How long before Nolan is fired and George Edwards takes over as DC?

Beaker42

Reaction score
its been 2 friggin games without a real offseason/preseason...give it a rest please
That excuse doesn’t fly - no other teams had OS/PS games either. Nolan’s bad and his D is bad. We haven’t seen anything yet these first two games compared to what RW’s gonna do to this D.

quickccc

Reaction score
No way man....I've gone back and watched both games......breaking down both frame by frame. We are an abomination on defense. There is a huge disconnect between the front office...and the personnel they provided....and what Nolan is trying to run. D-Law in coverage??? Griffin in coverage???? Aldon in coverage???? Come on man....Nolan isn't putting the players in the best position to succeed. He's forcing his junk scheme on the players...and it just isn't working. The 3-4 defense is dead in the NFL. And the teams that still try and run it....stick out like a sore thumb. Offenses can run 3 and 4 WR sets....getting LBer in mis-matches. It's a bad recipe for success. I wouldn't trust any of our DE...playing out of position as LBers to cover a fast TE or WR. It's just not going to work.

you still have winning, competitive teams that run the 3-4:

-Steelers still run their tradtional 3-4 scheme with TJ Watt and Bud Dupree

-Ravens still run their 3-4 team, maybe a change up hybrid at times.

-Titans operates in the 3-4 ...ditto with Packers as its been a long tradition with them as well.

-Rams and Arizona continues to do with the same 3-4 schemes

quickccc

Reaction score
If I'm being honest, Nolan hire caught me a little off guard, especially considering MM had an entire year to line up his staff.

How do you figure that ?
When coaches like Tomsula....Edwards.. were still on NFL teams in 2019 ..?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
you still have winning, competitive teams that run the 3-4:

-Steelers still run their tradtional 3-4 scheme with TJ Watt and Bud Dupree

-Ravens still run their 3-4 team, maybe a change up hybrid at times.

-Titans operates in the 3-4 ...ditto with Packers as its been a long tradition with them as well.

-Rams and Arizona continues to do with the same 3-4 schemes

Please watch more football.....

Steelers....beat Giants/Denver. Color me unimpressed.

Ravens have been *****ing for years they can't rush the QB.

Titans just signed Clowney....because they couldn't rush the passer....running a 3-4

Packers ......NFL lining up as many soup cans as possible to get Rodgers another ring. Only time they get pressure is when they dump the 3-4.

Rams....Only reason it sorta works for them...is because Aaron Donald is unblockable.

Arizona...couldn't stop anybody last year....finally went out and loaded up on D.....and have a unique player in Isiah Simmons that allows them to play many fronts/disguises.

Everybody is running a 4-2-5 now....It's basically a nickle defense..w/ a box safety playing down....to make it look like a 4-3. Most successful teams employ this. It's not rocket science. All you got to do is look @ Nolan's track record of wrecking every defense he's ever got his hands on.

quickccc

Reaction score

Take them as a totality over the years

They have one of the better pass rushers in Matt Judon

Titans just signed Clowney....because they couldn't rush the passer....running a 3-4
titans upset Pats, ravens and almost upset KC Chiefs in playoffs-2019 ..without a Clowney

Packers ......NFL lining up as many soup cans as possible to get Rodgers another ring. Only time they get pressure is when they dump the 3-4.
they don't dump it and anyone with an IQ saw the rush impact twin Smith pass rushers (Preston Smith, Zureil Za'Darius Smith) did for their defense.
the biggest questionable flaw is their inability to stop the run.

Rams....Only reason it sorta works for them...is because Aaron Donald is unblockable.
Wade Phillips had that 3-4 scheme in the SB vs Pats. ..

Arizona...couldn't stop anybody last year....finally went out and loaded up on D.....and have a unique player in Isiah Simmons that allows them to play many fronts/disguises.
Along with Chandler Jones who has been the most productive sack artist in NFL over the last few years...

Everybody is running a 4-2-5 now....It's basically a nickle defense..w/ a box safety playing down....to make it look like a 4-3. Most successful teams employ this. It's not rocket science. All you got to do is look @ Nolan's track record of wrecking every defense he's ever got his hands on.

kskboys

Reaction score

I actually had not thought about this. Hmmmmmmm.....

Maybe the 3-4 only works when hardly anyone is running it. You must have a monster NT, 2 disruptive 300 pounders, and 2 highly athletic OLB's who can both rush and stop the run. When no one was running it, Belly and PITT had it easy. Maybe there's not enough personnel to spread around to have several good ones?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I actually had not thought about this. Hmmmmmmm.....

Maybe the 3-4 only works when hardly anyone is running it. You must have a monster NT, 2 disruptive 300 pounders, and 2 highly athletic OLB's who can both rush and stop the run. When no one was running it, Belly and PITT had it easy. Maybe there's not enough personnel to spread around to have several good ones?

I could buy that....we definitely don't have the people to run a successful 3-4 that's for sure....Honestly...we just don't have the LBers.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh, and something else. Used to, you could get those huge NT's on the cheap. Now, they want to be paid also, and you simply cannot afford everyone.

kskboys

Reaction score
I could buy that....we definitely don't have the people to run a successful 3-4 that's for sure....Honestly...we just don't have the LBers.
Yeah, I don't know the exact reasons, I'm just throwing a few thoughts out there.

That's why Belly switched back. Suddenly, it was easy to get 260-270 lb DE's. I always thought, that is.

Zman5

Reaction score
Yeah I get it. Only 2 games. Hence why I said “not calling for him to be fired”. But NOBODY had an off-season/pre-season. Defense very far from good right now.

Nobody had an offseason but not all teams got a new HC/DC and a new scheme. That's a lot a changes for both the coaches and the players to get adjusted to and not having an offseason makes it that much harder.

Not saying Nolan has been great but I'm willing to give him and the players more time than just 2 weeks with the new scheme.

quickccc

Reaction score

whether 3-4 or -4-3..i'm already questioning the LB play.. from under-productive to injury prone, i'm already aiming to see an overhaul of the LBs
next season, i even tend to wonder if CeeDee Lamb did not drop to our 1st rd spot, would we have pulled the trigger on Sooner LB Keith Murray
as it was strongly reported Cowboys were very interested in him. ( Still think LSU K'Lavon Chaisson rumor was more media driven)

Since Cowboys seemed well invested in Jaylon Smith and LVE, i didn't pay that rumor much attention ..until now.

Proof

Reaction score
lol.. many here said it was Marinelli...lol
players talking about being multiple, disguising, Richard not letting CBS turnaround, MARINELLI system, Marinelli system that...lol I told you'll it's the players or lack of playmakers.

One player said it. Jaylon. Who coincidentally already struggles snd isn’t flanked by LVE and Sean Lee rn.

lockster

Reaction score
We can't make the switch fast enough! Nolan wants to be like Landry, but you can't coach effectively forcing squares into round holes, and walking around like a stick is up Ur "#@++. Landry found this out himself the hard way after he was fired. It was time for Landry to go.

mperfection

Reaction score
I was against the Nolan hiring from day 1! I’m sure he’s a great person, but I’ve never been a fan of his defenses. And it sickens me to see him continually try to put a square peg in a round hole by having Griffen and Tank Lawrence stand up in his so-called ‘hybrid’ 3-4 scheme when they are OBVIOUSLY built to have their hand in the ground in a 4-3 scheme. Aldon Smith is obviously comfortable with it because he did it in college and at San Fran, not these guys.

And this is just a sampling of his ineptitude to build a championship defense...

Blue64

Reaction score
For the record, I’m not calling for Nolan to be fired. I actually think it was a decent hire. But with the defense struggling and there already being talk of “simplifying the scheme”, I could see Nolan eventually being fired. Especially if they continue to struggle once fully healthy. George Edwards is already on staff and could step in, running more of a traditional 4-3. That would fit players like Everson Griffen and D-Law better most likely. Thoughts?
That will happen at the end of the season after this team finishes falls short of the postseason.
If there’s one thing Jerry does not want to do is rock the boat during the season... might disrupt the flow and chemistry what not

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That will happen at the end of the season after this team finishes falls short of the postseason.
If there’s one thing Jerry does not want to do is rock the boat during the season... might disrupt the flow and chemistry what not

mike made a mistake hiring his buddy to run the defense.

Edwards is probably being blocked out of the planning.

they probably have him coaching LBs.

no wonder this team struggles.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Simplifying the system.....to what? A coloring book and crayons? Jaylon with his words has proven to be a mental midget and you won’t be able to simplify a system enough for him. Well done Jerry, another stellar signing, between him and DLaw you must really getting your money’s worth,

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

except there is no chemistry, just a bunch of overpaid individuals