed. Ellis is a average pass rusher and above average run stopper. He plays smart and plays hard every down. I don't think we could ask for a whole lot more.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Duane said:
Agreed. Ellis is a average pass rusher and above average run stopper. He plays smart and plays hard every down. I don't think we could ask for a whole lot more.

Well said Duane...

My thoughts exactly.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
You and I are in agreement. I'm really directing this question at those who think Ellis is an asset as a pass rusher. Yes, I know he is a hearty boyscout who is good overal and dependable. But on 3rd and long, how do your trust Greg Ellis?

Well, in comparison to our other defensive line standouts, I guess Ellis is a superstar pass rusher. :D

scottsp

Reaction score
I don't recall anyone claiming Ellis to be a great defensive end, much less a pass rusher. I don't know that I could call him solid.

He's a bit better than average in my book.

This one is laughable, fellas.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
who's ever said he was a GREAT pass rusher? Most people give him credit for beign what he is, a very good all around NFL DE...your consistency argument is pretty stupid, considering one of his 3 sack seasons was his rookie yr, and the other was the yr coming off a severely broken leg...to say he isnt double teamed consistently shows you dont watch the games either, because he does...and he does what he does without much help from the scheme or the RDE spot...

David

Shaun Ellis had 8.5 sacks during his rookie year. According to you Greg Ellis is better than Shaun Ellis. If Shaun can get 8.5 sacks during his rookie year why couldn't Greg Ellis?

To excuse Greg Ellis for getting only 3 sacks because he was a rookie is rather weak considering he was the 8th overall pick. Dwight Freeny had 13 sacks during his rookie year and he was the 11th overall pick. You are just providing excuse after excuse after excuse.......

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Smith22 said:
My thing is, why to people constantly bring his name up like he is the reason our defense sucks or something. Try looking at Wiley, Carson, our LB'ers, our secondary, etc.....

Ellis is an above average DE who can get to the QB but isn't a great pass rusher. He will get you 7+ sacks a year, give or take a sack. He is one of the few DL we have who seems to swat passess down at the LOS as well, not to mention he is solid against the run.

Ellis has 8 passes defensed on the last team stat sheet I saw...leads the team in that category...

David