How long does Witten last at MNF?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
tonight was first time I’d heard him and he was awful.

He’d do well right before the snap calling out coverage but in breaking down what happened and trying to make conversation he was atrocious.

Booger actually schooled him and he doesn’t have the overhead view Witten does.

I can see ESPN going to a 2 man booth next year with Booger. Witten is clearly the 3rd wheel.

He’ll be even worse for our game because he will want to stay impartial but the nerves I can see getting to him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't listen to him but how long is that contract? They're not in the financial position to be paying off a contract but they could move him to one of the pregame shows.

The real question is how long can ESPN continue to bleed to the NFL for the rights to MNF?

dstew60105

Reaction score

He’d do well right before the snap calling out coverage but in breaking down what happened and trying to make conversation he was atrocious.

I can see ESPN going to a 2 man booth next year with Booger. Witten is clearly the 3rd wheel.

He’ll be even worse for our game because he will want to stay impartial but the nerves I can see getting to him.

I think Witten is a work in progress. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he doesn't seem comfortable.

foofighters

Reaction score
Karma...

I am probably on the unpopular side that I am actually a little giddy because he isn't very good. I loved Witten but wasn't crazy with the timing of his departure from our team. I felt like he was kinda sticking it to us. He made a bad decision in going to MNF. That's like where announcers go to die. I listened the other day for a few minutes and had turn it. MNF is still awful.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He just seems unnatural when he's speaking.

We all know Wit knows football better than 99% of people, but he can't articulate that knowledge in a relatable way.

If he doesn't improve, I bet we won't see him next season. Much like Emmitt as ESPN; there and gone and in a flash.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think many thought his personality and speaking style made it doubtful of his suitability
But most of us felt that about Aikman before he did it.

Witten is trying too hard and he's trying to do the one thing that annoys me more than anything from color guys, trying to inject excitement with his voice. Talking faster and louder does not increase value in the game. And I do not fault him but the director, he is not a professional yet but the director is supposed to be.

But, how many people select a game off who's doing the color? I have never watched a game based on that but there are some that I just will not listen to, Beth Mowins for one. Do we think anyone devotes 3.5 hours to listening to Romo do the color? Either I am interested in the game or not, the play by play guy or color guy doesn't enter into it. And I am not as enamored with Romo as some are. And they need to mask the ambient sound of the game more and tell him to speak up.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
another game? I want him to do well, but he is bad. We'll see how patient they are with him. That whole production is amateur hour.

cern

Reaction score
espn decided to look for the all American boy. they found that in witten. but that, in and of itself, doesn't spell success in the booth. the idea is to be both informative and entertaining. take the old Monday night group of Gifford, Cosell and meredity. Gifford the informative one. Cosell ever the grandstanding, blowhard. and Meredith the much needed comic relief, one that could provide actual football insight and also shut up the ever loquacious, buffoonish Cosell. what witten needs is a pairing of personalities that will provide entertainment.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I haven't witnessed his MNF stint yet, but it surprises me to hear that he's bad at it. In all the interviews I've seen, he's always been very articulate and concise.
It must be nerves.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think he's doing a good job. Been getting better every week and he's only been on that job for a couple of months.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He just seems unnatural when he's speaking.

We all know Wit knows football better than 99% of people, but he can't articulate that knowledge in a relatable way.

If he doesn't improve, I bet we won't see him next season. Much like Emmitt as ESPN; there and gone and in a flash.
Emmitt's was a different issue, butchering the English language and stumbling. One of my contacts from when they were a client of mine said they had far too many complaints from African-American school teachers about Emmitt's abuse of the English language. He represented a college educated black man to millions of young people and they didn't want that as a model.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Well, worst come worst, Witten take over for Babe, at least.

Why in the world would they want him? He's awful. I am not a fan of Babe but he runs circles around Witten in terms of broadcasting. Witten belongs on one of the C list teams doing spare matchups. Booger is much better.

Witten got this job because of Romo. They saw him become a hit and thought Witten could do the same. But if you ever heard Witten do his radio shows on the local stations, you'd know he is no fit for the booth.