How long does Witten last at MNF?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can't listen to him but how long is that contract? They're not in the financial position to be paying off a contract but they could move him to one of the pregame shows.

The real question is how long can ESPN continue to bleed to the NFL for the rights to MNF?
Exactly my sentiments. How long will MNF survive on ESPN ?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He's fine. His insights and delivery are fine, he just has some awkward timing, which is made kind of worse because Tessitore is milquetoast and Keyshawn is awful. They need to just go back to one play by play, one color, and a sideline reporter who only chimes in when they go to him/her.

Like everyone, I don't like Joe Buck and Aikman, but I will say that they are excellent at playing off of each other. Some of that is just learned behavior that Witten doesn't have yet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't witnessed his MNF stint yet, but it surprises me to hear that he's bad at it. In all the interviews I've seen, he's always been very articulate and concise.
It must be nerves.
They didn't do him any favors with Tessitore and McFarland, they're not A list by any stretch, they were SEC regional broadcasters and McFarland was in studio. Romo, Moose, Aikman got vets to work with and a director from a network. For all we know, ESPN could have fired their best directors in one of their blood baths. There has been a lot of "behind the scenes" bloodletting.

I didn't listen to this last game but have to two other games and one thing is apparent, the play by play guy is supposed to be the dog and the color guy, the tail, and it does not seem that way between Tessitore and Witten. He's leaving too much of an opening for Witten and there is actually no good reason to have a 3rd guy chiming in from a damned carnival ride chair.

Listen to how Buck and Nantz lead in Aikman and Romo, it seems natural but the one on MNF is forced. But one thing I discovered just this last week. Did you know Troy was a HOFer? Buck keeps forgetting and has to remind himself every time he talks to him.

I know Witten passed the audition and Favre failed but I wonder how much they wanted to do the job entered into it? Anything ESPN does these days has a $ value attached to it and they are still bleeding and can't cut enough employees.

Swanny

Reaction score
tonight was first time I’d heard him and he was awful.

He’d do well right before the snap calling out coverage but in breaking down what happened and trying to make conversation he was atrocious.

Booger actually schooled him and he doesn’t have the overhead view Witten does.

I can see ESPN going to a 2 man booth next year with Booger. Witten is clearly the 3rd wheel.

He’ll be even worse for our game because he will want to stay impartial but the nerves I can see getting to him.
I have watched about 10 minutes total of Monday night football this year. I do think he is terrible. But my sample size is very small

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They didn't do him any favors with Tessitore and McFarland, they're not A list by any stretch, they were SEC regional broadcasters and McFarland was in studio. Romo, Moose, Aikman got vets to work with and a director from a network. For all we know, ESPN could have fired their best directors in one of their blood baths. There has been a lot of "behind the scenes" bloodletting.

I didn't listen to this last game but have to two other games and one thing is apparent, the play by play guy is supposed to be the dog and the color guy, the tail, and it does not seem that way between Tessitore and Witten. He's leaving too much of an opening for Witten and there is actually no good reason to have a 3rd guy chiming in from a damned carnival ride chair.

Listen to how Buck and Nantz lead in Aikman and Romo, it seems natural but the one on MNF is forced. But one thing I discovered just this last week. Did you know Troy was a HOFer? Buck keeps forgetting and has to remind himself every time he talks to him.

I know Witten passed the audition and Favre failed but I wonder how much they wanted to do the job entered into it? Anything ESPN does these days has a $ value attached to it and they are still bleeding and can't cut enough employees.
Spot on again. Not all star supporting cast.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I mean, however long his contract is. The idea that he’s being graded harshly by some TV exec in the sky after 6 weeks is pretty silly. FOX and CBS have an entire roster full of clowns calling games. I mean Simms seemed pretty thoroughly reviled and how long was he on the air and in the top booth no less?

robjay04

Reaction score
If Gruden gets fired, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t just change everything back.

Gruden was a very good announcer.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have watched about 10 minutes total of Monday night football this year. I do think he is terrible. But my sample size is very small
I could definitely see how you’d come to that conclusion. He’s definitely not polished.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He just seems unnatural when he's speaking.

We all know Wit knows football better than 99% of people, but he can't articulate that knowledge in a relatable way.

If he doesn't improve, I bet we won't see him next season. Much like Emmitt as ESPN; there and gone and in a flash.

I think that's the best way to put it. He needs to relax or something. The football IQ is evedent just needs to work on the delivery.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Garrett would be better. Maybe ESPN makes him an offer he can't refuse to get him away from here some day :clap: