How many bad contracts do we have left?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It couldn’t have anything to do with playcalling. Always up the gut runs. I like Pollard. I am not all in on Elliot. No pro Elliot or anti Elliot. I want to see a healthy Elliot and improved O-Line. Thats all I am saying. You could be right or I maybe. He has taken alot of abuse and reps for a player that should still be in his prime.

I dont think its play calling. Its all Zeke can do really and all he really does. They call outside runs for Pollard and inside. Zeke doenst bounce it outside because he knows he cant get there.

And not just about bouncing outside. When he gets through the line he doesnt get much farther anyway. All the stats about 20 yard runs and 40 yard runs for Zeke over the last 4 years are terrible. He doesnt make guys miss and cant make the big plays. He is limited.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I dont think its play calling. Its all Zeke can do really and all he really does. They call outside runs for Pollard and inside. Zeke doenst bounce it outside because he knows he cant get there.

And not just about bouncing outside. When he gets through the line he doesnt get much farther anyway. All the stats about 20 yard runs and 40 yard runs for Zeke over the last 4 years are terrible. He doesnt make guys miss and cant make the big plays. He is limited.
Elliot is all about running them over. With todays defenses it’s hard to get the edge.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to love those carry the load, rushing leader type work horses too. But in the scheme of today's NFL with the salary cap it makes little sense. And especially using high picks on such a short shelf life position.

I have also learned over the years that its more about the Oline. Spend the money on the line.

Seems you haven't learned much after all as since 2016 we had the BEST offline in the NFL and ended up with 1 Playoff win to show for it???
QR47DMEYUA2QBSYZDYEJBKISLA.jpg

Playmakers win SUPER BOWLS not offline man!!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems you haven't learned much after all as since 2016 we had the BEST offline in the NFL and ended up with 1 Playoff win to show for it???
QR47DMEYUA2QBSYZDYEJBKISLA.jpg

Playmakers win SUPER BOWLS not offline man!!!!
WE have not had the best O-line in the NFL all those years, Frederick was gone and his last peak year was 2017. Tyron Smith has had nagging back problems for 3 years. LG has been a weak spot for 3 years. La'el Collins hasn't been a top player since 2019. Really the only consistently strong, unwaivering position the last 3-4 years has been RG.

That said, I agree that it's more than O-Line. There have been other inconsistencies at almost every position, and the offense has mostly been pretty bad the last 6 years or so. Hopefully that is changing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I used to love those carry the load, rushing leader type work horses too. But in the scheme of today's NFL with the salary cap it makes little sense. And especially using high picks on such a short shelf life position.

I have also learned over the years that its more about the Oline. Spend the money on the line.
Yep...can't count on the backs.

Can't spend high picks and can't pay em well.

Nature of the position more than anything.

Even when you see a late first used on one here and there around the league it seems to be not worth it.

Definitely not anything unique to the DC. Hopefully that's behind us after this year... .but I do think it's important they draft one this year or they will likely give Pollard a 2nd deal....or end up tagging him like Schultz because there's no one else.

Nothing against Pollard except not wanting to give a second deal to any RB.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Tyron is the only one on this list that lived up to his money. He don’t owe Dallas a thing…
Yeah that deal ended up being like 10 years for 111 million which is a joke.

You can't even use the excuse of "oh he never plays" because even with that factored in his base rate is still only just barely over a million dollars per game (which is signficantly below current market rate)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yep...can't count on the backs.

Can't spend high picks and can't pay em well.

Nature of the position more than anything.

Even when you see a late first used on one here and there around the league it seems to be not worth it.

Definitely not anything unique to the DC. Hopefully that's behind us after this year... .but I do think it's important they draft one this year or they will likely give Pollard a 2nd deal....or end up tagging him like Schultz because there's no one else.

Nothing against Pollard except not wanting to give a second deal to any RB.

IF Pollard would sign a two year deal for around 3 or 4 million per year I would be all for that. Its not a good year for backs. If they can nab a talented one, fine, but they could easily wait until next year if they had do. Any back they pick this year will most likely sit on the bench all year. Maybe that would be a good thing learning the offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
WE have not had the best O-line in the NFL all those years, Frederick was gone and his last peak year was 2017. Tyron Smith has had nagging back problems for 3 years. LG has been a weak spot for 3 years. La'el Collins hasn't been a top player since 2019. Really the only consistently strong, unwaivering position the last 3-4 years has been RG.

That said, I agree that it's more than O-Line. There have been other inconsistencies at almost every position, and the offense has mostly been pretty bad the last 6 years or so. Hopefully that is changing.

Cowboys were #2 in passing offense and scoring in 2020 and in 2021.

Before Dak went down in 2020 they were averaging 36 points per game. This year I believe they averaged 31 points per game. Definitely was inconsistent 2nd half of the year when the Oline went south, but they were never bad.

I think most agree and certainly the FO of the Cowboys that the line is the #1 problem with the offense. If we can get the line top 7 I think we roll again on offense.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Everyone can get in on this one, even the Dak haters.

Jaylon Smith.....................Gone!
Cooper..............................Gone!
Collins...............................Gone!
Dak
Zeke
DLAW
Alexandra Davis
Jarwin
Schultz

Tussinman

Reaction score

Before Dak went down in 2020 they were averaging 36 points per game. This year I believe they averaged 31 points per game. Definitely was inconsistent 2nd half of the year when the Oline went south, but they were never bad.

I think most agree and certainly the FO of the Cowboys that the line is the #1 problem with the offense. If we can get the line top 7 I think we roll again on offense.
Yeah the o-line hate was unjustified last season.

I remember people getting butthurt towards the end of last year because multiple publications had the o-line top 5 but the numbers were in there favor (I remember one publication week 15 had the cowboys not even in the top 20 for pressures or sacks allowed, pass offense was ranked top 10, and run game had like 1400 yards with a 4.8 yard average).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah the o-line hate was unjustified last season.

I remember people getting butthurt towards the end of last year because multiple publications had the o-line top 5 but the numbers were in there favor (I remember one publication week 15 had the cowboys not even in the top 20 for pressures or sacks allowed, pass offense was ranked top 10, and run game had like 1400 yards with a 4.8 yard average).

I think you misunderstood. I am blaming most on the Oline. And yah I have seen the PFF rankings and they really are a mystery to me. Just all the penalties alone, which was one of the biggest problems should drop them down. Maybe PFF doesnt factor in penalties?

Now the Oline was playing incredible the first 8 games of the year. Opening up huge holes in the run game and plenty of time to throw. Heck even Zeke was averaging 5 ypc.

Smith getting hurt, Collins in for Steele, and Mcgovern coming in destroyed it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
IF Pollard would sign a two year deal for around 3 or 4 million per year I would be all for that. Its not a good year for backs. If they can nab a talented one, fine, but they could easily wait until next year if they had do. Any back they pick this year will most likely sit on the bench all year. Maybe that would be a good thing learning the offense.
Yes on Pollard, but I figure him to get offers elsewhere better.

Yeah it's a tough situation as far as drafting a guy to sit this year, and they have to be ahead of it.

I'd prefer that guy to actually play this year but we know that won't happen, so it creates an unlikely scenario.

The Elliott contract is a mistake that continues to compound itself beyond face value.

So....let's see what happens. We don't even know that they realize they better fix this run game when your OC runs around saying "yards are yards."

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes on Pollard, but I figure him to get offers elsewhere better.

Yeah it's a tough situation as far as drafting a guy to sit this year, and they have to be ahead of it.

I'd prefer that guy to actually play this year but we know that won't happen, so it creates an unlikely scenario.

The Elliott contract is a mistake that continues to compound itself beyond face value.

So....let's see what happens. We don't even know that they realize they better fix this run game when your OC runs around saying "yards are yards."

The fact that the OC continued to feature Zeke more and more late in the season and didnt sit him is very troubling. How he didnt play Pollard more is a mystery. And playing Zeke a heavy load the week before the SF playoff game if you knew you were going to feature Zeke again is really dumb. But a lot of this goes back to Zeke wanting to break 1000 yards. His selfishness and inability to sit when hurt really hurt this team. And the fact that the coaches catered to his whims is amazing to me.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The fact that the OC continued to feature Zeke more and more late in the season and didnt sit him is very troubling. How he didnt play Pollard more is a mystery. And playing Zeke a heavy load the week before the SF playoff game if you knew you were going to feature Zeke again is really dumb. But a lot of this goes back to Zeke wanting to break 1000 yards. His selfishness and inability to sit when hurt really hurt this team. And the fact that the coaches catered to his whims is amazing to me.
I'm thinking that a big part of that was the fact that our WR and Schultz couldn't pass block at all, and the one thing Elliott has left is that.

It's a domino effect thing for me. The run game must get better in order to be a better overall team, but that's not happening with Schultz at TE.

He ironically creates the need to pass more by whiffing on run blocks, then benefits from the check down stats.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood. I am blaming most on the Oline. And yah I have seen the PFF rankings and they really are a mystery to me. Just all the penalties alone, which was one of the biggest problems should drop them down. Maybe PFF doesnt factor in penalties?

Now the Oline was playing incredible the first 8 games of the year. Opening up huge holes in the run game and plenty of time to throw. Heck even Zeke was averaging 5 ypc.

Smith getting hurt, Collins in for Steele, and Mcgovern coming in destroyed it.
Yeah 2nd half went south but overall they where good. I thought that's what you where saying ("there not bad, 31 points per game and #2 in passing both 2020 and 2021").

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I didn't say the O-Line was bad, just that the O-Line hasn't been the best in the NFL for 6 straight years. There have been problems along the way. It could be argued that 2016 was really the peak for the O-Line, and that there has been slow, but sure decline since.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm thinking that a big part of that was the fact that our WR and Schultz couldn't pass block at all, and the one thing Elliott has left is that.

It's a domino effect thing for me. The run game must get better in order to be a better overall team, but that's not happening with Schultz at TE.

He ironically creates the need to pass more by whiffing on run blocks, then benefits from the check down stats.

The horrible TE blocking is definitely part of the problem. But they just need at least one good blocking TE in there. Hopefully they can find one in this draft.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Yeah that deal ended up being like 10 years for 111 million which is a joke.

You can't even use the excuse of "oh he never plays" because even with that factored in his base rate is still only just barely over a million dollars per game (which is signficantly below current market rate)

Agreed.. a lot of posters suffer from selective memory loss. Excuse them.