How long does Witten last at MNF?

alicetooljam

Reaction score
It doesnt help him that the games havent been any good up until this week...putting more attention on the announcers.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
They didn't do him any favors with Tessitore and McFarland, they're not A list by any stretch, they were SEC regional broadcasters and McFarland was in studio. Romo, Moose, Aikman got vets to work with and a director from a network. For all we know, ESPN could have fired their best directors in one of their blood baths. There has been a lot of "behind the scenes" bloodletting.

I didn't listen to this last game but have to two other games and one thing is apparent, the play by play guy is supposed to be the dog and the color guy, the tail, and it does not seem that way between Tessitore and Witten. He's leaving too much of an opening for Witten and there is actually no good reason to have a 3rd guy chiming in from a damned carnival ride chair.

Listen to how Buck and Nantz lead in Aikman and Romo, it seems natural but the one on MNF is forced. But one thing I discovered just this last week. Did you know Troy was a HOFer? Buck keeps forgetting and has to remind himself every time he talks to him.

I know Witten passed the audition and Favre failed but I wonder how much they wanted to do the job entered into it? Anything ESPN does these days has a $ value attached to it and they are still bleeding and can't cut enough employees.

The great ones have a feel for the moment, their partners and a lyrical nuance to calling games.

I will never forget (had to be the mid 80's) watching a Bronco's game on NBC and they were blowing somebody out and they put the back-up QB in and he immediately scored. They had a shot of both QB's standing on the sidelines from behind and their numbers were 18 & 12.

Dick Enberg said...

"It's truly been an 1812 Overture today for the Broncos."

Just brilliant.

(For reference if you don't know the 1812 Overture is the William Tell Overture and trust me - you've heard it a hundred times)

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If he pulls another rabbit out of his head, he may not finish the season.

Feel bad for Wit. Great guy, completely out of his element doing live TV. Play by play guy is awful and dude's are named Booger for a reason. The entire cast will be clean slated at the end of the season.

Gadfly22

Reaction score
The great ones have a feel for the moment, their partners and a lyrical nuance to calling games.

I will never forget (had to be the mid 80's) watching a Bronco's game on NBC and they were blowing somebody out and they put the back-up QB in and he immediately scored. They had a shot of both QB's standing on the sidelines from behind and their numbers were 18 & 12.

Dick Enberg said...

"It's truly been an 1812 Overture today for the Broncos."

Just brilliant.

(For reference if you don't know the 1812 Overture is the William Tell Overture and trust me - you've heard it a hundred times)

I can't speak to the Enberg quote, but the 1812 Overture (the one with cannons, by Tchaikovsky) is not the William Tell Overture (the Lone Ranger one, by Rossini).

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I haven't witnessed his MNF stint yet, but it surprises me to hear that he's bad at it. In all the interviews I've seen, he's always been very articulate and concise.
It must be nerves.
It's gotta be tough to try to come up with stuff to talk about for 3 hours straight and remain interesting. That being said, he's terrible at it. He's always struck me as being very flat and stoic, with not much of a personality. Not that any of that's a knock on him as a person, but those are not qualities that transition well to being someone that people want to listen to for a whole football game.

John813

Reaction score
Thought he was ok last Monday.

Think some are just over-analyzing him.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's gotta be tough to try to come up with stuff to talk about for 3 hours straight and remain interesting. That being said, he's terrible at it. He's always struck me as being very flat and stoic, with not much of a personality. Not that any of that's a knock on him as a person, but those are not qualities that transition well to being someone that people want to listen to for a whole football game.
Aikman always struck me the same way, but he's not bad. Not my favorite, by a long shot, but he's very professional.
As @CouchCoach said, it might have helped to be mentored by a veteran of the trade.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
another game? I want him to do well, but he is bad. We'll see how patient they are with him. That whole production is amateur hour.
I think they'll give him the season and then make the change before next year.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Aikman always struck me the same way, but he's not bad. Not my favorite, by a long shot, but he's very professional.
Yeah, I never really was a big fan of him in the booth, but I do think that he and Buck together work well. Individually I don't think I could stand to listen to either one but they have a good flow between them that plays well to the audience.

GenoT

Reaction score
Six games into his “rookie” season...give Witten a break, lol!

While many here are likely too young to remember, I can recall John Madden’s first year (1979) with CBS. He was absolutely horrible; looked bad and sounded worse. But he eventually got it together.

The difference is, Madden started out as part of one of CBS’ secondary announcing teams, whereas Witten debuted on MNF.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't witnessed his MNF stint yet, but it surprises me to hear that he's bad at it. In all the interviews I've seen, he's always been very articulate and concise.
It must be nerves.

The little I've watched I don't think he is bad. To me he is simply ordinary. Generally his analysis is good, but he's a little matter of fact and stoic sometimes - not a lot of personality shining through. Maybe that will come with time? Or is that just how he is?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The little I've watched I don't think he is bad. To me he is simply ordinary. Generally his analysis is good, but he's a little matter of fact and stoic sometimes - not a lot of personality shining through. Maybe that will come with time? Or is that just how he is?
He seems to be pretty low key, in anything I've seen. I saw one of those hour long biopics on him (forget the name of the show) and he never really seems to get excited about anything.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He seems to be pretty low key, in anything I've seen. I saw one of those hour long biopics on him (forget the name of the show) and he never really seems to get excited about anything.

That's exactly it. The content is good, but the delivery doesn't grab the viewer. I don't think it's as bad or awkward as some think, but it's not something that a viewer gets wrapped up in either.

9darter

Reaction score
How long does he last? Hopefully not much longer. Can't stand that weak, pathetic, entitled, brown-nosed yes man clown. Good thing he's no longer a Cowboy.

Verdict

Reaction score
Emmitt's was a different issue, butchering the English language and stumbling. One of my contacts from when they were a client of mine said they had far too many complaints from African-American school teachers about Emmitt's abuse of the English language. He represented a college educated black man to millions of young people and they didn't want that as a model.

Emmitt: That team commit way to many "pelaties".

Emmitt: He do that real good.

Emmitt: They carouse the quarterback.

Emmitt: Doing that against a team like New England will get you completely "blowed out".

Emmitt: That offense "do" look good.

There was never anyone like Garrett.